Do right angle rca and plug connecters degrade sound

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

3. bajaed

Since various cables can sound different (I believe that and have heard it) Im just wondering if adding another connection can color or degrade the signal? Is gold better, is there a better brand or does it not matter at all?

With the pc, is there a right angle cord or adapter that might work better on an amp and is not too espensive?

4. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

As long as the bend is indicated well in advance, you'll be fine, otherwise everything will just go hurtling into a dead end at the turn...

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Ah, that's what those arrows on my cables are for! Thanks!
    -Bill

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I doubt that you'll hear a difference.
    -Bill

7. bajaed

Thank you.

Since I have your attention, could you answer another question?

My Van den Hul ic's have a "ground end" marked. Should that end go on the source or amp?

Jim in Houston likes this.
  8. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Source.

9. timind

timind phorum rezident

As cheap as those are, why not get a set and try them out? Oh, and please post your findings.

10. empirelvr

By the way, you are aware one of the links you posted is for RF coaxial cables not audio interconnects, right?

11. empirelvr

12. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I have no scientific reason for saying this, but no way!

Linto likes this.
  13. I would be amazed if you heard any difference. Give it a go

14. bajaed

Thanks for all the replies, and no I did not realize I posted an incorrect link I'm just looking for some right angle RCA adapters and a right angle power cord.

As far as the power cord goes I was wondering if there are any right angle power cords out there that might keep the sound at least the same or improve it from my amplifier. I do feel power cords can make a difference I've tried two budget but fairly respected aftermarket power cords on my amplifier and they both made it sound worse then the stock one. But both of those cords improved the sound of my source components. So I was looking for a right angle power cord adapter or power cord that might be considered better than run-of-the-mill for an amplifier. I know a lot of people feel it snake-oil and others feel different cords make a difference

15. CoolJazz

CoolJazz Forum Resident

16. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, therefore, 90 degree turns in an interconnect will obviously degrade the sound. :hide:

Was thinking about fiberoptics, but that would be digital and not analog, yes?

17. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

No, they do not degrade. It's so simple plug them in and listen.
    It could deteiorate , and theoretically it would benefit from periodical cleaning.
    Maplins can supply right angled phono sockets. No soldering required, i
    Love them .
    Basically practical things matter.
    I make cables to. Measure . They are neat and more important no part of the cable is under strain.
    The purists will shake their heads
    Let them.

showtaper and Brother_Rael like this.
  18. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Much like cornering in your car, the electrons would have to slow down to safely take the sharp 90° bend, otherwise they would risk shooting through the outer sheath and into your drywall.

drivingfrog, Madness, Ephi82 and 8 others like this.
  19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Amp

20. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

no, they don't

POE_UK and R. Totale like this.
  21. bajaed

Thanks. Someone above said source but since you are an audio dealer, I'm going with your answer.

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Well OK, but better to go with it because I know how to use it and afforded you an honest answer. ;)

The explanation is as follows. In this type of an IC design, ground is connected to the shield of the IC cable only on one end. This is to prevent noise from being induced and the shield does what you'd think, it shields the signal from that external noise source, whatever it may be. The way that it does that is why you need to connect the ground end to the best system ground for the amplifier. What you are trying to accomplish, and you may not hear it in most cases as there isn't any interference, is to shield the input of the amplifier from external noise, ie only allow in the source signal connected by the IC. The chassis and inputs of the amplifier should be grounded to your household AC source by a three prong plug. Really, it should be. Source components don't typically have three prong plugs, rather use a floating ground scheme. So trying to send stray noise to ground there won't work. With the shield connected to the ground of the amplifiers input, everything outside of the positive pin of the input is shielded by the IC cable and any noise, at least to some db level, should be absorbed into the ground plane of the amplifier and not have gain added to it in the amplifier stages. This increases your SNR, when it works.
    -Bill

23. bajaed

Great explanation. Thanks Bill.

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Some are built better than others. I had one that after some time was the cause of occasional interruptions to my cable TV signal. I am not sure what caused it, it may have been due to it being very close to the back of my cabinet and some pressure on it.

25. CoolJazz

CoolJazz Forum Resident

Disagree. The drain (it's not a ground) should be connected to the lowest impedance end. This so that noise present has a path that is least likely to intrude. The input is of course typically very much higher impedance and is therefore MUCH more likely to be able to have a signal crosstalk onto it and be heard. That's the reason it's the industry convention for signal drains.

CJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.