Do you have a working Nintendo NES game system

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I was in a pawn shop today and they had two copies of A Link to the Past... one without the box (cartridge only), and one with the original box.

The cartridge-only copy was $45.
    The boxed copy was $245.

I couldn't believe my eyes! :eek:

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Geez, even in Canadian dollars that's crazy! Boxed (or even sealed) A Link To The Pasts are not anywhere near that valuable.

3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm wondering if there's some kind of nostalgic SNES craze going on right now... the clerk said that lately he hasn't been able to keep SNES consoles in stock; apparently they sell out almost immediately after they're put out on the shelf.... but he said last year at this time he had 40 or 50 of them in stock. I was looking for one myself this weekend, and I had to call about 5 different pawn shops before I found one... and even that was just dumb luck, because apparently they had just put it out on the shelf.
    :shrug:

4. latedep31

latedep31 Forum Resident

The SNES is the hot console at the moment. I have a friend who owns a game store, and every time he gets a SNES traded in, it's gone almost immediately.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm not very surprised. There are so many great games for it and always new gamers discovering it. :)

6. latedep31

latedep31 Forum Resident

I'm not either. It's my all-time favorite console, so much that I paid $150 for Earthbound (which is now about $50-75 MORE than what I paid for it! :eek:)

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That's supposed to be a really great RPG!

8. latedep31

latedep31 Forum Resident

Probably my favorite video game ever. The cartoony graphics seem to turn some people off of it, but the soundtrack is top notch.

I'm not much of an RPG fan, but this game and Super Mario RPG (another game that can be pricey, but not nearly as much as Earthbound) are great games I can pick up and play at any time.

9. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I got my NES last weekend and am enjoying it. Next up will be the SNES!

10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Earthbound recently came out for the 3DS in the Nintendo App Store. It's pretty good.

I picked up most of my consoles (NES, SNES, TG-16, Jaguar, Saturn, Dreamcast, Sega CD) soon after a newer console was announced and they became obsolete and could be picked up cheap.

marblesmike likes this.
  11. turneraz

turneraz New Member

my nes died on me over the holidays. i bought the retro-bit console on amazon and have enjoyed it.

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

If you think that's bad... yesterday I was in a different store that sells used games, and they had a cartridge-only (no box!) copy of Earthbound marked at $314.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:faint:

14. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I miss my Sega Saturn

15. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

Yea, SNES collecting has gotten really expensive the past few years. The average price for complete in box games (for the popular ones, ie, Super Metroid, Zelda, Castlevania, Super Mario RPG, etc) is around $150 - $200. What I've been doing is buying reproduction boxes for my loose games (I'm kinda anal about that stuff, I like boxes for all my games). I'll buy a loose game, then buy a reproduction box for $20 that looks very close to the original. Then, I'll try and find a manual on Ebay to complete it.

16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I like having the boxes and manuals for my games too, but they're 1) so hard to find, and 2) so expensive these days that I try not to worry about it and just enjoy playing the games if/when I'm able to find a copy. Having said that, even the unboxed (cartridge-only) copies of most SNES games on my list seem to be in the $50-$100 range, which is a lot more than I want to be paying for games that are 25+ years old. :sigh:

17. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Which are some of the games on your list?

I love my SNES and NES almost equally.

18. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

How exactly did it die? What does it do/not do?

19. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

The stupid thing is, is that they are not rare. I mean, Link to the Past sold over 4 million copies!! Why does it still sell for $50 for a loose copy?? Ugh, frustrating.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

One of my favorite SNES games is Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures. You get to guide Pac-Man around and you have to make sure he stays happy or else he gets all mad and sulky and doesn't do what you tell him to. heh...

21. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

That's a fun game, but it's definitely polarizing among Pac fans. Ms. Pacman is a hidden unlockable in the Snes version, but the Sega Genesis version has an unlockable of an exclusive game called Pac-Jr which is actually different from Jr Pacman. I'm not sure that it exists anywhere else.

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes, Pac-Man Jr. is exclusive to that Sega Genesis Ms. Pac-Man game. :)

23. marblesmike

Because Zelda is the kind of franchise that has "fanboys" (I'm one of them) who won't sell the game when they're done with it.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So what? It's not a rare game at all. Let them keep their copies. That doesn't make the game valuable in the least given how many were produced.

25. marblesmike

Current value has to do with current availability, not how many were originally produced. Supply and demand. Right now the demand is higher than the supply.

supermd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.