Do You Ever Get The Feeling That Your Musical Perspective Is Not Representative On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7 Thread Starter

No the Rabbi never thought grammar was all that important... nor math, history or science for that matter.

Chemguy, lschwart and luckybaer like this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

One of my Favorite Great Original Hip Hop Music Artists(Whodini) came from your Home City of Brooklyn(I thought Kurtis Blow was also from Brooklyn, but he was from NYC). Some Great Songs like 'The Freaks Come Out at Night', Escape(I Need a Break)', 'Five minutes of Funk', 'Friends', 'The Haunted House of Rock', 'It's All in Mr. Magic's Wand', 'Funky Beat', etc.

Whodini was early enough in the 1980s when they created their own FUNK Music to Rap to, and did not Sample from Older Songs that was done by several 1990s Hip Hop Music Artists(yeah, I am looking at you Dr. Dre-Leave George Clinton's Music Alone, then there were a few Songs that just basically took the Music from Songs by Lakeside, Mass Production, which I ironically discovered the same time the 1990s Hip Hop Artists were Stealing, errrr Sampling from the Original Songs, and I just wanted to hear the Original Songs). I am liking what I hear from Kendrick Lamar so far, and his use of Musicians(like Kamasi Washington and Thundercat).

"Born and Raised in the Streets of Brooklyn, There's 3 of Us and We're All Good Looking"-Whodini

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    fenderesq likes this.
  3. fenderesq

A viable argument can be made for "Brooklyn Is Where It's At" and always was... not of course the new "hipster" Brooklyn; that's just for show. Ask Henry Miller, William Bendix, Carmine Appice, Otis Blackwell, Betty Carter, Art Blakey... Jay Z...

lschwart and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  4. fenderesq

The Hound baby!

phillyal1 and Chance like this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

Most of the Music in my Collection does not match most of the Threads I see in this Forum, but I still get a lot from here(after skipping over the 5-10 Beatles Threads that can Clog up the first 2 Pages at times-I was into the Sgt. Peppers 50th Anniversary Thread and Mono Masters Vinyl Thread, but that is about it), as I went on to discover Older Music Artists like Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, 13th Floor Elevators, Jethro Tull(since I am a Steven Wilson Fan, who remixed their catalog including for 5.1), Roxy Music, or just getting suggestions on Albums to first check out on Music Artists from the past 20+ Years like The Bevis Frond(forget the exact thread so now I need to hopefully find it again in a Search-I should have copied the Suggested Albums into an Email).

The other great aspect of this Forum(well not for my Financial Situation), is learning about early CD Pressings like Japan Black Triangle(or any Japan 1st Pressings) and WG Target CDs(or other WG 1st Pressings), DCC/AF(RIP), AP and MFSL Ultradisc.

Also, to learn as I get into Vinyl, who are the better Music Engineers(beyond out Host obviously), who Remaster Older Albums(or the best versions of the Earliest Pressings like those with Porky in the Deadwax), and for current Vinyl, which Pressing Plants to avoid, and although none of them seem perfect(maybe they are now getting over-worked), looks like Pallas is the best option, and hedge my bets with Optimal(Germany), RI(Netherlands), MPO(France), RTI(US) and maybe QRP(US). I think GZ has been putting out Flat/Clean Pressing recently despite the criticism I read about them in prior years(although my MUSE Vinyl Records from 2009 look good, so maybe got lucky with those Vinyl Records).

fenderesq likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea, me. ; )

GuyDon likes this.
  7. Michael

no, no, no...an old Fuh! : ) : )

wrappedinsky and fenderesq like this.
  8. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

I don't expect this place to mirror my tastes. That would be kind of boring if it did. I learn a lot here, find out about new records, and enjoy the debate.

The only thing I wish some folks would get over is this need to whine about the number of Beatles/McCartney threads. It's really not that hard to scroll past threads you're not interested in. I do it every day here. Here's how I do it: I. Scroll. Past.

