Do you dislike it when an original album is reissued with longer tracks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

Does this bother people who only want the album as it was originally released? Kind of like the bonus tracks discussion... I don't mind it myself.
    I think the first Grateful Dead remaster does this on a couple of songs.

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'd say that Roxy Music messed too much with "Manifesto", even before CD's. The original version was just right-- "Angel Eyes" needed to be the token rock'n'roll song. Replacing that with the longer dance version was all wrong. And the original mix of "Dance Away" was just fine as well.

Galeans likes this.
  3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I would prefer if it was released on a separate disc. Kind of like the 25th Anniversary of Machine Head where the first disc was the original album remastered and the second disc was the remixed version containing alternate takes and no fade-outs at the end of tracks.

4. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I resent an original album being released with shorter tracks, just to fit in more songs on a disc (s).

Example: Grand Funk Railroad cut time from their original LP release of "Caught In The Act".

Specifically from the intro to the first number "Footstompin' Music".

905 likes this.
  5. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

I can think of 1 small case where it "righted a wrong"(?)
    On the CD reissue of The Velvet Underground's 'Loaded', the non-edited version of 'Sweet Jane' was
    sequenced back in with the 'Heavenly wine and roses' chorus restored.

But otherwise, I can appreciate and prefer the historical aspect when the original LP is respected, and a seperate 2nd disc of bonus material bonus tracks, is appended, not substituted. Having the bonus single edit/mono single, b-sides is cool, and occassionally an alternative take or BBC session.

Sometimes, the reissue is badly mastered, so my digital library may have the original 1st issue CD or LP needledrop, and I substitute out/remove the brickwalled remaster disc 1, but append the bonus material as a 2nd seperate bonus disc to create the ultimate version for myself...

bleachershane likes this.
  6. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

I liked it on the remaster of David Gilmour. Several of the tracks have longer fadeouts.

7. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Only as bonus tracks. Original album should stay intact. Two of my favorite songs on Neil Young's "Trans" are "Sample and Hold" and "Like an Inca." When it got to CD both were extended -- i believe for former was the 12-inch mix, the latter was simply longer without explanation. Like 'em, but need the originals too.

qtrules and mgoad30 like this.
  8. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I usually prefer longer tracks or bonus tracks to be kept separately - other than the VU example that some poster earlier.
    When I import albums onto my computer, I usually keep the original album by itself and put the bonus tracks somewhere else. I think albums are kinda like works of art and shouldn't be added onto or tampered with.

nelsorp likes this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think it is a case by case basis. Let's take case 1: the Rolling Stones It's Only Rock N Roll. The track Luxury is extended a bit. Fine. I now see no use for the shorter original, and don't mind it fading into obscurity. Time Waits For No One has a longer version, only by a few seconds at the fade, and in my opinion should have been included on all releases (it does come on the Japanese release now.)

Case 2: Paul McCartney's McCartney II. A good number of tracks were edited down for release (sometimes quite a lot.) All the full length versions are now available as bonus tracks. And let them stay there. The shorter versions pack more of a punch, and work better for the album proper. The longer takes are fun, but are as good as outtakes in the sense that they aren't finished, because they are a bit too indulgent.

Basically, I think that if there was a lot edited from a song, and if it really changes the feel, then it calls for a bonus track. But if the edit was a bit superfluous, or the song had an early fade and goes on for another 1 minute or so at most, then I'm ok with the longer version replacing it. I realize it is revisionism, but I think it is far less detrimental than remixing tracks, or worse, replacing a track with a 12 inch remix or something. But I really don't want to listen to an album, and then relisten to a bunch of songs because 30 seconds of music was reinserted. (Another example is Pink Floyd's Ummagumma, as the standard Sisyphus is a bit longer than the original.) If anything, the fact that Ringo's Six O'Clock is still the short version on the regular CD bothers me, while the full version is a bonus cut on another album. Everything extra comes after the "end" and in a shuffle, I'll usually skip over the shorter version, because I feel like it's not worth listening to, just to get an incomplete track. Of course, these were both released simultaneous to boot, the longer one being on the 8-track in '73.

