Ditch those tinted clear inners (RTI)!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Classicrock, Jul 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Not all of the pink inner sleeves leave a residue, in my experience. The more recent ones seem to be a bit better.

Regarding scuffs, it's not the inside of the pink inners that is a problem. It's the razor sharp edges of the openings. When removing or inserting records one has to be extremely careful to not cause little hairline marks when the vinyl comes in contact with the edges of the opening. I've even found some brand new RTI pressed records already with marks, presumably from the factory when the vinyl was first inserted into the pink inner.

Tommyboy likes this.
  2. arem

arem Forum Resident

I always change out records with RTI's sleeves as soon as I buy them. All of the Music Matters stuff, Impex, those Hendrix reissues, etc. It would make so much more sense if they started started using the Sleeve City Ultimate Inners, and it couldn't cost that much more.

DeRosa likes this.
  3. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

4. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Are you kidding? Wasting $$ on audiofool mofi sleeves? They're about 40 cents each, or less. Do you really consider 40 cents a waste of $ to preserve a $30 record?

5. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I swap everything out for Mofi sleeves and I have about 1,400 albums and have never seen any type of residue left from the Mofi sleeves. I won't shy away from anything Mofi produces...I have about 50 of their vinyl recordings and a couple dozen of their CDs and I am very happy with all of them.

Mofi produces quality recordings and I wish there were more companies doing this. People like to get on here and bash them, they remind me of wine snobs...whatever.

6. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

QRP sleeves from Acoustic Sounds are an exact match to Mofi's and cost far less if shipped in the lower 48.

Dmann201 and Opeth like this.
  7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

The first time I ever saw pink sleeves was on First Rays. I thought Hmmm.... Looked at the record and saw scuff marks, played the records a few times and then decided the pink inners had to go. Replaced them with the Sleeve City poly sleeves. Then I bought Axis and saw the pink sleeve again and instead of Hmmm I thought WTF?! is it with these sleeves? Promptly looked at the vinyl and it too was scuffed. I replaced it immediately. However, I did not throw them away I keep them on the inside because they are part of the original packaging. And apparently Judas Priest Nostradamus was even worse, pictured below stolen from another thread here on the forums

[​IMG]

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/judas-priest-nostradamus-lp-packaging-issue.389584/

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You make perfect sense. In addition it makes the OP look sort of foolish

9. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Perhaps one should read my post completely before trying to be a smart ****.

Use the cheap 5 cent U shaped poly sleeves. Does the same job as the mofi sleeves but never leave a residue.

And yes, I do think the mofi inner sleeves are a waste of money when you compare them to the U shaped poly sleeves.

If you need real quality sleeves when there is no cardboard inner, the Cover 33 polyline paper with rounded edges for easy insertion and removal are superb. white or black, your choice
    http://www.covers33.co.uk/shop/record-paper-covers/12-white-paper-polylined-sleeve-pack-of-1000/

10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'll get these next time if they are cheaper since they are the same as the mofi's

Thanks

11. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

Turntable likes this.
  12. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Luckily the latest Hendrix releases are QRP and they include the nice "rice paper" type liners.

13. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Glad I saw this post as I recently purchased Astral Weeks 180 gram, thought that inner sleeve was suspect so replaced with Mofi sleeve.

14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The only thing ive noticed is they seem to leave hairline scratches...a little like plain paper sleeves can. So ive been gradually replacing these. I think pull these records in out of these a few times and you'll see the issue...

MikeInFla likes this.
  15. ARCCJ

ARCCJ Forum Resident

I share your opinion, no problems here on several discs so am not panicking either ;)

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member Thread Starter

I like the U shaped sleeves in conjunction with an existing paper or card inner. On their own they are rather thin and don't offer much support while being prone to folding and creasing when inserting in a sleeve. I find the Mo-Fi better in this respect as a direct replacement for the pink sleeves. I use them sparingly and the price in relation to the value of a limited audiophile issue is relatively small.

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I use the U shaped sleeves when their is a cardboard inner for the very reason you mention.

I use the covers 33 for albums that only have the paper inner sleeve - these are perfect for that as you can insert and remove easily.

18. I've not found there to be any issues, but I replace them with a MoFi Inner anyway.

19. It's interesting to note that some claim no ill effect with these inners, but my guess is there is more at play here. Possibly a reaction happens over time with the vinyl at certain temperatures, humidity, pressure from other albums or any combination of these. Regardless, it appears to be in your best interest to remove them. I also remove all my PVC outers for the same reason.

Dino likes this.
  20. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Those look sweet, but shipping to the U.S. is 3 times the price of the sleeves (just did a sample checkout - 45 pounds for a 100 count package!). I'm sure there's a U.S. supplier somewhere, but I do really like the optional black paper versions:

[​IMG]

DangerousKitchen and Turntable like this.
  21. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I replace all new and used inner sleeves with MOFI sleeves. Always.
    And, all of my albums (single, double, triple) get Sleeve City Ultmate Outer 2.5 Sleeves (50 for about $12).

MikeInFla likes this.
  22. The black version above looks great. I think I got one or 2 of these in a recent reissue/s. A Beatles Mono perhaps?

23. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

My Hounds of Love had a clear inner. Can't tell if it has caused any issues. None in playback yet, at least! Should I change it out still?

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member Thread Starter

I think RTI may have switched to a thinner clear sleeve on some recent pressings. My Paul Simon reissues had them but I changed anyway for better protection. Don't know what the long term effect is but the thicker pink tinted sleeves left marks (that cleaned off) after several years storage. Some of those sleeves feel sort of sticky and appear to have a powder like substance on the surface.

Tommyboy likes this.
  25. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Anytime I get a record with one of these, that sleeve goes in the trash. MoFi sleeves only for me, thanks.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.