DIY RCA signal cables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ulf_kurt, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm about to start a small DIY project.

Hopefully it will result in three pairs of rca signal cables.

Anyone with experience making their own cables? Maybe a word of wisdom along the way?

/Ulf

2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Having dabbled in a bit of this myself, I will say (what others right here in the forum told me) that to make quality cables yourself will probably cost more than just buying them.

For example, consider the startup cost of just the crimp tool for the higher end connectors. And these aren't even boutique, more like mid-grade connectors.

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Functioning cables are easy to make. You probably want to look at high quality wire—UPOCC or UPOCS—somewhere around 22 cumulative AWG, with teflon coating. You can wind or braid. There are EMI/RFI shielding heat shrink wraps. Low mass connectors are probably the best choice.

IMO, you will spend more with an inferior result even with best materials. Some will tell you they all sound the same, so there is that.

Have fun!

4. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

It doesn't start getting cheap per cable until you purchase 1000 foot spools :doh:

5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I had some 18AWG scraps left over from speaker cables. I twisted them up (probably a mistake) and terminated them, but they sounded like garbage. I think the wire weight is critical to getting a good result, and there is not so much selection.

A manufacturer can design and have a cable made with good dielectric in quantity.

6. ulf_kurt

Ok, thanks for the input. Maybe i'll have to reconsider this.

My thought was to uppgrade from the cheap black cables i use right now. The kind that ships with new gear.

I recently upgraded my amp to a rega brio and felt it deserves something a bit classier.

7. donluca

donluca Active Member

Use solid core silver and good Neutrik RCA connectors.
    If shielding is not a concern, use cotton/silk tubes to cover the wires. Everything else will make the cable act as a little capacitor.
    If you have EMI problems there's a particular kind of teflon that reduces the "cap effect" to a minimum, can't remember its name though, I've found it years ago in a French online store and test results were very good.

Remember that less is more, don't get drawn into these "super pure cryo-treated snake-oiled-my-ass copper wire" or these "rhodium/thorium/adamantium" connectors.

Pure copper.
    Or silver if you can afford it.

Nothing else.

Also, Neutrik is what people use in recording studios.
    Why in the hell people should spend more than what it's been originally used to record their albums is beyond me.

8. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

24 awg silver plated copper (OFC if you can find some) with any teflon type insulation should work well - use 2 wires for return (-) 1 for signal (+) per channel. A cable like this should do (note: I have never used this particular brand, as I usually use Alpha Wire) Loosen it up before use as they are normally tightly wrapped. I connect the shield at both ends. The connectors with the least metal are best (e.g. Eichmann bullets) but Neutrik or even those from Radio Shack will do.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Mil-Spec...wist-Silver-Plated-Tefzel-Insul-/231162745219

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  9. ulf_kurt

Thanks for all input.

This is what I ended up with. Connecting cpd and amp. Happy so far :)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.