Do any TV stations go off the air anymore? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bencasey, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Channel 36 in San Jose, boy does that bring back memories when I grew up in the 70's. The station was KGSC at the time, and the station slogan was "The Perfect 36". They had Carol Doda do station IDs for the "Perfect 36". Her bumpers were more interesting that what was played on that station.

Alan G. and Mister Charlie like this.
  2. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Ha Ha! Yes, her "bumpers" were quite interesting!

Mister Charlie and Anthology123 like this.
  3. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

CH36 used to show bullfighting.

jerol

4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Sure wish they would.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Some of the secondary free to air stations in Australia go off air. ABC3 (a kids' stations) goes off at 9PM and ABC2 closes down at about 2AM.

6. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

To remind ya if you were running low on Big Chief paper tablets.

Alan G. and Mister Charlie like this.
  7. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

BBC 3 & 4 go on air from 7pm. I don't think anyone knows when they go off air. BBC 3 is thankfully going off-air for good soon (except it'll still be available on the internet).

8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I have many fond memories of local late night sign offs. Back in the 70s, KOIN Channel 6 in Portland used to show a film of various aquatic birds, accompanied by Gluck's "Dance Of The Blessed Spirits", which was sponsored by the Ecumenical Ministries Of Oregon. KPTV 12 used to show a film of a fighter pilot, with somebody reciting the poem "High Flight".

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

no, thanks to infomercials

11. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Hey, Mr. Charlie...Here it is, unfortunately mutilated by a huge logo in the middle, but better than nothing, I guess.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  12. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

THANKS!! Logo or not, it is great to finally see this again....really appreciate it!

geo50000 likes this.
  13. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

All the local channels in Cincinnati used to go off the air each night before the era of infomercials and late night reruns. But it has been years since they did for an extended time. On rare occasion, I might see a few minutes of down time in between tapes rolling, if programs are on a set timer. For example, if an infomercial isn't exactly 30 or 60 minutes long, and they need a few minutes before the next program starts, they will fill the time in with tones, colored bars or what not.

Basically it's the same routine each night, depending on channel.

After the late night news, the late night talks shows come on for a couple hours (if it is a channel with no late night talk shows, such as the FOX affiliate, then they just show a couple hours of syndicated reruns of sitcoms.) After the talk shows are over, they show a couple hours of programs that were shown earlier in the day, usually daytime or morning talk shows (Steve Harvey, TODAY with Kathie Lee and Hoda, etc.) and/or Entertainment TV shows (ET, Insider, Extra, Access Hollywood, etc.) After those are over, the few hours of infomercials begin and continue until the early morning news comes on at about 4:00-5:00 AM.

I remember the good old days when the channels went off the air as soon as they repeated the late night news (usually around 2:30 AM.) After the last late night talk show ended, they would either repeat the late night news right away or would show a half hour syndicated rerun of a sitcom (Cheers was a favorite for one of the channels to show) before repeating the late night news. After the repeated late night news would come that channel's sign-off (One channel used a nun for prayer and reflection, one just played the National Anthem and showed a waving flag, another would show a pre-recorded message from the station's manager, etc.) After the sign-off, it would all go to static.......

"They're Here!!!!"

15. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

I watched the original Poltergeist with my son (age 11) last weekend and had to explain TV signoffs and the 'remote control battle.' A few days before that I was discussing something with my mom and mentioned Blockbuster. He asked "What's a Blockbuster?"
    :)

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

You're old if you can remember Blockbuster.

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Now that you mention it, I have not seen one do that in years.

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That's it:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.