Addendum, I also don't mind when a count-in or something that was trimmed for the original release is restored later, although I don't like it when something originally included is later lost!! (I'm looking at you, Tell The Truth by Derek And The Dominos!!)

mgoad30 likes this.
  10. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I always forget that there are different versions of these tracks - until I play the album (which means it's not one of theirs that I've played too often..) I remember them coming out as 12" singles, which was quite novel to me being quite young and them being far less common than the standard 7 inchers... so I assume these were the same versions? And then there was the single release of Trash, which has the two versions of the song on that. Bryan did like his alternate versions though, didn't he- I mean, look at the Let's Stick Together album tracks that were re-recorded (I know it's chiefly a compilation though.)

But looking at the Manifesto album, it puts me in mind of The Jam and very often they'd have a different mix or longer version on the album; a few examples are Down In The Tubestation At Midnight, Eton Rifles and Start. I was fine with those as I used to get the singles anyway as I could rely on them to have excellent b-sides. I must admit I like the single version of Eton Rifles better though, more 'direct.' :)

11. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I like it on Jimmy Smith's Root Down, a couple of songs were edited for the original vinyl release do to space limitation.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and serge like this.
  12. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Yes, agreed, for live albums that were originally edited due to LP length restrictions I think it's preferable to have the full-length versions.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  13. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

When I copy my cd's to itunes etc. I generally download both original Cd and it's remaster (with the additions) and use "get info" at preferences and add my comments allowing me to AB songs when listening on computer,ipad etc....One of my great kicks is listening to various versions back to back..original cd copies stay with me and files can always be altered or put into space.
    I appreciate and look forward to bonus tracks, remixes of same tracks etc.

14. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

yep i love bonus tracks or extended versions, regardless of artist

the dark knight likes this.
  15. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Sure, case by case. The Grateful Dead's debut had several extended tracks and I preferred them that way as I wasn't married to the original vinyl and this was my first exposure to it. Dire Straits' Bothers In Arms - the extended versions of several tracks found on the CD were cool as well.

The Virgin version of Tattoo You had an extended version of 'Slave' which I loved and much preferred over the original vinyl release version. I loved the missing parts of the "Wheels Of Fire" version of 'Toad' (the intro, not the drum solo!) and felt it should have been released like that all along.

Normally I don't like my Hendrix edited but the original Ryko release of 'Winterland' had several edited tracks which which made for a more focused lean-and-mean listening experience. Some of Jimi's more meandering riffing was edited out but the problem with this is that someone else is making the decision as to what should be left in and what should be excised. In any case, there was the box set for those who wanted their Winterland unabridged. (Someone will no doubt tell that even the box set had some edits. Oh well.)

The only time I didn't like an extended version is 'Knock Me Down' from the Chili's 'Mother's Milk'. The parts that were edited out didn't really add anything to the song and I though it was the right decision to remove them. The extended version was included as a bonus track so those who didn't like it could skip it.

M

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

The more bonus tracks the merrier, I say. Sometimes they're the best thing on it, i.e., The Crossing on the Big Country CD of the same name, or Quest For the Harvest of the Stars on Modern Music by Be-bop Deluxe.

markbrow likes this.
  17. serge

serge Forum Resident

jimmy smith root down on cd is essential.... the jams go on!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and John Fell like this.
  18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I would prefer the original album be untouched. I don't mind a good remaster that might provide an improved presentation of the original but if they are going to mess with tracks in any other way I prefer them as bonus tracks at the end of the album or a separate CD for Deluxe Editions.

Dave S, OneStepBeyond and markbrow like this.
  19. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

That was the first example I thought of as well, and after reading the entire thread it's still the only one I can think of where adding in the deleted portion improved the song. I don't doubt that there are others, but I can't think of any offhand.

20. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Yeah I remember the first time I heard these and freaked out (Mihalis is a fave of mine)as there was no mention at all anywhere that they did it.Now the original seems odd .

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  21. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

This.

22. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

this was going to be my example too. in my case, i only heard the "original" LP versions after listening to the cd versions for a long time. the extended ones are better IMO.

markbrow likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not if they do not included the original version of the album...longer bonus tracks in addition...yes.

24. nelsorp

nelsorp Well-Known Member

^This. They should stand on their own. I like the bonuses, but don't consider them part of the original album.

25. Kurofuda

Kurofuda Active Member

It bugged the heck out of me when I bought The Rolling Stones, Now! on CD and heard that long version of "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love." An inferior version, to my ears.

Although I believe that was a mistake which was corrected later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.