Do you always reveal the true cost of audio with your significant other?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PROG U.K., Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I would totally take advantage of that.:p

norman_frappe, MonkeyMan and Tim 2 like this.
  2. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Yeah, I am lucky and I know it. Yeah, funny thing about the Pink Floyd: She had asked for some suggestions for what I'd like for Christmas, so I made out a list which included both the DSOTM and WYWH Immersion sets. I expected one or the other...she got me both. :) She doesn't get the audiophile thing exactly, but she does get how much I love music.

3. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Always tell the truth and purchases are discussed - doesn't hurt to be honest.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

ALWAYS
    ........................ I don't lie to my wife about anything, In don't want to have to remember what I said.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  5. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

.....she has no interest in hi-fi or music purchases, I have no interest in handbags, shoes or expensive jewellery so I guess we are even.....

Tim 2 likes this.
  6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

She never ask's :righton:, and often tells me " there are some things you don't need to know " :tsk:, it works both ways then. :love:

Back when we were first married and I was unsure of her acceptance of audio purchases, I would buy a amp or whatever that looked like the previous unit and fit it into the same spot when she wasn't afoot, but was caught a time or two as if she had a suspicion she would check the side of the broom or vacuum for a piece of styrofoam popcorn. Damn static. LOL

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Always up front, never lied. That way lies the road to muchos hassle!

8. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

'Sometimes'... but only if she asks. I'm the bargain hunter in the family so she never really concerns herself with my spending. Rather, she's more interested in my 'storage/hoarding' habits. I don't bring home nearly as much gear as I used to but after she realized that I had over 15 pairs of speakers scattered throughout the basement, she put her foot down and said I couldn't bring home anymore speaks until I got rid a few (or all) of 'em. Of course, that didn't stop me and the next opportunity I had to get a nice pair at a 'too-good-to-refuse' price, I just made sure they were in the basement before she came home. I figured if she didn't notice them for a few weeks, they became part of the basement's landscape and I was home free.

That worked for a few months but one day, I found a pr of JBL L-200's at a thrift shop for next to nothing and promptly bought them without thinking. I was barely able to fit them in my car but finally made my way home and just as I pulled in the driveway, my wife arrived. She stepped out of her car, took one look at the giant boxes in the back of my hatchback and said, "you're not bringing those in the house!" Busted! I made a phone call to a fellow audiobud and within the hour, he was enjoying MY speakers and couldn't thank me enough for such a great deal. Oh well, lesson learned and I did eventually get another pair of the StudioMasters but only after I had reduced the 'collection' substantially.

Tim 2 likes this.
  9. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

She sounds like a keeper to me !!

10. You would think, eh!

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

That's why I've taken up permanent residency in the pooch hut. I don't care what anyone says, women do not appreciate honesty.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Time to upgrade the wife? I'm between wives at the moment. I'll audition many before I decide to purchase, again.

PROG U.K. and The Pinhead like this.
  13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:biglaugh:

14. The Pinhead

Wrong ! They appreciate it in that they can use it AGAINST you:p

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    MonkeyMan likes this.
  15. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Active Member

My wife (Fiancé at the time) was with me the day I bought my Mac gear. Beforehand I took her to a very nice lunch and explained to her that audio equipment was going to be a constant in my life and it's going to be an expensive constant. The agreement that I laid out was that I am free to spend my money on that stuff how I see fit just as long as the needs of the family (her, two cats) are never in jeopardy.

3 years later, not one peep.

PROG U.K. and The Pinhead like this.
  16. The Pinhead

Always wear rubber;)

PROG U.K. and MonkeyMan like this.
  17. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Active Member

Haha, man you aint kidding! There are no additional family members on the itinerary. I'm so safe I even wear rubber underwear and drink nothing but Mountain Dew just in the off chance..... :rolleyes:

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. The Pinhead

Prime stockholder over here:D

Jacob Johnson likes this.
  19. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

There's always "the procedure" if you're certain... :whistle:

Jacob Johnson likes this.
  20. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Always. Just like she tells me the real price every time a new piece of clothing or shoes are purchased. :tiphat:

PROG U.K. likes this.
  21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Good thing you're on here anonymously. Hope your forum posts aren't looked at!

22. I not only tell her, I brag about it. All my stuff is used and current retail would probably be over $3000 for the stuff I paid about $1,000 for. Although all my cartridges were purchased new, the integrated amp, Nak deck and Technics turntable were all used. She loves the fact that I saved money and still find enjoyment in my music

23. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Believe me. that makes no difference. My significant other has a finely tuned double standard. Besides, I've come to enjoy the cat and mouse game of sneaking stuff into the house. Keeps one sharp.

24. REV76

REV76 New Member

My wife will scoff, but doesn't fight me on purchases. It's a two-way street though to keep things fair... she wants something nice then I get it for her. I usually spend more in the long run.

25. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I don't even reveal it to myself. If I was honest with myself, about the true cost of my system and software, I'd smack myself upside the head.

Brian Gupton and REV76 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.