Dl110 starting to sound wonky

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikeJedi, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess it was way off Played with it back thre and now it's reading 1.81 on the guage ! Hopefully that did the trick !!

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Hope you've got this figured out.

And...you are setting anti-skate to zero when you set VTF, then dial it back (just checking)?

3. MikeJedi

I did that as well with the anti skate The guage is reading 1.81 but no matter how I adjust the tonesrm height and arm lift it either makes the cantilever go almost all the way in or the other way where it doesn't touch the record or if it does just barley and it doesn't work Or it will touch the record but the cantilever itself moves up and down What's weird is when I was traveling at .59 gram it was perfectly on the record I must be doing something else wrong but I can't figure it out Ugggh

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I suspect the tracking force of 0.59g may have been caused by having the dial set for a cartridge that was heavier than the DL-110. I don’t understand the current problem, though. If the cantilever goes into the cartridge with only 1.81g force it has a problem.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. MikeJedi

But would my cartridge be the problem or my TT ? I have had the sl1200 since 2007 .. Maybe the arm or bearings have had it ? Lol I hope not I guess I could buy a new model but not quite ready yet for that ...;)

6. Bob_in_OKC

If the force has been confirmed to be accurate within the cartridge manufacturer’s recommended range, then having the cantilever go up into the cartridge would be a problem with the cartridge. 10 years of home use should be no problem for the SL-1200.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. MikeJedi

Weird but I initially had the same problem when I was setting up the AT440mla but did not have a digital gauge .. At first it too was riding low and the cantilever going more into the cart but I was able to align that one and get it to work normally and there were no funky sounds with anything .. That's why I am wondering if my TT was out of whack plus when I had installed the 110 last time the cantilever did not go up into the cartridge and it seemed to align fine with no funky sound ... It's weird Unless my 110 went bad that fast ?

8. MikeJedi

Well the 110 definitely rides low it's not going all the way up into the cartridge but it rides low at 1.81 grams So weird because the last time I set it up with no digital guage and it sounded pretty close to perfect ! How did the cart deteriorating in just a few months ? I must have something else set up wrong ugh

9. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

You should post some pictures, saves a lot of back and forth.

dbsea, MikeJedi and patient_ot like this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Or a video.

11. harby

harby Forum Resident

The tracking force is easy to adjust on a Technics 1200. You can do it accurately using just the built-in weight gauge; no need for a tracking weight scale.

[​IMG]

If you have multiple headshells, each with cartridges that you want to swap quickly, you'll need to get a little scale and first figure out which is the heaviest. Then add a little weight to the lighter headshells at the center of mass (above the cartridge) until they all weigh the same. A little bit of clay or small square of dynamat (roofing asphalt) stuck on to add the weight.

After adjusting tonearm height and installing the headshell and cartridge adjusted at the correct overhang (usually ends up near the long end of the slots in the headshell), turn the body of the threaded counterweight so that it moves away from the pivot point. Turn until the needle lifts off the record, and then rotate the counterweight back towards the pivot in small steps, while dropping the floating needle until it just barely but consistently stays in contact with the vinyl when it settles down and stops bouncing.

That is your "0" weight. Turn the independent black gauge ring in the front of the weight so the 0 on it lines up with the line on the top of the arm. You've made "0" on the gauge equal 0 grams.

Now turn the weight towards 0.5, and turn it up to 1.5. You've set the tracking weight to 1.5 grams.

The antiskate can also be set to the same number as the tracking weight for best results on average.

12. MikeJedi

Ok I watched a YouTube if the Dl110 on a technics like mine and the needle going down on the record into the cart and it was somewhat low as well... Maybe that's how it's supposed to be because my Roy Orbison record sounds perfect now No vocals distortion Tracking right at 1.81 on the gauge sounds good so far Good news at least cause that Orbison vocals were so bad before and now it sounds right ! So far so good ...

jupiterboy and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  13. MikeJedi

1.81 Vtf And about 2 on antiskate seeming to work ...

14. MikeJedi

My Getz Gilberto AP 45 wowza! Things are looking up ;)

15. MikeJedi

It sounds good .. My last concern is that the cartridge seems to be low riding somewhat Mind you .. The cartridge itself is still above the record but the cantilever is somewhat inside the cart but you can still clearly see it so it's not all the way or anything like that I wonder if that's the way I had it before and I hadn't realized it I watched some u tube videos and some people with my technics had it the same way .. It's weird Maybe I should take a picture and post it in here .. Like some suggested just to be safe ... ;)

16. MikeJedi

17. MikeJedi

Just posted some pics

18. Bob_in_OKC

If it sounds good, it probably is good. I’d sit back and enjoy some Bossa Nova.

MikeJedi likes this.
  19. MikeJedi

Well that was too good to be true ugggh

Now on certain records like one of my steely dans as it gets to the last two tracks at the end of the records major IGD and some skipping and the cantilever is riding up and down .. Wtf ? I don't know what else to do .. I still think there is some adjustment that's off unless my cart went bad ... I hope not ...

20. MikeJedi

It seems as it gets toward the inner grooves the cantilever itself starts moving more rather than staying stationary Weird !

21. harby

harby Forum Resident

The stylus cantilever may move broadly within the cartridge due to warps or out-of-round records, as the mass of the tonearm puts up considerable resistance to these macro-oscillations. You might still verify that the tonearm pivots loosely and freely, and even put a drop of machine oil on the needle pivot points of the tonearm (a syringe helps, and I recommend synthetic transmission fluid for most light oil applications).

22. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I read somewhere on these forums to always have two cartridges. That way if you suspect it is the cartridge you can change it and see if it actually is the cart. I strongly recommend getting an Onzow zero dust to clean your stylus after each record side. That solved some of my problems keeping the needle clean. Are you certain the cart is aligned properly?

23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

In your photos I noticed you are using the plate (between the head shell and cart). I use a DL-110 on a similar turntable (Denon direct drive with s-shaped arm), and do not use this plate. I love the DL-110 (on my second one now).
    Never have had any issues with the cart, and it does not sit as low as yours seems to be. Maybe take that plate out, and see if it helps. The plate adds more "mass" to your arm, but you may not need that.

MikeJedi likes this.
  24. MikeJedi

Good idea I am going to try that That weight could be why it's doing what it's doing

25. MikeJedi

Ok found out what's wrong .. My armlift height is broken and the cue lifter is not moving the tonearm at certain points up and down It's worse today noticed it the most I think it was starting to go that's why I couldn't align the cart and may have possibly messed up the cantilever on the old dl110 I bought a new one but luckily before installing the new one I caught this Taking it to a repair shop If it costs too much I'm buying a new 1200GR but I have a feeling it couldn't be that much Wish me luck peeps !!

Update Hold on may have been premature lock wasn't in completely that may have affected it Let me redo with and without lock in place to make sure ...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.