Do you collect PIONEER/PIO. ELITE? Let's see your collection.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MacGyver, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

2. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident Thread Starter

i'm thinking about a BRD player, finally,
    and, naturally for me, i want it to be a PIONEER.

the BDP-09FD that i'd ideally like is still a bit too high-priced for my blood,
    but one day, soon enough, it will not be, and a copy will then be mine;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the mean, i'm looking to a BDP 52FD to tide me along.
    i can get one online for between $400/$600,
    and it's design, as well apparent quality fit and finish, greatly impresses me;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Very cool.

And I recommend Kazetachinu of Seiko Matsuda, too...:D

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I don't think I've ever owned anything by Pioneer - but good luck also. May this thread fulfill your need.

5. MacGyver

6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thank you! My favorite works of hisaishi are "Dolls", "Sonatine", "Laputa" and "Kids Return". May not be your cup of tea, though.

Uh, for Pioneer, Akina Nakamori fits well, rather than Seiko....:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLv5_pYbGBw&feature=related

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

8. MacGyver

LAPUTA is wonderful!! i need to check out the rest of those as well!!

like this one?

[​IMG]

9. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai universal player. Bought it new when it was first offered. It replaced the DV-47A with improved SACD playback. It took a bashing in the forums as many posters confused the two players and most probably never heard either. Idiots!

10. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Ok, ok I have a Pioneer VSX 41.

11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Ones with sticky obi? :D

12. Vintage_Rocks

Vintage_Rocks New Member

Cool thread. :cool:

I have a Pioneer Reference F-91 tuner, Reference PD-M90X cdp, Elite PD-59 Stable Platter cdp and an Elite DV-47A dvd/sacd player. The Rosewood panels on the Reference series really make these pieces look classy. I use the F-91 daily and the PD-M90X about once a week. Love them both.

13. MacGyver

welcome to the forum!! current state of affairs with my own M90X, a real beaut, and arguably the finest CD changer ever made;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MacGyver

my single-disc PD-91 is the CD workhorse of my system however, the M90X is largely an object of posterity for me, and not for anything resembling daily use;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Vintage_Rocks

Vintage_Rocks New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I don't want to use my 90X daily due to its age. It does sound awesome and I dread the day that the laser goes out on it. I'm hoping that by using it lightly I can extend it's lifespan.

Have you ever heard the F-91 tuner? The quietest and best sounding tuner I've owned to date. They can be had at a reasonable price as well.

16. Vintage_Rocks

Vintage_Rocks New Member

A PD-91 would sure be sweet to own. I'm almost afraid to price them. Lol!

17. MacGyver

nope, the PD-91, PD-M90X, DV-09 and DV-37 are my only ELITE components to date.

my advice on keeping your M90X healthy; lube the mechanism, and look for PD-M6s, M60s and M70s on the BAY and other places;
    all three of these models share the EXACT same changer mecha/laser pick-up assys. as the M90X,
    and are easily retrofittable to the M90x chassis. if you'd like to know how, just ask...

macster likes this.
  18. Vintage_Rocks

Vintage_Rocks New Member

I had to change the transport out when I got it. I purchased a M70 and swapped out the transports. Sent it out after for an alignment. Been working fine ever since. The only issue is that it can be a little fussy with some burned cd's. I purchased Taiyo cd-r's because they are supposed to be better quality. I have no issues playing those in the unit.

19. macster

macster Forum Resident

You are the man.

M~

20. Vintage_Rocks

Vintage_Rocks New Member

Do you listen to FM at all? I know I may be in the majority as it seems the majority of folks don't use FM tuners these days. I would say that 70% to 80% of my listening is to FM broadcast. Maybe I'm just lucky that I have a couple of stations in my area that play stuff I like. Listening to Jazz on a local college station as I type this message. They're currently playing Duke Ellington.

21. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

One of 2 Pioneer disc players-CLD 1080 LaserDisc/CD Player. Still works, sounds great though it won't read many CD's. Not seen is a Pioneer DV-45A, pictures may come soon.
    [​IMG]

22. MacGyver

that there was my first ever LDP, a 1990 model, with a somewhat embarrassing story attached to it.

my grandma bought it for me for $50, back in the mid 2000's
    when i was staying up at her place for medical treatment at OHSU university hospital,
    and the damned thing lasted me no longer than the 2 weeks/monthish i was stuck up there.

i was packing it, along with the several other components i had gotten earlier in my stay,
    into her car for the 200 mile trip back to my place, and i lost footing going down the steep staircase
    leading down to the front door at the landing, and the -1080 (MINTY, at that)
    went sailing right on down to ram itself face-first into the brass handrailing at the base of the steps.

needless to say, the player was fried,
    and it took perhaps two years before i netted myself a suitable replacement,
    a low-use 1988 CLD-3030, which i maintain in full like-new-or-better functional condition to this day...

23. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I have a pair of speakers, covered in this recent thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/help-identify-these-pioneer-speakers.278157/#post-8563072

They are branded Pioneer and Fukuin, which means they are among the very first "big" speakers Pioneer ever made after their move to a new factory in 1961. After that, the speakers were branded Pioneer. They are in Jensen Bass Ultraflex cabinets, also known as Onken cabinets for a Japanese company who later adapted the design for high end speakers. The build quality is great, as is the sound, when played through a tube amplifier. I think of these speakers as the predecessor to Pioneer's TAD series of professional speakers from the 1970's.

24. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I have an old Pioneer VSX-21 5.1 HT receiver that I run in 5.0. I know, I should buy a sub. My speakers are a pair of Triangle Cometes and a Sextan center channel and some garbage Pioneer 12" cabs for the rears. They are just there to keep the amps loaded down. I just really care about the front 3 channels.

I have had to purchase 2 remotes as the dog has chewed up the original and one. After that the Pioneer was moved to my mancave and the family can listen to HDTV through the TV.

25. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

i had a PD-65 cd player for a while, loved it Then udrd it for a while ss a transport with an Audio Alchemy de-jitter upsmple thingie and their dac at the time. i think the whole rig ws over $1500, some cash at the time. From what i have seen the Pioneer Elite PD-65 cd plauer may have kept it's value better than just about any audio component.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.