Do you have a memorable movie theater experience?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: Wow, that's like screening one of these movies on an airplane!

IMDb: Air Disaster Movies - a list by conc747-309-794264 »

2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Here's a new one (at least new to me). Lion started at 10:50am at the Angelika Movie Theater in Plano. As usually, there are at least ten minutes (if not 15) in previews. During the previews, the house lights are dimmed but not turned off. They do turn the house lights off when the movie proper starts.

So the movie proper starts. It is pitch black, but then quickly, not so much since there is collateral light from a daylight movie scene. A group of castaways -- excuse me, adult movie goers -- arrive late. They make their way up to he aisle behind where we are sitting. Again, there really is sufficient collateral light from the movie to be seated without disturbing movie goers.

BUT NO. One of the group pulls out his cellphone to demonstrate the "flashlight function".:doh: I'm thinking, "whatever," but also, slightly miffed at the lack of effort on his part.
    What next: someone using cellular GPS with voice command to find their sets?:confused:

GLENN and alexpop like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2004 when I saw a Disney movie. It was my first time seeing a movie and I couldn't sit still at all.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

During a dark moment, I had a latecomer actually try and sit ON me. No checking or touching the seat to see if it had a body in it. Just tried to plop down.

townsend likes this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

When I was young and stupid I enjoyed many crappy movies in the back of our $2 theater, doing our proto-version of RiffTrax.

And now that I'm older and stupid I got much enjoyment with my (older) kids and "Sausage Party". No more $2 admissions, but given the subject matter some laughing and commentary on the side was fun.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

In fairness to the guy with the cell phone flashlight, he may have had an eye condition that made seeing things in that low of a light difficult or impossible without the aid of the flashlight.

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

LOL. I bet you wouldn't have complained if the latecomer was Jennifer Lopez :D

Dudley Morris and mark renard like this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Are you kidding? Of course I would! With that butt she'd probably crush my leg bones. :)

PH416156 likes this.
  9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:laugh:

10. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Absolutely. When I was 18 a local theater had a midnight showing of " Led Zeppelin's - The Song remains the Same". We snuck in and drank a few cans of beer. Apparently others had done the same. I could hear empty cans rolling under the seats. By the way, the movie was awesome.

11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Saw the 1962 remake of The Phantom of the Opera at the Castro Theater in San Francisco. After that, I never sat under the chandelier again.

12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Get with the program. JLo is one of the most beautiful women in the world. Ask the media. Better yet, ask her. She'll show you her pout.

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

When I was in college we had a small theater on campus that showed all kinds of foreign and art house type films. It was free for students, so I went to see everything. I had actor friends in NYC that said I got to see films that he couldn't see even in NYC.

Once in a while they'd get something special that we had to pay a couple dollars to see. We were excited to see them list Apocalypse Now. I was told that it was Coppola's print, but who knows. The day before it opened they had the Dolby engineers in to calibrate the theater. We spoke to them and asked where to sit for the max experience and he pinpointed exact seats. It was sooooooo loud, almost too loud, but amazing.

Later that we week I went back with some female friends (one of whom would become my wife) they were all...chemically altered...when the tiger scene was coming up I prepared myself and when it jumped out of the jungle they all hit the floor.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Memorable alright.
    Some creep playing footsie.

15. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

:righton::righton::righton::righton:
    Much better than a boring multiplex at the local mall.:righton:

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I was trying to play footsie with some guy once but he was having none of it. Ruined my whole night.

17. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

I go to the movies 2-3 times a week since 2006, so I guess I have a few...

Theater on fire, old people grumping over erotic scenes, fights, couples doing immoral stuff (can't blame them), excited audiences, lame audiences, previews with the cast, celebrities attending the movie...

I remember seeing The Broken Circle Breakdown and being cheered at the end by some lady because I was crying and wanted to kill myself.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Cheered at?!

[​IMG]

"Oh yes honey, you cry! You cry like a son of a gun!"

19. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

"Cheered up" maybe ?

And she wasn't that old :laugh:

20. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

That sounds like a typical night at the Rocky Horror Picture Show... ;)

Plan9 likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: And now you know why I would never go to one of those!

22. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Why not....? They allowed umbrellas. ;)

23. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I saw "13 Ghosts" at an afternoon matinee when it was on rerelease in the late '60s ( was probably 8 or so) and complained to the usherette that I didn't get my "Illusion-O" viewers. She had no idea what I was talking about.

24. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Not what I would want J-Lo to show me.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I would have complained too!

Dudley Morris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.