Do you have a working Nintendo NES game system

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes indeed.

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

You can find modded top loaders with composite outputs on eBay from time to time. I bought one, and it works great.

bcaulf likes this.
  3. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Maybe the store I'm going to be purchasing my NES at will have some mods. I think the guy also has HDMI upscalers in stock, that would be a very worthy purchase I think. They might have RF, but isn't RF quality pretty terrible anyway?

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, RF is lousy- especially on modern TVs.

5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I think RF would look awful on an HDTV, it was good enough on a regular TV when I was a kid, though.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, on an old CRT it's okay. :)

7. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Thanks for the help guys! I'll be going to get it this weekend. I'm excited! :)

8. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

Please note though, that the cheapy HDMI upscalers do not upscale the image, it just allows you to plug your AV cables to the "upscaler" and connect to the TV. The image will not be improved in any way.

If you are real picky about the quality of the image, the Framemeister is your best best. This will actually upscale the image and make it look great. But, it is pricy (around $300-$400)

9. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I've heard of those...sorry but at that price I'd rather just use the A/V on my HD tv. :sigh:

10. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I still have a NES and several games. I haven't tried to play it in a long time though.

11. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I just played Ice Climber and Pinball yesterday!!!!!

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A lot of those early Black Box NES games are really great!

I used to love making crazy courses in Excitebike! :)

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Yeah they were very good, and fun to collect. I love their sleek and simple labels. One of these games, Gumshoe, was a favorite of mine, I thought it was a fun and very unique light gun game.

14. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I have fond from my NES which I bought at a discounted price, as it was on its way to be phased out, in 1990. Mine was a front loader, I think the top loader was never marketed in Europe. I remember having tons of fun with the three Mario games, Doctor Mario (a Tetris wanna-be) and even Duck Hunt.
    The Pal- speed down when playing on a Pal console (Pal 25 fps Vs. NTSC 30 fps) wasn't noticed on a NES, the games were not so fast, but I could notice it on later systems Like the SNES (my most loved game console of all time) and the Playstation (1).

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

These are the NES games I've got.... (the ones in bold are the ones I've beaten)

Adventure Island 3
    Batman
    Battletoads
    Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
    Cobra Triangle
    Contra
    Dragon Warrior
    Final Fantasy
    Ghosts 'n' Goblins
    Godzilla: Monster of Monsters
    Super Off-Road
    Kirby's Adventure
    The Legend of Zelda
    Lifeforce
    Mega Man 3
    Mega Man 4
    Mega Man 5
    NES Open Tournament Golf
    RC Pro-Am
    Robocop
    StarTropics
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    TMNT II: The Arcade Game
    TMNT III: The Manhattan Project
    Tetris
    Tiger-Heli
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
    Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II

16. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

You don't have the first Super Mario Bros.??? That came with the system back in the day along with Duck Hunt. I found a full system used at a Goodwill store here for $10. A local used book/CD shop carries the games as well. I'm still looking for Contra and a few others that I had as a kid.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, it came with some sets, but not all of them. You could at one point just buy the system itself without any games included.

18. Lownote30

Ahh okay. My original one came with the two games and the gun for Duck Hunt before they changed pieces of the gun controller to red (mine was different shades of grey). The system I have now is identical.

Texastoyz likes this.
  19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, that was the best set to buy, IMO. :) Both SMB and Duck Hunt are still a blast to play.

Lownote30 likes this.
  20. Lownote30

I remember being amazed at how accurate the aim was with the gun controller for Duck Hunt when I got it. It still works great on any TV (new or old!).

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

All this talk about Duck Hunt is giving me bad flashbacks...

DreadPikathulhu and Lownote30 like this.
  22. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yeah, I had one of the sets that didn't come with any games.... my parents bought it for me for Xmas one year and gave me SMB2 and TMNT to go with it. :)

Lownote30 likes this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay, so how soon after starting TMNT did you throw your controller at the screen in frustration? :)

Rocker likes this.
  25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It was definitely a tough one! ;) I think that might've been the NES game that took me the longest to beat (about 2 months), but eventually, after much persistence, I did finish it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.