Do I really need an SACD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Eric Weinraub, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yes, it is playing now on my 105. I think all those references are to the USB "B" input. I use the USB "A" connector for the drive.

formu_la and Rolltide like this.
  2. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Just making the point that the oppo app makes it easy to play files from a plug in hard drive.

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

That's pretty much it, just per the 752BD.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Does my Oppo come with that App? I have the 105.

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

One note about playing external DSD files through an Oppo - I don't know if this impacts the USB-A ports, but for playing DSD files over the network for some reason you have to go into the settings and make sure "HDMI Output Format" is set to bitstream vs. auto or else it converts DSD to PCM. Not especially intuitive as HDMI isn't involved in the chain (at least in my case), but I had to do this with my 103 and just now with my new 205.

FWIW, I'm only a couple songs in, but the 205 sounds incredible.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

I bought Golden Earring Naked III today, and its SACD ONLY, huh, odd, ill bet it sounds amazing on proper SACD player!!

I hope my cd player can at least play it for me.

7. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Yes. Oppo Media Control from the android play store or app store depending on device. On your phone or tablet you can access from there Tidal, the disc in the player and your hard drive. From the latter you can select your music files stored on there. The app also doubles up as an oppo remote.

Steve G likes this.
  8. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

It won't, I'm afraid. Regular cd players can't play single layer/non-hybrid SACD discs. Sorry.

George P likes this.
  9. Kal Rubinson

No but it is a free download.

Tullman likes this.
  10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The 105D manual states:

USB Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, up to 2ch/2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz DSD

tmtomh likes this.
  11. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Obviously they have made changes and I stand corrected. But putting a DSD file through an Oppo will not get you close to LP like sound IMO. It needs to get to a better performing DAC. My point was originally in response to the OP as to whether he could expect LP like quality from SACDs. Perhaps the McIntosh SACD player has within it such a DAC. I don't know, but at its price it should.

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

What he said. I have the SACD only of Billy Joel's "The Stranger" and can confirm this, when I accidentally popped the disc a redbook only player.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

???

14. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Sorry but I can't explain it any clearer. What exactly don't you understand? Apologies if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  15. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Son of a ..................

Will a computer drive play it?

I guess I'll have to go to my audio shoppe, and bring the cd, and pretend I have more money for speakers, to listen to this cd..

Damn!!

16. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

If your OPPO is hooked up to your home network, you can control it from your phone or tablet through free Oppo APP. You will see the hard drive if it is connected to OPPO, and optical discs.

Pancat likes this.
  17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

To respond to the OP's question: I have a small SACD collection, and an Oppo BDP-105, and I love them both. However, I do not recommend going out of your way to get into SACDs, given the stagnation of the format and the growth of DSD and great high-res PCM digital downloads.

I would recommend getting an SACD-capable player only if the player also fills other needs you have. For example, I got the Oppo because I wanted a good-sounding player that could play all my CDs, the small number of SACDs and DVD-As I'd acquired over the years - and that also could serve as a one-stop shop as a DAC to stream my fairly large digital/computer based music collection.

If you are really curious and have the discretionary income and space, then sure, it can be really fun to add an SACD player to your collection. Otherwise, though, I would suggest that SACD should be added to your system only if the player also has other features you're looking for.

While Lenny has subsewuently noted that he stands corrected about the Oppo 105 and DSD, he's muddied the waters. The Oppo BDP-105 absolutely can play DSD files from a USB device (hard drive, usb stick, etc) connected to one of its USB ports. What the 105 cannot do is natively play DSD files from a music streaming device connected to the Oppo's "USB DAC" input.

Here's the difference:
    • USB input: The USB hard drive/stick is just a storage device for the music files, just like a CD or SACD is. The Oppo's user interface controls all music selection and playback
    • USB DAC input: The Oppo basically becomes just an outboard DAC, and a "smart" device like a computer, smartphone, or dedicated music streamer is required to control music selection and playback
    That said, the Oppo BDP-105D, released not long after the original 105, adds the capability to stream DSD content via the USB DAC input. And Lenny is correct that the new 205 of course allows this as well.

