Do you buy equipment based on looks? (poll too)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Do you purchase audio equipment based partially on appearance ?

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

No. sound quality and functionality only.

jawaka1000, jupiterboy and Linger63 like this.
  3. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

It's nice to have vintage sibling separates. Like my Yamaha M80 and C80.

So unless the poll is new gear only, I can't answer it. "Sometimes " is my response.

SandAndGlass, Gang-Twanger and Tim 2 like this.
  4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yup, needs a "sometimes" option.
    If 2 pieces are very similar performance and options wise, I'll go with whatever looks best/matches the rest of my equipment.

jon9091, forthlin, tin ears and 2 others like this.
  5. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes, nearly only looks.

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

As the question doesn't state "always," I can vote yes.
    I have purchased equipment when appearance has been an influence. I have also purchased equipment in spite of its appearance. Whether I keep it or not is based solely on function/sound.

Dave, Tim 2 and mattsob1 like this.
  7. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

If it got down to choosing between two pieces of gear I guess I would initially gravitate towards the better "looking" one.

But after auditioning............I would BUY the better "sounding" one...........EVERY time.

Dave likes this.
  8. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I build systems of matching components for fun (Scott, Fisher, Grommes, McIntosh, Marantz, etc).
    I have others that have been matched for performance. I also don't vote on polls that don't have choices
    that match my situation or those that make me vote first to view the results.

SandAndGlass, Laibach and nm_west like this.
  9. mattsob1

mattsob1 I enjoy distortion

I'd like to think I'm a purist, but I'm sure looks influence my purchase plenty. When you think about it, vision and hearing are both senses, so I try to make both happy.

I'll try to find the link... Harman did a study on this and found out that people always choose their "favorite sounding" speakers differently when they can see them, than they do when the test is blind.

timind likes this.
  10. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

I suspect that appearance does matter to everyone. And it's probably the 2nd most important factor for most buyers (1st being cost). But "we" aren't like most buyers. For us, performance is probably #1 and cost #2 - with looks in 3rd place (i.e. they still matter!).

Laibach, Linger63 and russk like this.
  11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yup. If it looks ugly, I'm not spending hard earned money on it. Gotta find that balance between performance, functions and looks. Just like when buying a car.

showtaper, Dave, Mikeybc and 3 others like this.
  12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I voted yes. If I am paying lots of bucks, I don't want anything ugly to stare at or that will generate complaints from family. But if it's cheap, who cares?

Dave, Aftermath, rebellovw and 2 others like this.
  13. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

the key word is "partially"

14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I've always got to get the best I can afford and try to assemble something that sounds much better than it's price, so no. Looks are not really a factor. The exception is over designed gear, which I might reject even if it sounded good because some looks are just too ornate. I guess I prefer a more industrial look without trend or embellishment.

15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

No but yes

arem, gd0 and Linger63 like this.
  16. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Mrs.Qwerty would love for me to say "yes", but the reality is "no". Budget is a factor in my purchases, so upgrades are far between and often I get vintage equipment so that I get maximum sound quality per dollar. When I have bought new (eg. CD player to get the latest technology/best sound) I have so much mis-matched gear it doesn't really matter. But I would not get anything I consider to be ugly, and there is much good-quality gear that would be visually too different for my tastes. Don't get me wrong though, I do like some very characteristic vintage gear.

17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Would like to factor in appearance, matching brands/finishes, etc, but budget first, sound second, looks in the last place. I do love the look of 70s vintage gear (silver/wood)

Bottom line : best sound I can afford regardless appearance is what works for me.

SandAndGlass, Tim 2 and Manimal like this.
  18. triple

triple Senior Member

I have seen dogs that looked like their owners, but with hifi gear not so much.

Dave, Tim 2 and Linger63 like this.
  19. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Yeah. I like my gear to look cool. It's not hard to find visually impactful kit that sounds great.

20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

It shouldn't make a difference in theory, bit it does.
    Looks not a huge factor overall but all things being equal if I like two pieces of gear to the same degree I'm inclined to buy the prettier one.

Dave likes this.
  21. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I admire beautiful equipment, but it seems like the ugly black boxes I have try harder to please. It's almost like pets, the pure breeds seem to always have some health problem while the "mutts" live long happy lives.

Linger63 likes this.
  22. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Tricky. No, its all hidden... just hope the speakers have a finish that will look good in the room. And I've never paid for a "premium" finish.

23. Jerry Garcia Jr

Jerry Garcia Jr Forum Resident

I voted yes. I refuse to buy equipment that doesn't look good. I miss the good old days when stereo stuff had knobs and VU meters and looked like they were built to last for a thousand years. These days, stereo stuff look often either bland/nondescript or just gaudy. So for looks, I definitely prefer vintage gear, but it's too much hassle for me - I want the stuff to work, too, and I can't repair things myself. I have bought all my gear based on looks and reviews. I hadn't heard anything before ordering...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

WAF ?:(

25. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

No wife. Sure didn't buy the Lounge LCR for its looks, nor the Quad909 with its blue text and central bright green LED!

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.