Do you ever get "persecuted" for the music you like?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

My punk friends persecute me for liking Pink Floyd and Abba.

My "classic rock" friends persecute me for liking Punk Rock and industrial.

Neither can understand either.

Can anyone else relate?

I'm just a guy who likes music - a vast array. Why must I pick some sort of faction or side? Can't we all just get along? Why must things be all inclusive? Oh yeah, I also like various rap as well.

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Using the word 'persecute' with respect to someone making fun of your music tastes is ridiculous and shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the word.

3. Baba Oh Really

Semantics. Meh. Bah. Moving right along...

4. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

You like Abba? I would ''persecute'' you too.

Haha. Just kidding. I like Abba as well.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  5. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I have a Goth friend who lives in Russia (she's Swedish) and two Goths were just stabbed to death by a religious fanatic because of their heresy. That sounds like persecution.

6. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

An awful lot of people just like one or two types of music and never go beyond it ( and there are quite a few of them on this forum). There's good and bad in all genres. And there's way too much good music out to dismiss it because it's "punk" or "pop" or whatever. Their loss.

7. trd

trd Forum Resident

I love phish and the grateful dead, so yes :agree:

I have an extensive collection of all sorts of other music across a ton of genres, I'm truly a music lover in general. But those two bands are my far and away favorites, I've seen phish over 120 times and have a tattoo of garcias handprint on my upper back shoulder

8. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Ha! There ya go. No one expects this forum to handle the blights of human history. My tastes are all over the place but the guys I work with seem to laugh at most of it because it's not heavy metal. Off topic: my fat fingers trying to type "because" just got auto corrected to "bra size". It's Saturday night.

9. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Back in '69 I was in 8th grade and used to bring albums to school occasionally. I was just getting into prog FM. There were a couple of 'ahead of the curve' dudes like me that were into new sounds. I remember hanging in the courtyard before school opened and bunch of classmates (mostly jocks and bullies) were giving me grief about the lp I was holding, calling it f^g music and worse.
    The lp was called "Led Zeppelin"

10. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

As a metal/punk guy that loves the Grateful Dead....yes.

11. Baba Oh Really

You know, you have to be true to yourself. If you like something, you should enjoy it. If nobody else "gets it", that's trivial, IMO. Besides: They secretly look up to you because you have tastes outside of the box..

Shak Cohen, HominyRhodes and TS582 like this.
  12. Baba Oh Really

Me too. I would qualify that for myself though: I like SOME Grateful Dead. Largely, their body of work is abysmal, IMO: but some of the stuff is positively "great" (ie: Dire Wolf and maybe two dozen others). Also, I adore their last two albums: which puts me at odds with even the Grateful Dead fans, so.....................

ianuaditis and dennis1077 like this.
  13. Baba Oh Really

You knew something that they did not.

But eventually would...............

14. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

When I was in my teens, yes.

Bowieboy likes this.
  15. Baba Oh Really

Brother, I hear you. If I like something, I'll proclaim it unapologetically, no matter WHAT it is!!. Example: I'd say most of what I hear on "classic rock" radio is embarrassingly bad. I think songs like "Freebird" is abysmal. All those people holding their lighters up can stick them where the sun don't shine! But songs like "Gimme three steps"? - absolute greatness!!!

trd and TS582 like this.
  16. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

In 1979, I picked up an album at the record store I worked at just because I thought it looked interesting. It was "Singles Going Steady" by the Buzzcocks, and I loved it almost immediately. I played it for a friend who was really into Styx, Journey, etc, and all he had to say is that they must have been signed for a tax write off, because they sure weren't signed for any talent.

17. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

I genuinely believe that the majority of Dead bashers never took the time to explore their catalogue. They seem to be reacting to some pre-existing notion of what the Dead are.

Hell, anyone who admires the art of story-telling should be inherently drawn to the lyrics of Robert Hunter.

18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

During my younger years when I was a teen I would get bullied for my musical preferences.

As an adult, my hobby listening to vinyl/music is seen by some people I know as quaint.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  19. Baba Oh Really

A good song is a GOOD SONG, period!! Whether it's ABBA, NWA, Vanilla Ice, or Garth Brooks !!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

In real life? Not since high school. Online? Sometimes, but it comes with the territory. Given the diversity of tastes around here, it's natural that some people would dislike certain bands that I love and for the most part, I shrug it off. There are certain bands that seem inspire an unusual degree of ridicule (the Monkees come to mind). I've also noticed that both prog (never the most fashionable of genres) and punk have a lot of detractors squaring off sometimes in less than friendly terms, but somehow I love both.

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I wonder if putting people down for their musical tastes goes hand in hand with judging people for their appearance. In other words, just because a person "looks" a certain way, you automatically lump them in with a stereotype. Same with music...just because it's by ABBA, it's automatically lame...just because it's Punk or Industrial, it's all senseless noise.

Your friends' means of judging music (i.e., placing it under labels and categories) only shows their shortcomings and limitations both as people and music fans.

Shak Cohen and Jarleboy like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I can sum it up in one four letter word.......K-I-S-S.

23. 905

905 Senior Member

Yes, when I was a kid my Grandma couldn't understand that I didn't dig Barbra Streisand.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  24. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Well I have a side of me that love "Trout Mask Replica" and Scott Walker's "Tilt" and music genres that to me can't be weird or imaginative enough. It's 'only' music, I see no reason to hold back if you have the musical brain of an Einstein. Use it! But for many people, they're used to this three minute radio song and everything outside of that box is 'sick'. They don't really Listen to music. I guess somewhere along the road I just learned to keep it out of the conversation.

Jarleboy and TS582 like this.
  25. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Hair Metal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.