Do you ever have times when music just doesn't work for you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident Thread Starter

The other evening I went int the music room (not what the trouble calls it) and put on a DCC vinyl version of Elton John's Greates Hits. My mind wandered before the end of track 1 so Itook it off and put on MoFi Highway 61 Revisited. Same thing. So next it was some Monk on vinyl. Still the same. More jazz with the same reults. I thought I'd try some serious music so on goes Albinoni. Still no good. Please note that in these situations I don't do anything else but listen.
    So I turned of the hifi and went into another room and watched a film with the mrs.
    This is not the first time this has happened to me. It occurs regularly maybe once a month and can be one evening or a few days.
    Does this happen to other people or is it me. I'm really interested as music, listening to, discussing and reading about is my main hobby.
    Dear agony aunt should I be worried:)

2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

No, it just means you need to buy more... :)

Andrew Russe, Sean, Ash76 and 5 others like this.
  3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I love my music but sometimes silence is golden....

Helmut, pinkrudy, kwf and 18 others like this.
  4. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

No you shouldn't be worried. It happens sometimes. Maybe it's something to do with the fact that when you/we listen to music we focus on it. I mean I find it almost impossible to have music as "background" I have to listen if it's on. Sometimes I take some time out and watch trash TV.

Just something random thoughts.

Dave and David Ellis like this.
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

You need to schedule a session with the following doctors, pronto:

Doctor Robert
    Dr. Love
    Dr. Feelgood
    Doctor Wu
    Doctor Jimmy
    Doctor Doctor
    Lady Doctor
    Doctor My Eyes

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Mr Sam, Skydogg, Sean and 13 others like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'll be glad to lend anyone my Olivia records if you fancy something new...

No, come back. That's just rude!

7. I have those days as well, but fortunately they aren't very common. Like you I just shut the system down at that point and do something else.

Dave and David Ellis like this.
  8. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

yeah, when I'm mixing our latest recordings.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

David Ellis and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

This happens to me somewhat frequently. Just an example of the music not clicking with the right mood.

Dave, Johnny Vinyl and David Ellis like this.
  10. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

Those are the times I just have to buy something new just for the spark of discovery.

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Or maybe even this one.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I've become a fan of podcasts dealing with both ancient and modern history. At first I would listen to one show a night and listen to music the other 5 hours. Nowadays I mostly listen exclusively to podcasts instead of music while working.

David Ellis likes this.
  13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Music is a powerful mind-altering drug, and drug problems like dose tolerance and overdosing apply. When the drugs don't work, more drugs is rarely the solution. Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This happens to me quite often. I use it to indulge myself in other loves, such as reading or movies.

Having said that, I have an illness. Falling out of love with music can be a sign that I've been doing something wrong (skipping pills, not sleeping properly, or other sundry things). This is obvious if I don't play ANY music in say, an entire week. Then I need to visit the doctor, or have a good review of how I'm living my life.

For most people, it's a frame of mind you have to be in.

Funnily enough, WHAT I listen to plays into it too. I recently bought a CD containing some Russian Avant Garde works, one track has 6 or 7 minutes or Russians talking, and they don't provide any translation. The point though is, I love the album, but its mood and ambiance changes how I feel. It's an very introspective work. And great for it.

I'd say I listen to some challenging works - and sometimes I need to clear the decks with some flat out rock say...... Tis all part of the journey.

bleachershane likes this.
  15. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

As much as I love music, I readily admit that it's not omnipotent. There are indeed times when even my biggest favourites fail to move me, and the whole idea of sitting down and just listening to this organized noise we call music seems utterly ridiculous.

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sometimes when I am stressed I don't want to hear it.

17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

When that happens I just go shopping for more records.

hiddman likes this.
  18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Sometimes. But then I regain consciousness and it's all back to normal.

19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I go through plenty of phases when I don`t listen to ANY music.I never try to force myself to get into it again,I can`t get into it if I`m trying too hard.I just wait until I feel like lisening to something and it`s fun again.Some reasons for me why I can`t listen to anything are stress,specifly lack of sleep,or just too many other non related things happening at the time.
    My enthusiasm always returns at some point when I`m not expecting it to.

20. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

This is very normal and no need for concern. We go through moods, etc.

Nick Dunning and Folknik like this.
  21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

If I get music fatigue, I watch Netflix until I get Portlandia fatigue.

I watched an episode, beginning of season 3, where a guy opens a recording studio and he keeps saying everything in it, instruments, mics, etc. is "like Pet Sounds". That immediately made me think of the folks who inhabit these pages.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  22. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I alternate between music and podcasts, but sometime I just need some quiet.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, stress is the great equalizer. When I'm particularly stressed, all I want is silence. No music helps.

DiabloG, David Ellis and Clanceman like this.
  24. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

Never......

25. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I'm happiest when I'm in a "phase" with a particular artist and obsessively listening and exploring to only that person's music until it just stops and I move onto a different one. I often go back to the same ones again and again over the years as I discover new ones to add into the rotations. The worst times are the periods in between when I'm not feeling particularly interested in any one artist and I don't feel like listening to music. I can't force it start up again, though, so I just go about my life, working, reading, family, until something like a new release or a music book or article sparks my interest and I'm back into it. I suppose I'd be worried if it never came back, but, then again, if I'm not interested, I'm not interested, so nothing beyond curiosity why a passion went away would make me really examine it. Maybe it's like falling out of love.

richarm, Guy E, mozz and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.