Do You Hate Duets?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sonci, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It was part of a TV show broadcast, not a studio recording.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  2. tentimesblue

tentimesblue Active Member

Actually, I thought about this some more and perhaps some songs would be better as duets. This is from a session where Cilla just happened to be in the studio. I don't think it's in the Lewisohn book.

"Turn off your mind relax and float downstream"
    "Oh no, here we go again"
    "It is not dying it is not dying"
    "That's very nice John but what exactly?"
    "Lay down all thoughts surrender to the void"
    "Are you OK?"
    "It is shining it is shining"
    "Do you know what he means George?"
    "You may see the meaning of within"
    "No sorry, I meant the sensible George"
    "It is being it is being"
    "Are they seagulls?"

and so on.

3. Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin “I’ve been falling so long I thought I was flying”

Passion....

4. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

There's nothing like a good male/female duet in my opinion.

How can anybody possibly hate this.

starduster likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nah! Not for me.

6. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Gotta love duets

7. amcaudio

amcaudio Forum Resident

I only object to duets when they, like singing the american songbook, are a desperate attempt by an artist, who has lost inspiration, to help resuscitate a floundering career.

Jackson likes this.
  8. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

Using the word hate in discussions and polls about music is off putting to me. It's too strong a word and should be reserved for extreme situations. I dislike some musical things, don't care for, not for me, etc. As for duets, it depends, but I generally like good two part harmony. Were the Everly's a duet?

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I love duets!

kevinsinnott and notesofachord like this.
  10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

And the performance of it. "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' '' is a great song and the Righteous Brothers got it right the first time. 3 other duos who got it horribly wrong are: Hall and Oates, Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer (in Top Gun), and Neil Diamond and Dolly Parton.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Growing up in the late eighties and early nineties, I loved to hate the many rock-ballad duets that were big then, even though many of them were by artists I respected (i.e. Cher, Robin Zander, Amy Grant, etc.). But to every rule there is an exception, in this case a beautiful one:

12. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

The exact ones I was thinking of. Also, Paul and Artie. Oh, the Everly Brothers, too. My friend Paul, a record producer in the late 60s/70s used to seek out brother and sister groups, believing they had a special physical vocal chords that gave records a special quality.

I assume the reason for the question is there are duet marriages of convenience. Those are not satisfying, especially when you hear tales of two artists who don't even want to record together recording separately.

13. Porter and Dolly recorded separately for a time and they still sounded great.

14. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Ah yes, but I would still not consider them a marriage of convenience due to their fine history. Same with Simon and Garfunkel. I meant a few where they had not experience nor desire to ever work together and the label just ordered it. Again, I'm guessing.

15. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Pretty much nowadays....

The 60s were great though = Maclen

16. marke

marke Forum Resident

I voted that it depends on the song.

Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias- To All the Girls I've Loved Before is my least favorite duet song.
    But I like Bono and Maire Brennan/Clannad on In a Lifetime. That is spine-chilling stuff.
    Then sometimes I like artists on one song and not another. I like Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson's Say Say Say but dislike The Girl is Mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.