Do You Ever Get The Feeling That Your Musical Perspective Is Not Representative On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It would be helpful if we had less Beatles, perhaps a one year ban, and in their place we discusss the merits of the great southern “guitar-army” Molly Hatchet. :winkgrin:

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've been posting here for over a decade and I've NEVER started a popular thread. Every thread I've ever started has fizzled after a couple of pages. I've watched certain other members start lots of popular threads - sometimes it's because they go for the clickbait titles or provocative subjects, sometimes it's I-dunno-why. But I've never thought that the reason my threads were overlooked was because the Beatles or whoever were sucking up all the air.

3. I think the Forum is in a bit of a transition, those of us left from the old days are playing reconnaissance for those that now show up. A lot of the old heads are gone, but the info is there in the threads. I think cause we have new threads on many old subjects it feels like we are treading water. Maybe having old threads opened would change that feeling, and give perspective.

Once Steve finishes talks with Fat Beats and Stones Throw on his 2LP 45rpm remasters series of 90s classic hip hop all will be well again (we will only be behind 25-28 years).

fenderesq and carlwm like this.
  4. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

OK, you should know by now that some dork will inevitably post a smart-ass response to this, and that dork might as well be me, so here 'ya go:

(In all seriousness though, this guy actually is a highly regarded Folk artist in NZ, and has released about 15 albums. Some of the native Maori Folk music is quite interesting too.)

wrappedinsky likes this.
  5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Not me. I maintain that the highest quality rock (Zep, Who, Stones, Beatles, Hendrix, Bruce, Kinks, Petty, and dozens of lesser lights, et al) is the greatest music ever created. Why would anyone stop listening to that?

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

This:laughup:
    I feel out of place here, as I think the Best Music Artist from Liverpool is Echo & the Bunnymen. I like the Beatles(well not the early Boy Band Pop Music, but Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, MMT & Abbey Road, still need to give more time to Rubber Soul and Let It Be and for some reason have not 'gotten' The White Album yet).

Anyways, for every 1 Time have listened to a Beatles Album, I have listened to a Bunnymen Album 80-100 Times(Approximate Guess).

If Ian McCulloch and Will Sergeant are Forum Members, hope they give me a 'Like' for my post:wave:.

7. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I love having folks to discuss music with. No one in my real life is all that interested, and certainly won't spend days discussing the intricacies of a Joni Mitchell song with me! It's a huge forum. There are certainly people around who you have much in common with. Just join in on the threads that appeal to you and don't post in the ones that don't.

I'd also advise that ignoring folks is a hindrance rather than a boon to enjoyment of the forum. I no longer have anyone on ignore. If I had let one bad day (on my part, I was being over sensitive) get in the way, I wouldn't have gotten to know @Sordel or enjoyed his many wonderful posts in my threads. Interacting with lots of different people from many perspectives is what makes this place great. That's a lesson I have learned and won't forget. :)

@If I Can Dream_23 I just wanted to tell you that I've always admired your positivity. You approach every conversation with an open mind and never get upset when someone disagrees with you (or hates on Kiss!) I really look to you as a great example of how to get the most out of the forums and contribute positively. You rock! :righton:

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Nah, Bon Jovi has that category covered:agree:.

Fullbug likes this.
  9. FWIW, I listen to Robert Plant's first four (4) solo albums about 10x more than I do Led Zeppelin. I'll be 50 next year, and my interest in Zeppelin took a big nosedive after college.

I still like Zeppelin now and then, but it's definitely just "like" and not "love". I spin Presence about once a year, and maybe one other random Zeppelin album every once in a blue moon.

But those first 4 Plant solo albums get spun (usually all of them) about once every 8-10 months.

Mechanical Man and Fullbug like this.
  10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The absolute beauty of this forum is that I will find a discussion that speaks to me with no effort whatsoever. The discussions about things that don't interest me, which outweigh ones that do, just get ignored. I will say that there is a tremendous amount of repetition in the threads-use the search people!

Jarleboy, bhazen and fr in sc like this.
  11. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Thank you so much! I appreciate that. I do try, but you are far too kind. Half the time I feel like I'm tripping over my own tongue. :)

I have enjoyed so many of your posts as well and always appreciate your genuine views.

12. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Your writing style reminds me of something. Exchanging the mix of punctuation you use for the hyphen, your style is very similar to the Mr. Jingle character in Dickens's The Pickwick Papers.

fenderesq, Fullbug and strummer101 like this.
  13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Kidding aside, my musical perspective is so all over the map that it's difficult for me to not find something here that represents some aspect of it. Lots of knowledgeable information and one of the best resources for finding out about music both new new and covered in dust. Some excellent writing about same, to boot.

14. If I Can Dream_23

I agree. The stuff actually worthwhile only gets better over time, not worse. And usually reveals more layers of appreciation with time - if it meant anything to the listener in the first place. It's no different than having to watch, say "Citizen Kane" or "La Dolce Vita" a million times so you can appreciate a frame or shot of symbolism you missed on the previous 999,999 viewings. :)

I never understood the idea of having to "drop artists you love". But then again, I think of my own musical journey not as constantly replacing but forever accumulating. There is more than enough room in my musical heart to understand that I can still listen to a new Jazz artist for the first time, while simultaneously realizing that Zeppelin only becomes more rewarding for me as well. It's never an either/or thing for me. It's an "everything thing". :)

Is it even healthy to not savor the eternal joy that is the music of Led Zeppelin? :unhunh:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  15. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

The OP's writing style:

Ah! you should keep dogs — fine animals — sagacious creatures — dog of my own once — pointer — surprising instinct — out shooting one day — entering inclosure — whistled — dog stopped — whistled again — Ponto — no go; stock still — called him — Ponto, Ponto — wouldn't move — dog transfixed — staring at a board — looked up, saw an inscription — "Gamekeeper has orders to shoot all dogs found in this inclosure" — wouldn't pass it — wonderful dog — valuable dog that — very.

The Pickwick Papers, Chapter 2, quoting the Alfred Jingle character.

16. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I genuinely believe, earnestly that 4'33" is the most significant piece of music of the 20th century. It provided a new way to hear, and throughout my day I find myself listening to 4'33" everywhere I go. Understanding this piece of music has helped me to realize that no piece of music is any better than any other; that all of the mystical, magical stuff happens by processes the listener, not the artist undergoes. Therefore it is hard for me to endure negative threads, for to me all music is equally good. With that said, for sure some lyrics are better than others, some productions more listenable and some DR numbers preferred. But the music itself (and most importantly, the impact it may have on even one listener) is impossible to measure. So I am bothered when we constantly try to do so.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. If I Can Dream_23

Yes. It's true, as in most anything, that often the popular threads are simply the controversial ones or the ones that ask for a response that requires a negative answer or opinion. And that immediatedly draws a more...anxious...or visceral...response from people at large. And that's okay, because I still defend their right to be posted. In most cases, since I don't like negative threads, I simply choose the free right to not click or participate.

Some of the merely controversial threads can be fun though. :)

lschwart and dkmonroe like this.
  18. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I hear William Shatner or Christopher Walken delivering these lines.

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

And most of those are about KISS. :righton:

20. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

The main reason I visit this site is the collective knowledge of 1960-1985 guitar rock / pop rock music. How it was recorded, mixed, mastered, released. If there's a better site on the net for that, I don't know of it.

And while I like tons of music that fit into that category, it's probably just 10% of what my musical interests. So I don't expect consensus.

In fact where it comes to art, consensus is pretty useless.

Fullbug, Jarleboy and Grant like this.
  21. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

There are a couple of bands that are "favorites" on this forum that the first time they were brought up, I thought it was a joke, but it wasn't.
    I'm not going to mention them out of respect for other folks likes, it just causes bad feelings.
    I'm a die hard Blues and old school Soul music and forum history tells me I'm not alone but we're a small percent of the forum. .:)

22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

The simple fact is if you’re a music connesoure you need this forum, or one like it. The vast majority of the public are the ones who don’t share my perspective. I may not agree with all the opinions I encounter here but at least people are familiar with the topic and care about it. Most folks I encounter otherwise are more along the lines of, “Oh, can you still buy vinyl records?”

Jarleboy, Zeki and carlwm like this.
  23. The Forum's 24hr Peter Tork and Paul McCartney 'Briefs or Boxers' coverage is probably the best in the business.

24. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Frank Sinatra is well covered!

25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The link doesn't work for me. Aussie sabotage???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.