Do you have a working Nintendo NES game system

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Could be wrong, but I think it's fairly simple to replace the batteries with the right tools.

2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

This mini NES is going to be a HUGE seller for the holidays, I bet. It's the same cost as one new game for the current generation of gaming systems. I already have a good chunk of the games on it but wouldn't mind picking one up!

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

There are videos on Youtube on how to replace the batteries.

4. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I suspect it'll be like printing money for Nintendo this holiday season. There's been a bazillion third party knockoff systems on the market, but it's nice to have something official even if you're limited to the games it comes with.

I already have many of the games myself, but I just like the idea of having something simple that connects to modern televisions so easily.

driverdrummer likes this.
  5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I see you over there on the other side of the boat. This is my exact scenario, and it's worth $60 to play a bunch of old NES games without the hassle of trying to get it to work well with an HDMI-connected TV.

I really wish they had thought about expansion on this thing, though. If they could have created some kind of expansion slot, and then come up with future "add-on packs," that could have been something awesome. Every year they release an expansion pack for $30-40 that has 15-20 additional games on it.

If they created this as a one-off nostalgia thing, I think they missed a big opportunity. Since I'll be getting it anyway, though, I suppose it worked.

ladycat, Stormrider77 and mj_patrick like this.
  6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

On the one hand, I agree. They could've stuck a USB port on it and sold expansion packs on flash drives.

On the other hand, that would've made it way easier to hack. People would've found a way to slap the entire NES library on a USB drive via illegally downloaded ROMs.

7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yep, I totally get it. I don't know how they could have done expansion packs without making them easier to hack. At this point in time, though, would it be worth the trouble to hack 30-year-old games if Nintendo are selling them for an average of $2 each? I know I'd rather have the licensed goods if they're that cheap.

8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Same. But there's a not-small contingent of people out there who are too cheap to pay even $2 per game.

That, and Nintendo always has been/always will be paranoid about piracy.

9. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

If the little cartridge slot on the model opened and had a little connector, they could make small NES cartridge shaped expansion packs, making them harder to hack.

marblesmike and jriems like this.
  10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I love it. How cool would that have been?

bcaulf and marblesmike like this.
  11. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I suppose an alternative to Nintendo making the new 30-game retro device expandable would be to simply release a "Classic Mini 2" with 30 more games. Assuming this thing is in the $60 range give or take, I would imagine someone would pay $60 for *another* 30 games if chosen well. $2 per game isn't that bad. The drawback of course would be not being able to pick the games, and of course the bulk of switching "systems" (though they appear to be pretty tiny).

I would have to imagine that if the first one is successful, they'll do a "Mini 2" with perhaps different colors (or one that looks like the old Japan Famicom or something). They could also branch off and do a "Sports" system, and other themed systems.

There are of course other obvious possibilities, like a "Super NES Mini."

I own some of these old games on the old Wii Virtual Console, but this new "Mini" will probably get me into it even more.

12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Imagine doing those "theme" expansion packs like you just mentioned, but in the format that bcaulf mentioned. That would have kicked some butt. With expansion packs, they could always mix and match and re-shuffle games on different packs. They could also do themed packs based on games and their sequels - a Mega Man pack, a Mario Bros. pack, a Ninja Gaiden pack, etc.

So many possibilities, that I'm confused why they went the route they did - unless it was planned as a one-off from the beginning. If they do release additional Minis moving forward, that would get cumbersome and confusing for people. Which games are on which Mini again? That kind of thing.

It's all just speculation for now, but even just discussing what-ifs here in this thread, I think we've come up with some awesome ideas - did Nintendo?

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Cool idea but probably not worth the trouble/cost for Nintendo of manufacturing the "carts" in a format that could block piracy.

14. mep

mep Forum Resident

Got mine today; I pre-ordered it directly back in July. Here in Germany you had literally only a few hours till it went out of stock on amazon. And the ebay - prices are skyrocking right now. Bizarre. Wanted to get a second controller; the original price for those were 10€. You cannot get them anywhere right now; only through Third-Party-Sellers. They want arount 100€ for one right now. Unbelievable...

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I can't find the link right now, but I read Nintendo is going to manufacture more and in a few days sellers such Amazon, selling it for €60, will have the mini NES in stock again.
    Some clowns on AmazonUK, who obviously got a copy for much less, want £160. My advice is to have some patience and wait. I guess Nintendo underestimated the demand for this little gem.

edit: this is the source: Business Insider UK

Don't panic: Nintendo just promised to make more of its new $60 console before the holidays »

16. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I think it's more along the lines of Nintendo wanted to build up the demand for it, and so the initial launch they sent out very few to retailers. I've heard that stores only got 5-10 of them apiece. That's ridiculous, considering I don't imagine that it's that hard to build the thing. However, they may have built up the hype for the holiday season.

17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I have a working NES, though its as finicky as we all remember. A top loader would be ideal. Although honestly I have more nostalgia for the old Atari systems than I do NES. If we're talking about SUPER Nintendo, then I'm on board, and have two working SNES systems and a few highly sought after and expensive games.

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Do you have any Wii Classic Controllers? Those work too.

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The used CD/DVD store where I buy most of my stuff has always sold video games in addition to music & movies, but their video game selection was limited to "modern" consoles where the games are in disc format (Xbox, PlayStation, etc). However, in a very welcome move, they've recently started accepting games for 3 older Nintendo consoles as well: NES, SuperNES, and N64. Maybe now I'll have a better chance of finding some of those old games I was looking for, but at more reasonable prices! :)

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Reasonable prices" on "collectible" classic video games at a used media store?

:laugh:

Yeah, good luck there...

Stormrider77 likes this.
  21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I can hope, can't I? ;)

I'll report back if/when they get any of the more sought-after titles in stock... I'm curious to see what kind of prices they'll be asking. Surely it couldn't be any worse than those other stores I was perusing last summer who were charging between $75-100 for most of the games I wanted.... :sigh:

22. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

What does the Japanese have to make it special?

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

24. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

The article posted below your comment should explain but for starters the Famicom is just so COOL! Japan also got more games, or at least they got some really good ones that weren't released here.

25. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I have the "old"nes64 sitting some where, and the original nientendo game system with duck hunt in a box some where, fun games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.