Do you always reveal the true cost of audio with your significant other?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PROG U.K., Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Same here. It's a formula for a happy marriage.

utahusker and PROG U.K. like this.
  2. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile Thread Starter

Thank you.

Nate likes this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It really is.

utahusker likes this.
  4. irong

irong Forum Resident

The other day my wife had a couple of friends/coworkers home and she was showing the place around. When they got to the living room, my wife said: "And these 2000$ speakers are sponsored by my husband". Although I'd never told her how much I paid for them, she was curious enough to find for herself the value of the speakers, people can check Internet for everything nowadays. Fortunately I didn't lie about it or I'd have gotten into trouble for no good reason at all. She doesn't lie about the stuff she buys either.

As long as there's always food on the table, the car runs fine, the kids have clothes, we save money for the future, etc. I think it's better not to interfere with the loved one's expenses....

mwb, MarkO and utahusker like this.
  5. Most gear is discussed with the wife before purchased. If the device is over "X" we may wait to save up it. We never make payments on audio gear. Software is not discussed unless it's a pricy box set.

quadjoe likes this.
  6. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

We're on a tight budget lately (last three years) paying off all of our credit cards. Two months left, and all we have is a mortgage with two cars paid off.:goodie:

So all our larger expenses must be discussed by both of us, which is no problem at all for either of us. I quit kicking and screaming when I didn't get what I wanted a long time ago.

quadjoe likes this.
  7. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I would but she's never seemed to be interested or even ask. It's weird it's almost like she trusts me to spend money responsibly.

8. mds

mds Forum Resident

My wife as I do also, realize if there is something that brings lots of joy then making the other feel guilty about those purchases will get in the way of the relationship. The real question is do you purchase items that are way over your budget and you know you shouldn't be buying them but you do?

9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Ironic, as the only thing I can think of is my wife.......

10. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

We've been debt free for 5 years now, and I can tell you that once you've paid off your house, you'll feel like you've had a gigantic raise. My wife and I have a rule to discuss all large purchases with each other ($500 and above.) It has worked very well over the years. That said, she's very understanding of my audio hobby because she knows how important listening to music is to me. She is also very supportive: She bought the VPI 16.5 RCM as a Father's Day gift, and the Pink Floyd Immersion sets for Christmas a couple of years ago. She says she can't hear the subtle differences I do, but she never complains when I want a new piece of gear.

utahusker likes this.
  11. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Nope. Not that I lie - it's just none of her business. And, yes, we are very happy and love each other very much.

JL6161 likes this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My wife doesn't care what I spend on audio. She is truly a free spirit.

13. Mine rarely asks, but one day she goes, "How much did that stereo cost? I bet it was almost $10K wasn't it?"

I immediately and vehemently protested, "No way! Not even close!" Of course, I was being completely honest. It was WAY more than $10K. She wasn't even in the right ballpark.

:edthumbs:

Ash76, Tim 2, Rolltide and 3 others like this.
  14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I make the money, but my wife is the CFO of the household. Not a single thing goes on that she don't know about.

Not that I have any problem with that arrangement (I'm terrible with managing money). I can't imagine not having at least one person in my life that I couldn't be completely honest with.

jimbutsu likes this.
  15. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Use nebulous phrases such as....."It's around........" or "it was roughly......" or "remember the CD player I got a great deal on? It was around the same...." Stuff like that. Hopefully she'll get bored and move on to Candy Crush.

- Buck

Brian Gupton likes this.
  16. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

My position exactly, other than my my wife makes an equal salary as mine.

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Haha my wife found a Nirvana album under the bed in a spare bedroom.
    She was just telling I spend too much $$ on vinyl. Blah blah blah. Then I found the 1 of 750 copy of Nirvana - Bleach at Newbury Comics. So I promptly bought it.

Then stashed it under the bed. Forgot all about it til she comes out laughing her butt off.

18. If I buy something big, I find it's good to get her something too. Sending her off shopping when the delivery is coming typically helps.

avanti1960 and BayouTiger like this.
  19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Try GoodWill or the Salvation Army thrift store. :)

Robin L likes this.
  20. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Yes, and I always run it by her before any purchase.

She always says "sure, whatever."

Same in reverse for any big purchase she wants to make.

So we're cool and it's all good.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Close but no cigar.

22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

The Salvation Army in Riverhead has older AVRs all the time for $35. Go early they don't last.

23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Dr. Phil would approve of this thread and those with honest self disclosing relationships.
    Me- I show my wife a nice low-balled pic from e-bay or craigslist.

24. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

That's great! You're a lucky guy.....she got you the Pink Floyd Immersion set? Impressive!

- Buck

25. timind

timind phorum rezident

I chose "sometime" as she rarely asks and definitely doesn't care. We each have our own discretionary funds. I usually buy used anymore and use paypal. She has never looked at my paypal account and has no idea what's there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.