Diy ultrasonic cleaner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bradley a kessler, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Here is my version 1.0 of the record spinning device. It all cost around $30 from parts all purchased from ebay. The wood pieces I got for free from the scrap bin in Home Depot. I am using a threaded rod with wing nuts to hold the record. This is a bit annoying so I will likely switch to a smooth rod. It is powered by a 12V AC adaptor. I used one from an old wifi router I had.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

are you sure the only difference between the 40khz and the 80khz is the NOISE? I think there's a lot more differences like the 80 clean better, more deep...
    because I don't have problem with the noise if I can save money and buy the more cheap one (4o).

4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Will you update this thread after you give it run?
    (Or PM me)

5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

that's looks really great, the only problem is NOT protect the labels, but well maybe is possible add some rounded DIY cloth or sponge between the labels.

6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I regret about the "great" yes looks great! but is expensive. $180 to $379 just for that parts? is expensive... still you need add the machine.

7. Vinyl Addict

8. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  9. Vinyl Addict

10. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

My experience indicates the best results are achieved by a run through the ultrasonic cleaner (with the right Tergitol/Triton-X & Hepastat 256 solution) and a thorough, multi-step, rinse with a record cleaning machine (VPI 16.5 or similar) The ultrasonic does a wonderful job of loosening the crud but air drying is just going to allow anything still on the surface to re-adhere. I think this is why i wasn't impressed with demo's of the all-in-one units at some audio shows. If you follow Rush's step-by-step approach you'll achieve amazing results.

Rushton Paul: My DIY Approach to the Ultrasonic Cleaning of LPs - Positive Feedback

11. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I bought a 40kHZ ultrasonic cleaner on Amazon for $135, a 1 RPM high-torque worm motor on eBay for $10, rigged up a wall wart to power it (6v DC) and put it in a RadioShack project box, installed a $2 red LED toggle switch for it.
    I used Scotch heavy duty fastener (think velcro on steroids) to attach the drive box to the side of the UC.
    My magnetic label protector is low-budget too, see my video for details.

[​IMG]

jon9091 likes this.
  12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Wow! that article is great! :righton:
    just one thing at the end after the final rinse, he don't say anything about the vacuum process, just vacuum like always with a VPI and that is?

I was thinking on buy and under $500 RCM manual process, this:
    RCM https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm
    Vacuum Amazon.com: Shop-Vac 2030100 1.5-Gallon 2.0 Peak HP Wet Dry Vacuum, Small, Red/Black: Home Improvement
    AIVS Fluids Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions-Elusive Disc
    Osage Brush Listener Select 12" Record Cleaning Brush
    ClearAudio Brush Clearaudio Pure Grove Brush
    Fiber Brush Hunt EDA Carbon Fiber Brush

BUT! after reading that article, I'm thinking, why not just do an ultrasonic bath and avoid the Brushes and AIVS Fluids, and just buy the KAV EV-1 to vacuum system or well even other cheap thing like this http://www.vinylvac.net/uploads/6/4/7/3/6473034/6183536_1.jpg works for dry.

The point and BIG question is, even the ultrasonics are great is necessary also! a manual cleaning process (you know, brushes, fluids etc...) ? I see some people that combine two methods ultrasonics + brush process but... like I say if! just ultrasonics are enough following Rushton Paul guide it would be great and less money than buy brushes, also the idea of NOT touch the record with any brushes sounds really good.

13. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

If you use the ultrasonic machine with the excellent do-it-yourself cleaning solution in the article then all you'll need to do is thoroughly rinse the LP with distilled water to remove any remaining cleaning fluids and dirt clinging to the surface. I'm using a VPI 16.5 for the rinse/vacuum. I like that the vacuum is on the top, instead of the bottom of the LP. This allows for more water to be applied to dilute and cleaner and suspend any dirt remaining. I do use VPI style brushes to spread the distilled water rinse.
    [​IMG]

14. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

I like it. It's loud though. I use earplugs.

