Do You Buy Music Just Because Steven Wilson Remixes It?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Synthfreek, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity Thread Starter

I’ve seen this mentioned so many times that I wanted to ask. Someone said in the Tangerine Dream - Steven Wilson thread that they better start listening to them. Why would it take something like him remixing their music to finally take notice of an act who’s been around for over 50 years?

2. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I don't know. Ask him.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  3. Synthfreek

Ask Steven Wilson if he purchases music that he remixes himself? Yeah, that seems logical. Why would he do that?

4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

No, but I have some of his mixes on my Hawkwind - "Warrior On The Edge Of Time" deluxe 2CD/1DVD version from Atomhenge (2013).

5. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

No. But I like a lot of the music he remixes so I buy those. Surprisingly, I haven't heard any of his music that I like so I don't own any.

6. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

...n0. Ask the person who said they better start listening to the band since it's being remixed by Wilson.

Geoffsterpiano likes this.
  7. 905

905 Senior Member

No, only what I dig already.

8. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Nope. I buy his remixes for the surround sound mixes of music I already liked. King Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant especially. He missed the mark with ELP's Tarkus though. I still own it, and the surround mix is cool, but the keyboards (Moog mostly) sound too thin. I would never buy something just because he remixed it. I have to already like the music.

10. Bossfan

Bossfan Forum Resident

Wow you have no idea what you are missing. Try listening to it 4 or 5 times and your opinion may change.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I can live without his music, but most everything he remixes I already like :cheers:

Tullman and formu_la like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

He's talented... but no, I buy music to hear what the musicians played, not for who's been clever behind the scenes

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  13. Nope, the only remixes of his I've bought have been of stuff I already liked. That people would buy his remixes strictly on the basis of his involvement is weird to me - I mean, in terms of what he does to the music Wilson's not exactly Kevin Shields or Richard D. James.

Oliver likes this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

To me this goes into the category of:

Music first and then find the best sounding version of the album. I didnt think Aqualung was a remix winner. I do think Chicago 2 remix is a winner. But enjoying both of those albums for the materail is the first step and then sq. I dont go "this album that so well remixed and remastered, I wonder what the material is about"

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I wiould never buy music just because it's been remixed by (fill in the blanks). I bought lots of Wilson's remixes because they were albums I loved/liked.
    I must say that, it was only after listening to the extraordinary results of his mixing job, I became interested in his music. Hand. Cannot. Erase. is one of my favorite albums by anyone. Nevertheless, I skip his remixes of albums I'm not interested in.

jupiter8 and Plan9 like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

only the albums I feel are worthy or I'm not happy with the original, BUT I am firmly against remixes unless they are true to the original mix just with better sound as in Aqualung & Benefit...only a few bumps but nothing drastic...he has respect for the original mix and doesn't destroy it's legacy...

17. No but I like his remixes for Yes and XTC.

jupiter8 likes this.
  18. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I would consider it. I like a lot of the old prog-rock that he likes, so it might be a chance to discover a great old band I didn't know about.

But first I would spend hours reading the forum about the best albums and pressings first and then order more albums than I have time to listen to. Like the Stones mono box I received this week, which I have thus far spun 1 disc from in 3 days. Only 14 more to go!

deredordica and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  19. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

As with most people, I have to like the artist first. A conscientious, sympathetic mix by Wilson is a plus.
    I think it's a small minority who would buy something just because Wilson mixed it.
    I wouldn't buy a Steve Hoffman remaster just because he did the work. That's weird. Hoffman is great at his job and you can expect good results from him, of course.

Plan9 likes this.
  20. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Not hard to understand. If someone appreciates Steven Wilson’music and its influences, then one might be likely to trust his taste when trying out new acts. In other words, not because of the remix specifically, but because SW liked it enough to remix it.

CoachD, samskeyti, denesis and 4 others like this.
  21. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

The man is the best at what he does.
    I own many of his remix efforts and mostly very happy with them. To make a comparison to other remix engineers. The 1st 2 ELP albums were done by Steven Wilson and the next 2 by Jakko Jakszyk and the difference in the quality of the mixes is very noticeable. Wilson is considerably better.

22. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

No: the Yes and Crimson albums I have were bought as this was about the only way of obtaining reasonably priced hi-res versions of the original albums; the re-mixes (stereo only here) are interesting, but sometimes go horribly wrong (CTTE is a very good example); and all the re-mixing in the world is not going to convince me that Topographic Oceans is not over-stretched and over-blown.

23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

No. I don't get the Steven Wilson thing at all. I'm not just saying that either. I seriously don't even understand it :laugh:

MrGrumpy and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  24. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

The Beatles? Yes. But not if he remixed the Monkees!

25. Synthfreek

I chose my words poorly.

Are there any artists you had previously shown no interest in until you heard that Steven Wilson was going to remix them? That is what I find odd. I'm not referring to artists you already know and love.

This is also not a jab at his work as I purchased my first Porcupine Tree track almost 25 years ago. There seems to be a group of people who don't express any interest in an artist until they get his remix treatment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.