Do I need a Headphone Amp for 600 ohms with a Marantz 2275 receiver?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mowgli, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors Thread Starter

I have 600 ohm Beyer DT880's arriving on Wednesday.
    I saw discussion on head-fi that receivers won't typically drive these well.
    I use a Marantz 2275 in good enough condition but unrestored to my knowledge.
    I'm not a member at hifiengine so I can't DL the specsheet and don't have an OM for it.

I sorta panicked and ordered a JDSLABS Objective2 by NwAvGuy after many hours of frustrating research.

Will my 2275 alone power 600ohm cans well or is a dedicated amp truly necessary with this old 75W receiver?

2. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

a good headphone amp may not be "truly necessary" in this case, but it would be a good idea...

600-ohms is the old "professional standard" for recording studio headphones,
    where the amps are required to drive multiple sets of headphones at very loud levels for many hours at a time.

Your 2275 will work with the Beyers,
    but it may not give you the quality of level and tone that your headphones are capable of...

Mowgli likes this.
  3. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

The headphone jacks on older receivers from "back in the day" typically are fed directly off the speaker outputs, using resistors inline. The added resistance ups the headphone jack's output impedance. But the high-impedance 600-ohm Beyers will be affected much less so by this.

The zero-ohm output impedance jack of the O2 will be a different flavor.

Try both & decide if the differences are worth it.

Mowgli likes this.
  4. Mowgli

Thanks guys.

Master -> The Thing That Should Not Be (Hoffman gold remaster CD) = details I don't remember if I ever even noticed them before
    The maniacal/evil laughing there sounds insane and similar to Ozzy laughing/screaming between Am I Going & The Writ on Sabotage

The 880s sound decent right out of the box directly from the Marantz jackhole (Hank III reference).
    I understand they'll get better with break-in so I'll leave MoP on repeat while I get caught up on Shameless season 7&8
    75W of 70's Marantz volume knob at 10 O'clock is enough for listening for me. Leave it there or louder for best break-in?

I'll compare w/ & w/out amp when it gets here.

5. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Looks like 330 ohm in series, with 150 ohm to ground ...

[​IMG]

Mowgli likes this.
  6. Mowgli

Does that mean 600 ohm phones are within ideal specs or almost double the ideal range?

7. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

All I know is that high end headphone amp output impedance specs are close to 0 ohms. Don't know why.

Mowgli likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The resistors are for protection, not for impedance matching, you would easily blow out most headphones if driven directly by a power amp. The higher impedance phones probably work a little better with receivers, but hard to say, you would just have to try them out. The problem with the resistors in line is that they interact with the headphone impedance (which varies over the audio band) to cause a change in the frequency response of the phones, whereas a headphone amp with low output impedance won't be as affected. Same thing happens with speakers and tube amps that have high output impedance, but to a much lessor degree.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Mowgli likes this.
  9. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

ime, marantaz 22xx series headphone output are a bit noisy

Mowgli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.