P.S. Egypt Station is really good but you're not required to listen to it or chat about it. And if you're not interested in the album, why would it bother you that other people are? For instance, I just looked at the music forums and saw threads about Kiss, Zeppelin, and Zappa, none of which I am interested in. And that's fine.

9. Michael

No, never... many of my favs are loved by others here as well...I'm very comfortable, and I can check out "new" music when I see an artist I don't recognize...win, win! : )

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. fenderesq

As cranky as my initial post may have been; was understandably taken to be, I was not intentionally being negative to any individual and certainly not to The Forum generally. Certainly not. I have gotten a world of knowledge regarding artists I may have not known as well as specific recordings and pressings. I am thankful for those exchanges. I think it a responsibility; and take the responsibility seriously to give back to The Forum at least as much as I have received. And I always try to be open to all things new and old. I try. I sincerely try. It's draining being a grump and believe me when I say it's really not my thing. I was hipped to The Len Price 3 a few days ago and thankful for it. A recommendation of a band I never would have known.

11. fenderesq

Ah so

12. TheSeldomSeenKid

It's All Good Man(Saul Goodman)
    [​IMG]

13. Michael

: )

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm sure you're not alone but I, for one, have to disagree; I find pretty much an equal amount of viewpoints that match with mine well as those that do not; and more often than not, I find that there's something to be learned from the latter.

15. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i enjoy the forum a lot. i am viewing many times daily and post on a fairly regular basis.i think the most important fact here is that regardless of taste everyone here loves music(mainly rock) and takes it seriously. that to be is the most salient reason to enjoy this forum. i know that not all music i like will be represented here and that is ok.glad i discovered this forum that is for sure.

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I think you are alone. I’ve found that there are so many that have similar taste, while lots don’t, and that’s just great. Nope...it’s a mixed bag that contains articulate opinions and insights.

Love it.

17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I'm with you.

This forum is mostly baby boomers from the US and me being someone much younger and from the UK, there's a lot of difference. Sometimes it seems that anything past the 80s is considered too modern here.

Aside from that, Queen is my favourite group, and on social media / YouTube etc, they're regarded as one of the biggest and favourite groups worldwide, but on here, that people are even surprised at the very thought of that, so they often get dismissed, or not thought of as the same on this forum, or rubbished off. Whereas a group like The Grateful Dead (a group that doesn't appeal that much outside of the US) has massive long threads written about them.

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My music tastes are represented very well here and even though I'm a huge fan, I don't post too often on Beatles threads.

I like the threads that are about artists who don't get discussed much between fans elsewhere. The recent Bobbie Gentry thread has been excellent with positive and enthusiastic fans contributing. I found out about her recent box set here and ordered it almost straightaway. It's been great having AndyB, who mastered the set, posting here too.

I also have found the Peggy Lee threads informative and again full of positivity and incredibly well informed fans contributing. I enjoyed reading this as I built up a collection of her LPs and essential CDs. I recently got a rare Peggy CD box set very cheap because a member of those threads let me know about it. I found that thoughtful and am very grateful.

These threads have not descended into disagreements or arguments like ones on other, more popular, bands can do.

I also enjoy threads on T.Rex and other 70s glam rock, especially the less serious side of it!

rod likes this.
  19. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

A lot of the music I listen to is outside the mainstream and always has been. I value the threads and posts, as few as they are, which discuss say Indian music or Gamelan or Free Jazz or 1950’s electronic music to name a few. There are actually some eclectic listeners in these forums.

20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I'm an alien.

(but yeah, same thing, I get it)

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  21. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

...and three of the six are about The Monkees. One is about The Grateful Dead ( but it's quite big ). And two are about beer and cats...

D.D.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  22. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

So, I'm outta threads? Bummer...…..

Diamond Dog likes this.
  23. Diamond Dog

You should start one about drunken cats listening to The Grateful Dead. Could be a winner.

D.D.

24. Diamond Dog

The fact that my musical tastes are not representative of the Forum is to be applauded. It clearly demonstrates good taste and nice judgement on the part of the Forum.

D.D.

25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

If they're listening to The Dead, they're pobably not drunk. :p

keyse1 and Diamond Dog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.