Do Record Companies actually listen to Music Buyers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident Thread Starter

You know, In amongst allll the discussion, debating, & agreeing or disagreeing that goes on around our board, there's one thing I don't think has ever been uncovered; Do Record companies/ conglomerates, whatever they're called these days of digital....Do we have any honest clout as to what gets chosen to release/re-issue, what have you? Are there archivists/producers/curators at these places that will read E-mails or letters from the general music consumer? Maybe takes some time to find out what a board like ours has to say again & again as to what we'd like to see, and will take the time to answer why or why not certain product can or can't happen? Look at the requests to go back to honest analog sound. I'd like to hear from someone high up in the food chain take this topic and tell us; Is this doable in 2017? Or is it simply cost-prohibitive after so much digital change? What about the brickwalling & loudness wars....is that simply here to stay regardless? We've had some great requests for certain boxsets, live material & long-lost musical prizes that people are prepared to open their wallets for. Is anyone in the "ivory towers" hearing what is being said here? Or has it all just turned into a giant bean-counting exercise overall?

lightbulb and melstapler like this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Thinking in terms of new releases by living/active artists, there are some, (especially smaller labels), who certainly do listen and do their part to meet the needs of their consumers. Mastering, format availability, production and the artist roster are each very important to me. Of course song selection, but a talented artist should be trusted to make such decisions without much in the way of input from a record label. Regarding reissue labels, I think that's a whole other ball game.

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Buyers ?
    No !!!

eric777 and melstapler like this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

It would be interesting to have a discussion with some of the "movers and shakers" involved with the music industry.
    Not sure who has the most influence as far as what, and how things are produced/released.

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I think they listen to dollar signs (ka-ching!), but that's about it.

bleachershane and eric777 like this.
  6. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I think it is a cold, calculated process of looking to see what sold last week, last month.

7. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

As long as people keep buying what they are selling, things will stay the same. It doesn't matter whether or not the buyers are complaining as long as they keep spending their money.

8. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

That's one thing I love about the vinyl collective boards is direct interaction with smaller labels. I don't think the majors care cause they have enough suckers to buy whatever, but I have seen directly how buyers can influence small labels at times

9. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Intervention Records certainly does.

10. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I'd say they listen, but don't respond appropriately. :mad:

John B Good likes this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

A lot of reissues right now are being mastered better, and are not as loud. I think they are listening a bit. Now, new releases are a different story. The only thing I can think of to explain this is that re-issue producers and engineers have a mandate to produce a product that has a fidelity that audiophiles will appreciate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.