Do You Ever Bid On Cd's On Ebay Just To Drive The Price Up?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Malina, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

I do this on occasion when I stumble across a rare cd or a box set that looks like it's going to sell for cheap. I have no intention of buying it, I just bid the price up if it's way lower than what I paid for it. This is clearly a moral failing.

I recently bought a Time Life Golden Age of Country 18 cd Super Set for a little over 90 bucks. I actually bought two of them with the intention of selling one of them to subsidize the one I kept. Of course one of the sellers sent me the 10 cd set instead of the18 cd set. Then I saw one listed on Ebay starting at $9.99, so I bid it up and it sold for $117.50. I only bid up to about 65 bucks and let the other bidders take over. I do this very rarely, but clearly there is something wrong with me.

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

You'll get no argument from me.

3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Hahahaha!!! Lord.

Malina likes this.
  4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

5. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Why even get involved in an item you have no intention of wanting? if you were a bidder wouldn't you want to pay less if you could?

6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

please post your eBay user name so I can report you

7. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

:D

8. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

schadenfreude

Joshua277456 and Malina like this.
  9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Why feed a troll?

RSharpe likes this.
  10. Malina

That's why I said it's a moral failing. :laugh: Like I said, I've done this very rarely. I didn't kill Cecil the lion.

11. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

So you enjoy making people pay more than they have to for something you don't want.
    You shouldn't be allowed on eBay, or this forum for that matter!!

RSharpe and MRamble like this.
  12. Malina

Report me for what? Get a clue. I buy and sell on Ebay a lot more than you. That means Ebay likes me!

13. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I did the exact same thing years ago before ebay hid user ids and made everything totally anonymous. My victims were obvious "flippers" who found stuff on the cheap with no intentions of keeping it, but would re list at crazy prices..... and then brag blatantly about their profit margins. I figured out their bidding patterns and would bid them up to their near maximum and then back away. The seller usually made out and the flippers got screwed. Good for 'em.

And the reason I did it in the first place? They got a few good deals from me, turned around and resold it and rubbed my nose in it. You know, the blatant bragging part..... Sort of like a bunch of people here were up in arms about.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    kwadguy and Malina like this.
  14. Malina

Oh my lord. What a crybaby. As I noted, I stopped bidding on the Golden Age of Country box at $65.00. I would have purchased it at that price and resold it. I hate to tell you, but all Ebay cares about is money. That's why their programmers are the worst in the world and the site is such a mess. Ebay loves me as I spend a ton of money there and sell too.

15. motionoftheocean

oh I'm sure you're right. just please post your username or feel free to send it via pm.

16. Malina

That is very interesting. So you were a vigilante! Making and enforcing your particular moral code on others. That is a SCANDAL! :laugh: What I don't understand is how the flippers "got screwed". If you bid them up to their limit then that is what they were willing to pay.

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

These days you might just end up with the CD:cheers:

18. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Go find a nobel cause that auctions off items for their programs

Bid up the items and occasionally end up buying some

That seems to me a better use of your time and would satisfy your self righteous streak

19. Malina

Start your own auction site. I recommend starting with Pez dispensers. :winkgrin:

20. Malina

Good point, as I've said, I've done this very rarely. But you make a good point - the bidding wars are pretty much over. Any seller ignorant enough to start at a low bid is going to usually eat his hat. I do all BIN at a high price when I sell now. I just bought a Warner Chappell set for 99 bucks - the only bidder. Gonna flip it for 300, the last new set sold for 400 so I am doing a public service.

21. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident

R28R-2001
    No, i have a life...

ARK, eddiel, Jack Flash and 1 other person like this.
  22. Malina

Self righteous? That's you attempting to impose your idea of what is right and wrong upon me, but I don't take offense.

23. Malina

I know. You live with the 2 Abba chicks. I'm not so lucky!

24. motionoftheocean

OP is so committed to the cause that he won't share his eBay username. I'm hoping to study his bidding prowess rather than just marvel at the eloquence of his posts here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.