Do any of you have the Denon PMA-A100 anniversary integrated amplifier ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

• I bought one of these back about a year after they were issued, got it at a discount and have not read much about it from reviewers. I love the sound of this amp. Very detailed,quiet,powerful, with a tube-like sound. It is allegedly constructed of high quality parts. It is a beast weighing in at just under 60 lbs. Denon has built many previous models with similar looks and specs-mainly for Asian or European market perhaps? Any knowledge,thoughts to add?

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I haven't bought this one as I have excellent tube amps (Decware Torii Mk II and Mk III models) that I love. But I did buy the 100th anniversary universal player and SACD player at discount, and they are excellent machines, so I have no doubt that the amplifier is as you describe it. The build quality on my two machines is extraordinary.

Daedalus likes this.
  3. Daedalus

Oh and I forget to add that the amp has an excellent phono stage which can be set to either MM or MC carts. I also acquired the Denon universal player which was part of tha anniversary series and agree that it does a terrific job with CD, SACD,BD,et al. Some of the King Crimson boxes contain BD audio discs and have stellar sound through this combo.

4. Lonson

I agree, it's a great player. The CD/SACD sound is better throught the DCD-A100 as it should be. These two are the heartbeat of my second system now, powered by one of my two Decware Torii Mk III amps.

For my main system I went one step further and purchased a lightly used, very reasonably priced (same cost for me as the DBP-A100) Denon DVD-A1UCD1 universal flagship player. Oh my! Best sound and picture for SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray etc. I've heard, and Redbook playback that comes close to the PS Audio DirectStream and PWT I use for Redbook. It is a beast so I hope I don't have to move it and put it in into my system again. ;)

Some audiophiles sneer at Denon products, but these were made for audiophiles and they deliver. Denon has been in the high end before, they really know what they are doing.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  5. Daedalus

Denon has made some very interesting high end equipment over the years. Here they seem to be more known for their more modest offerings. In the old days their Turntables were highly regarded here-many were brought back from 'Nam. Industrial art at its finest. I think the modern stuff is popular in UK from what I can tell.

6. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

The Denon PMA A100 is a lovely amp I'm sure it's great. A few years back I bought a Denon PMA 1510 (one down from a 2010 which is similar to the A-100) & sounded great. This year a friend sold me a Pair of Vincent Monoblocks & now the Denon is used as a Pre Amp. You would think the Denon was a dedicated Pre Amp.

7. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I have the anniversary SACD player and love it. Wish I'd bought the amp to go with it!

8. Daedalus

Now they are very hard to find left-over or used. It was a limited edition and I don't know how many were produced. For my purposes this is an heirloom piece which I will keep. IMHO it beats the sound of the recent era Mac integrateds I have heard. And I say this reluctantly because I like Mac stuff. I do not know how it compares to the new Yammy integrateds like the S2100 or S3000.

9. Lonson

If I didn't have four tube amps I love I'd be looking for one of these to check out as awesome as the two Anniversary components I have are!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.