I don't use it as much as I thought i would because of the hassle of setting up the tank.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  15. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

the labels stay dry.

16. Vinyl Addict

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh! yes, sorry my bad... of course I need the VPI (well in my case I'm good with the KAB) for RINSE! (I forget that important part) and of course the final DRY with vacuum.

18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I read gain the Rushton Paul guide: Rushton Paul: My DIY Approach to the Ultrasonic Cleaning of LPs - Positive Feedback

first he said that manual is the best:
    With over 6000 LPs, I needed a faster way to clean than my trusted multi-step manual wet/vac cleaning process. That manual process got the best results I’ve ever found, but I was not keeping up with my collection and it is just painful to me to play a record that I’ve not cleaned.
    but later he said that ultrasonics is the best:
    I’ve now cleaned over 100 records using my new ultrasonic cleaning regimen and detergent solution for my tank. What I hear exceeds the quality that I’ve been able to achieve in the past with my multi-step manual wet/vac cleaning regimen, and this has surprised me given what I’d heard with ultrasonic cleaning demonstrations elsewhere.
    there’s another Rushton article of his manual (NON ultrasonics) method???

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I contact Paul, his response:

"I DO think that ultrasonic cleaning with the right cleaning solution in the tank and with a double rinse vacuum dry IS the best cleaning solution for most records. But, it's not the only way. Using the DIY solutions we've discussed in this thread Record cleaning- you're doing it wrong! | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums and MANUAL cleaning will give very good results"

20. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

It would be interesting if there was some scientific study on how various record cleaning methods compare. One could put easily some measured amount of dust and water solution on clean records and use a microscope to see which method cleans them the best. Or just use one's ears to see which cleans best. Is it possible to buy "dust" ?? I'd be willing to do the test if I can make it repeatable.

21. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Glad you posted Rush's piece. I've had both "audiophile" US machines (Audio Desk and KL) and the next one will be DIY, to take advantage of surfactants, heat control and the ability to vacuum dry using a point nozzle (Monks type). My best results have been achieved by using combined vacuum and US methods.

22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Interesting question. The contaminants that I think I'm dealing with on old records usually include a combination of particulates, some kind of condensates, whether from cigarette smoke, cooking or other fumes, and who knows what kind of liquids--cleaning sprays, badly cleaned records, etc. Each is sui generis in the sense that sometimes a record can get clean and nicely playable with minimal effort. Other times, I have to work on it, doing multiple cleanings, using multiple methods. What I used to ascribe to groove damage is sometimes just crap embedded into the grooves. (Sometimes, the record is trashed, and no amount of cleaning will bring it back to life or resuscitate it from damage). What kind of microscope would resolve that? (I have a couple digital microscopes, real PITA to keep focused at higher magnification). I suppose you could try and duplicate some of this contamination, which is probably exacerbated by age, heat and the judicious use of fingerprints and other body fluids. Not dissing your suggestion at all, I think about the same thing- how can you objectively determine the efficacy of this process?

12" 45rpm likes this.
  23. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

I'll just say that I've tried everything from a Discwasher brush with their D4 solution, A VPI 16.5 with a Nitty Gritty velvet record brush, DiscDoctor pads and solution, VPI bristle brush and now an ultrasonic tank with the VPI as the final rinse and vacuum stage using the VPI bristle brush during the rinse. The DiscDoctor pads and solution are second only to the ultrasonic, but the results with the ultrasonic have to be experienced to truly appreciate.

24. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

What machine are you using?

25. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

I got the Trusonik that Rush recommended in the article. He did very extensive research that drew from a number of sources and chemists and distilled it down to the essentials. After reading all the posts at DIY audio and his article on Positive Feedback I knew it would be silly not follow the advice offered, if going the ultrasonic route. Using the equipment and formula suggested has delivered truly amazing results.

Paully likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.