Do you collect PIONEER/PIO. ELITE? Let's see your collection.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MacGyver, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

I wish I could share your feelings on this player. It was shockingly poor for the price they wanted in 1998. It had a bad case of chroma upsample error. The layer change response was painfully slow. It added ringing to just about every edge. The jaggies it added to the picture if you had a 4:3 TV with a 16:9 disc were truly ugly. And there was really bad YC timing on the component outs.

In terms of build quality, yes, this machine was a thing of beauty. And it looked gorgeous sitting on a shelf. But in terms of performance, this player was worse than the first generation Sony DVP-S7000 in every regard but one: DTS output.

I've been a lover of Pioneer Elite equipment since the days of laserdisc. I'm currently the proud owner of a CLD-59 LD player and a VSX-74TXvi AV Receiver, which is the heart of my living room system. But Pioneer made very poor DVD players for the first 5 years of the format. They really had a slow learning curve with that format, for whatever reason. I owned their first real progressive scan DVD player, the DV-37, and I can't tell you how glad I was to finally replace it with my Denon 5900.

2. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I had one of those as a loaner for a while, and while we're not supposed to say "giant killer" around here it certainly punches above its weight ;)

3. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

4. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident Thread Starter

PIONEER CT-S800 LASER-AMORPHOUS HEAD CASSETTE DECK (1988/1990)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also produced in a functionally IDENTICAL ELITE series variant; the 1989/1991 CT-91/91a;

* CT-91a sub-variant has BIAS and LEVEL controls
    * CT-91 sub-variant has BIAS control ONLY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Dude, In the third photo what are all those white specks doing all over the tape well? It should be clean as can be.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-05 which was a killer DVD player back in the day. Still plays discs well!

:cheers:

7. MacGyver

that's PIONEER's soft rubber CASSETTE STABILIZER mechanism.
    dust rather tends to stubbornly cling to it, i'm afraid...

8. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

i have a pioneer a-717 amplifier that i can't seem to find too much info on...

9. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

I wish Pioneer would have some High end separates along the line of Marantz reference series or Pearl series. Did Pioneer back in the day ever produce tube equipment?

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

They do have this. It's called TAD electronics.

11. MacGyver

would you be interested in selling it?

12. Glen B

Glen B New Member

The A-717 is 100W x 2 @ 8 ohms, and was manufactured between 1987 and 1988. PM me for copies of the owner's and service manuals.

13. Glen B

Glen B New Member

The same could also be said of the SA-8100, SA-9100, and later SA-8500.

[​IMG]

14. EliteListener

EliteListener New Member

I've always been a fan of Pioneer, and the Elite series (in fact, that's the reason behind my screenname.)

I currently have a VSX-45TX for my media room that is about due to be replaced with some newer Elite gear, used to have an Elite VSX-52 (same as the VSXD-511S) and a few Elite DVD players over the years. However, the cream of the crop of my setups, and the one I do my two channel listening with, is below. The OP might recognize it. ;)

[​IMG]

Even though it doesn't say Elite, it certainly looks/performs as one.

15. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

if i could figure out how to do that i would....

16. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I am deeply impressed with the URUSHI designed Power Amp Pioneer M-73, 25 watts in Class A / 125 in Class AB. 2 different transformers to power each mode. Comes with 2 inputs ; so you can use it without a Pre-amp if you just have two sources..

Attached Files:

17. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Only a few - this one the SM 83 from 1967 looks very tempting and fetches high prices IF someone sells it..

http://www.hifi-studio.de/hifi-klassiker/pioneer/Pioneer_SM83/SM_83.htm

Attached Files:

18. Glen B

Glen B New Member

Click on my username to the left here, and select the option "send e-mail to Glen B". I will reply with the attachments.

19. MacGyver

AMEN to that!!

just i was mentioning in another thread, the D1S is a Stereo Receiver of a caliber that PIONEER pretty much has never yet reproduced since 1990.

it is, in fact, rated to handle loads as high as 16ohms, as well as as low as 2! dynamic power, in fact, is stated to be 280W into 2ohms!!

that, coupled with it's flexible BASS, MID and TRE controls, overall excellent design, and average current asking price on the second-hand market
    make it one of the great under-appreciated Audio bargains out there, in my book...

in fact, i just recently nabbed a like-new, unused copy of the CU-VSX006 programmable remote unit
    that i happen to much prefer over the D1S' supplied CU-VSX014;

[​IMG]

the CU-VSX006 has crisp, razor-sharp silk-screened legends, as opposed to the VSX014's, which are rather "sloppy" and "soft"
    also, the VSX006 also has a far more functional button layout, IMO, at least;

CU-VSX006:

[​IMG]

CU-VSX014:

[​IMG]

(at first glance, the 006's legends seem "Fainter" then the 014's. in actuality though, the 006's are FAR more precise and sharply defined)

[​IMG]

20. MacGyver

oh, and better pics of the M-73;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. EliteListener

EliteListener New Member

I never liked the CU-VSX14 with the first/second year D1S models. I've got the VSX-053 that came with the D1S II, a much more modern looking remote IMO.

22. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

I had one of those, picked it up for 20$ at a flea market a few months ago, turned out the tubes were starting to go and replacing them would me too costly so I sold it for 125$ on Craigs list.

23. MacGyver

CU-VSX053

[​IMG]

i have, and have used, the VSX-9900S' remote, the CU-VSX023, which quite similar to that unit up there, being based on the very same chassis.
    it came along with my original 2003 D1S, that's how i ended up with it.

once i finally got my hands on a CU-VSX014 about a year later, i found myself very much preferring
    the beefy, and very typically 1980's look and feel of it, as i do of all the CU-AV100 series derivatives,
    such as the aforementioned CU-VSX006...

24. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

How would you describe the sound of the M-73 compared to a modern Elite Amp?

25. MacGyver

i don't own one of these, so i wouldn't know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.