Do you feel any guilt about the cheapness of music these days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., May 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Right or wrong, YouTube is low bit-rate Mp3, 128kbps up to 166 kbps maximum, far below anything being sold as physical media today .... put simply, it is dog****.

YouTube actually helps sell albums to those who demand high-fidelity sound, in the same way free AM radio did way back when; as an advertisement to generate sales, not a source of great sound.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  2. Becoming an accomplished musical artist is hard work and it's great when it rewards you financially but people should not necessarily expect society to support them in style for indulging in their hobby. I certainly didn't make a living by just following my muse and I suspect most others didn't either.

chervokas, flako and Mathew like this.
  3. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

The larger the artist (and especially when I've actually owned the releases previously in some format or still do but can't access for some reason), the less guilt I'm likely to feel. However this is inversely proportional to the likelihood of the artist's albums actually being on Youtube, cause they biggies are the ones with the laywer, guns and money.

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I buy far less as a result of listening to YouTube. A great way to find out that you don't need it or don't like it.
    The sound quality on YouTube is fine going through the little speakers plugged into my computer while I work. I'll even download and burn an album (or compile something) if the going used price is too steep. Not being an audiophile with a high end system, the sound quality is great. A bit of guilt there but as others have said, the music industry screwed us for years, so **** 'em. Anyway, the stuff I might grab is by deceased or already filthy rich artists.

5. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

That's not what the discussion is.

What we have with music is an form of art that people love. You love it or else you wouldn't be here. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do the music thing as a performer for money only, however, SO many people want us to work "for the love of it", basically a beer and pizza at the end of the night depending on where you play. Where the hell do you go to work where the pay out at the end of the day is the equivalent of beer and pizza that ISN'T a sweat shop?

I've been very fortunate to have been in some very special situations that are professional and help me keep a roof over my head. I don't do it for the money. I do it because I love music and the feeling I get when I know I'm helping people get off emotionally through whatever it is that they are going through. We have the power to help the healing process and I do take it that seriously.

I didn't get in this to be a millionaire. I got in because I first wanted to be in the Beatles, but by 1985 that obviously wasn't happening because they were done and I was 6, but I wanted to do it because I saw and felt the response. It's real. It's tangible yet completely intangible.

I'm in the fight for the good guys. The creators. Those that want to REALLY get in the mix and help our fellow creators get their due so they can get a consistent roof over their heads. Or get health insurance. Food. Whatever.

I won't stand by and watch people profit off of our work while so many that I know, love, and work with suffer immensely.

SirMarc and polchik like this.
  6. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

If it bothers you that much, you can always pay for a Youtube Red subscription. Not only would it no longer be “free” but you wouldn’t have to deal with those pesky ads.

Although there are some changes being made with the subscription service...

YouTube’s streaming music service has begun to roll out

7. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

The free or low cost streaming music dies not sound as good as CD, much less vinyl. I use the streaming services to audition albums I am considering buying. If I like it enough for multiple listens, I buy the CD or vinyl.

coffeetime likes this.
  8. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

I love when people whine and moan about the evils of "streaming music" and then wax poetic about the radio.

starduster likes this.
  9. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I spend thousands each year on records and cd's from the big online retailers and Bandcamp, so I have no guilt problems listening to the occasional track on utube to see if I like something before I buy it. I more often than not buy the record and the cd of the same piece of work.

10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

at least when you play am radio you can crank it up....

11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yes, the guilt is all consuming. sometimes I find it difficult to go on living.

12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why are you unable to “crank it up” via YouTube? I have a feeling that a lot of these comments referencing YouTube’s garbage sound are from people listening to laptop speakers and such. Using even just a basic DAC and feeding the signal into one’s system should sound pretty decent. Undoubtedly better than an AM radio.

vegafleet, Mathew and the pope ondine like this.
  13. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Guilt-tripping music lovers is no way to rescue the profession of being a composer and musician. There is strength in numbers. Earlier generations of composers and musicians understood that and organized themselves accordingly. The unprecedented means of communication available today have the potential to make that easier to do than ever before. They have nothing to lose but their miniscule royalties.

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

hmmm that sounds too high tech for this ole geezer! but if you figured it out god bless ya son!

15. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

There's no way I'd throw away money on new music without checking it out on YouTube first, or Apple Music.
    There is a lot of garbage out there...and it's too easy to blindly throw cash away.

coffeetime likes this.
  16. flako

flako Forum Resident

I pay for two music subscription services: Napster and Youtube Red. Of course, YT is not just music as I use it mostly for videos. I think us fans should be conscientious of our choices and pay to the extent that we can.

17. Synthfreek

Come on...plugging an rca cable into a stereo is now considered high tech?

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  18. flako

flako Forum Resident

How can you listen to YT music on high-quality audio?

19. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

No guilt, because if I like it, I buy it.

20. Synthfreek

I load a video up of a song I want to hear and press play. I'm not too snooty to not enjoy it. How about you?

21. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

The cheapness of music these days?

22. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Sure, I spend time browsing music videos on YouTube with their crappy low bitrates. Artists not getting paid enough? Go ahead and remove them, I'll find something else to do with my time.

23. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

RCA!?!?
    But I got a MAGNAVOX!

ianuaditis and Synthfreek like this.
  24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The postman has brought me 7 new CD's so far this week. Do I ever listen on Youtube? You betcha. It's just part of the searching I do. I'd say most of the time I end up buying what I like, but I can't say always. And? I have finite resources - things have to available, and available at a price I can afford.

As an example, I found a CD by a vocalist I wanted - but it was released in 2003 and is now apparently hard to find. The cheapest I've seen is £70. Now, I want the music, but I'm not going to pay £70 for it. I found it on Youtube though. Do I feel bad about that? No.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  25. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Invariably I end up buying whatever I've just listened to so it's no cheaper for me and no guilt. What YouTube is really great for (in my opinion, etc.) is coming across rare concert footage that you never dreamed of seeing... :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.