The Oppo Media Control app is a smartphone/tablet app that turns your smartphone or iPad/tablet into a remote control for your Oppo. It duplicates the features of the Oppo's regular remote control, and adds more features, specifically the ability to change preferences and settings, to see the currently playing track, switch inputs, browse all the music on the inserted disc (or attached USB hard drive if you have one connected), etc - all without having a TV connected to the Oppo.

This app is a free download from the Apple iOS/iTunes App Store, or from Android app store(s). It requires that your Oppo be connected to your home network, because the app connects your smartphone/table to your Oppo over wi-fi. The Oppo can be connected to your network via wired ethernet cable plugged into the back, or via wi-fi, through the free USB wi-fi dongle that came with your Oppo.

For just playing CDs and SACDs, this Media Control app is handy but far from necessary. For playing music files from a USB drive connected to the Oppo's USB port, however, this app is essential if you do not have a TV connected to your Oppo - because to properly browse and select music files for playback, you need some kind of a screen display so you can see what you're doing.

Unfortunately there are no computer-based SACD drives. The only way to play an SACD is through an SACD-capable player.

George P, Bill Mac, Pancat and 2 others like this.
  18. Kal Rubinson

Just to be picky.
    1. The USB DAC input on the 105D is stereo only. No multichannel.
    2. The 103/105/203/205 can also stream DSD (and PCM) via Ethernet.

Brother_Rael and tmtomh like this.
  19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Thanks Kal - yes, I was limiting my discussion only to the USB inputs of the machines in question, but you are of course correct.

Also - and I hope I am not causing confusion here - when I was initially researching to decide between the Oppo 103 and 105, I found that while the 103 lacks USB DAC functionality, it sort of has a "DAC loophole" in that it can function as an outboard DAC via its HDMI input. However, that's not nearly as convenient as a USB DAC input.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  20. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

The absolute best way to play an SACD is probably to rip the DSD file from it (in 2 or multi-channel), put it on a hard disk and play it through a high quality DAC. That is, unless there is a stand-alone SACD player with an outstanding DAC section. Unfortunately if you play the SACD disk through an SACD-capable player, Sony (which owns the SACD technology) prevents you from passing the SACD quality music through the SACD-capable player to a free standing DAC for better reproduction.

That's why I suggested that the OP should listen very carefully to his preferred McIntosh SACD player to see if it is up to the standard he expects if he doesn't want to go the alternate route.

Perhaps Kal can comment on the McIntosh or suggest another player to the OP.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Do you already own a considerable SACD collection that gets regular playtime? If not I do not see any reason at this stage to buy a SACD player. If it's DSD playback that you are after, than there a lot of capable dacs available in the market. Personally I stick with PCM with a nice multibit DAC.

22. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Good point! I certainly agree that the DAC is going to be the most important single factor in how DSD playback sounds. But I don't necessarily agree that a free-standing DAC always is going to sound better than the DAC built into a player. I would agree with you about trying a DSD files with an outboard DAC because then there are more options for DACs to compare.

Also, it's not common and not convenient, but I believe SACDs can be output digitally via HDMI. The problem is that 99% of the DACs with HDMI inputs exist as part of A/V receivers. There are almost no standalone DACs that have HDMI inputs.

23. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

Hello,
    I don't think so. Why would somebody want a SACD player, when they already have their high end analog system? Digital can never beat vinyl in terms of musicality, authenticity, and impact.
    Enjoy your vinyl records!

Best regards

24. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

I find mch SACD especially well recorded Classical music beats vinyl in terms of realism etc.

25. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Musical tastes definitely should be considered. I just took a random browse on the SA-CD database and ~64% of the format's releases are classical, while only around ~8% fall into the rock and pop realms. So the format clearly caters to a mostly classical audience.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.