Do you ever find yourself satisfied with your system/s?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know that many of you like to try lots of new gear, tweak what's currently in your system and so on but are any of you like me, who once a system is together, says, done?

I realized that other than replacing a CD player in my main system a few years ago, all of that gear is 15-25 years old and I almost never spend much time thinking what needs to be improved or changed. I just listen to the music.

The same goes with the other three systems I have elsewhere although they are all newer. I've found that a Marantz integrated (I've got a PM8004, PM6004, and PM5005) matched up to NHT SuperOne speakers makes me happy. These days, much of my listening is streaming a couple jazz radio stations (like jazz24.org) and I do it from an iPad Air directly connected via a Monoprice mini to RCA cable. I've got a couple turntables and spin records still and listen to CD's but streaming has become my main source.

BTW, I also use Monoprice 12g speaker wire with bare ends as well as Monoprice interconnects. I don't think I could hear any difference with higher end cabling in any event, especially with the level of gear I use.

Granted, at almost 65, my hearing is upper limited to about 12k hz and I don't like much low end. I'm a mid-range guy. Regardless, I love to read what others are doing and I occasionally learn a few things. But to get back to the point of this topic, how many of you, at some point, say, "I'm done!"?

2. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I've been satisfied with my system since 1997. Added two Russ Andrews mains leads a couple of years ago and I've been even more satisfied. I've changed nothing in 18 years and I'll be happy not to have to change anything for another 18 years.

David Ellis likes this.
  3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I'm very satisfied at the moment. I was away from home for three months and there's nothing like coming home after all that time and listening to your gear to make you appreciate good sound. I'm particularly satisfied with the digital side of my system this week since I just got a huge upgrade in my CD playback with the addition of a Rega Apollo outputting to a Schiit Bitfrost Uber DAC. Not only am I hearing detail I hadn't before I'm finally getting sound akin to analogue on the well mastered discs.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes. Often. Daily in fact.

5. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Wish I could truthfully say "yes"! But I am close ...

VinylRob likes this.
  6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

7. Maxwell86

Maxwell86 Active Member

Yes very happy

8. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

I have a very basic system and over the past few months I have tweaked speaker placement and tone controls to the point where I really love how my stereo is sounding right now. I have no desire to buy anything else anytime soon and my ears do not get fatigued listening to the music.

I do hope that a lot of the peeps here keep on tweaking. I love to see and read about their new equipment and setups and it always gives me ideas on improvements or changes in the future.

supermd likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's encouraging! I skim most of the audio forums and it seems like guys are never happy and always trading out gear. Maybe it's just for the fun part of it for them to do that but I'm happiest kicked back and listening to the variety of music I enjoy. I hate fussing with stuff (as my wife will attest to!).

PiratesFan brings up a good point about speaker placement. That's one thing I do mess with in order to get imaging just so. I'm fortunate I have no wife restrictions in that arena.

11. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

I just have no wife that makes anything stereo related easy!

apesfan and Alan2 like this.
  12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Absolutely. I enjoy trying little adjustments and tweaks here and there, but I'm pretty much satisfied with the choices I've made.

13. Tore Pedersen

Tore Pedersen Member

Yep. Love it.

14. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

Pretty satisfied with the overall sound of both my systems. Not really considering any major purchases but for cartridges as they wear.

Alan2 likes this.
  15. chodad

chodad Hodad

I'm thrilled.

16. My system is 30 years old. Been done for a long time.

Joshua277456 likes this.
  17. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Frequently. Then, two days later, with nothing changed, I'll be very dissatisfied and wondering what's gone wrong. I'm still searching. I just sent out an amplifier to be modified by Steve McCormack. The life of an audiophile.

John K.

18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'll be OK as long as nothing else breaks and a tech tells me they can't repair it.

Summerisle and Tim 2 like this.
  19. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I'm loving it!

20. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I started a similar thread on computeraudiophile which I think is even an even more anal crowd than this forum can be. When you're talking computer audio, even the littlest things are seemingly significant. But bringing it back to here where so many users are equipped with turntables, it's a great question. So many moving parts, so many chances for incremental improvements.

Me personally - I guess "kinda" is the operative term. I absolutely love and am thrilled with my system. It can move me to tears, it can raise the hairs on the back of my neck. It can make me tap my feet, strum my air guitar, violently assault my air drums, and generally make me appreciate life and my condition.

But, as with all things - cars, food, computers, sports, relationships, nothing is perfect. Nothing. Tweaking, playing, experimenting, to me, defines this hobby. Some may say that a lack of trying new things makes them feel like they're being left behind. Others will say they don't see the point. I so envy the latter crowd.

What I've come to learn so far is that so many tweaks will impart a "different" sound but it's up to the listener to decide if such a difference benefits their experience. In the end, so long as you enjoy your system, that's all that matters. But I simply cannot begrudge anyone for wanting to try new things. You never know what you could have had if you don't try something different. That doesn't mean it's always an improvement.

apesfan likes this.
  21. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

A lot of the time I just think my system is adequate. But that may be just a subjective thing, as my mood is not consistently good due to depression etc. I'm not one to tweak around with my system much, so it's either okay as it is or a bit disappointing.

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Very satisfied with my system. :)

23. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

A couple of major changes in the past year or so (speakers, amp, and more recently phono stage) and feel the main bits are likely to stay a long time now. Especially from a budget perspective. Really, really loving the system.

That said I'm all for continued learning and evolution - which to me is different to (the curse of) feeling something like that X-Wing pilot flying through the death star trench at the end of Star Wars....'Almost there....almost there...'

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Much more than satisfied. Every time we listen to the main system we marvel at the way it commands our attention even at low levels. It's more than just superior clarity, detail and musicality it's the way a properly designed and synergized system endlessly follows the melody and communicates a sense of touch.
    To answer the second question, if your truly an audiophile ( hate the word ) your never really "done ".

25. Sword-of-Kings

Sword-of-Kings Well-Known Member

Yes, but I would like to get a better turntable eventually. My turntable is a pretty basic one that I think is from the early 90s.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.