Do you have a working Nintendo NES game system

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latedep31

latedep31 Forum Resident

Also, the Japanese Mega Man (Rockman) games are cheaper than their American counterparts (except for the 1st game; the Japanese version is fairly expensive ($50+) but still about 10-15 dollars cheaper than the US copies.)

2. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I've bought a NES Nintendo Classic Mini. I know it's not the real thing but I love it. Games are exactely as I remembered them but faster as my original NES was PAL and the NES mini is 720p @ 60 Hz regardless of where is bought.
    By the way, the NES Classic Mini can be ''modded'' so one can load more games on the console as there is plenty of space.

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I have one. It worked when I last used it, which was 15 years ago. I only have the Dragon Warrior and Destiny of an Empire games.

4. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Yes. I was hardcore into collecting for it a few years ago. I have a few boxed games but quickly realized it wasnt for me

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

As you old-school gaming fans may know, playing any of the old retro consoles on modern HDTVs results in a less-than perfect picture. The games are still totally playable, but the picture quality isn't as sharp as it could be. So I have a couple questions:

1) What additional cable(s) will I need to hook up an NES, Super NES, and PS2 to my HDTV? Is there one type of cable that will work for all 3 of those systems?

2) Are those cables still available in any stores, or will I have to get them from Amazon/Ebay?

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This article lays out your options. :)

Retro Systems On An HDTV - How To Hook Up Your NES, SNES, N64 or Other Retro System

I have heard good things about the Framemiester.

RetroRGB - Upscalers

7. latedep31

latedep31 Forum Resident

This is why if you play retro games, keep a CRT (if you have room of course. :))

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, but the NES upscaled to HD looks really great. :)

9. EddieVanHalen

The NES Mini Classic outputs 1280x720p HD and it looks great.

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Based on the titles that have shown up so far, their prices do seem to be more reasonable.... I've seen games listed on their website anywhere from $10 to $50, which is considerably lower than any of the actual "retro gaming" stores around here. I picked up a few SNES games from them last weekend, and since it happened to be Record Store Day, I also got 30% off the listed price. :)

11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

What games did you get?

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Super Mario All-Stars, Donkey Kong Country 2, Desert Strike, and Battletoads Double Dragon.

The Hud likes this.
  13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Perhaps, but I'd rather not have to sell my car in order to buy one.

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh come on, where are your priorities, man?!

:)

15. EddieVanHalen

I didn't. I was on a slimming diet and walked 15 kilometers everyday. I had two routes, one by the beach and a second one that took to a shopping mall. One of the days took the mall one I got into Mediamarkt (the German most famous electronics and electric appliances retailer in Europe) and there was one at retail price, 60 €. Needless to say I bought it and didn't re-selled it, I love the gadget.

16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have a NES somewhere at me parent's house.
    What I really want is a Nintendo classic at a reasonable price.

17. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

So, I (actually, my wife) was able to score an NES Classic on Friday, more than likely one of the last shipments they will get (if not the last). I have to say, it's pretty cute! Although, as has been noted numerous times before, the cord length sucks big time. And, it isn't quite the same playing the games on an HD TV, as it was on an old TV with RF switch and crackling speakers. Still, to put 30 games on a system and have it be about the size of a DS is impressive. It's insane to me that Nintendo would quit making this (I know the official line, that they're only concentrating on the Switch, and the Classic was only going to be a holiday gift, but come on. It's a money maker!) Bring on the SNES Classic rumored for this year!

18. EddieVanHalen

You think it's impresive that a console of this size can fit 30 inside? I have around 350 inside of my Nintendo Classic Mini without hardware modification. There are mods to add more games and you know how to get the games.
    The Nintendo Classic Mini is no more than a mini Linux computer running a NES emulator and it's powerful enough to emulate the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis, I know it because I've seen it and played Super Mario World and Sonic, running their respective emulators, and they work flawlessly.
    If Nintendo finally releases the Super Nintendo Classic Mini they don't need to change the hardware, 'though they may do it so potential customers don't feel ripped of, just case the hardware in a reduced Super Nintendo shaped case.
    I haven't modded mine to play Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis as I don't want to change the ''personality'' of my Nintendo Classic Mini, change its purpose and feeling.
    If a Super Nintendo Classic Mini is released I'll buy it without thinking it twice. Games of my childhood and my teens that I thought gone forever are back and I trully like that.

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I also just snagged a copy of Super Metroid for considerably cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else. :)

They've had a few SNES games show up in stock recently, though, that have been incredibly expensive. A copy of Mega Man 7 was listed at $200... I had no idea it was even a rare or highly sought-after title. A game called Ogre Battle (which I've never heard of) was listed at $140. And a copy of Chrono Trigger was $100, although I know that's one particular game that's always expensive, no matter where you look.

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No. I'm all about emulators. The filters and higher resolution makes everything look much nicer, save points are available anywhere, games will load every time, and I can play with a wireless Xbox 360 controller. :)

21. The Hud

Nice grab on Super Metroid!

I don't think Mega Man 7 is even that good of a game, but it is rare. I have never played Ogre Battle, but I have read reviews that say it is very good. Doubt it is worth $140, though. These retro game prices get pretty crazy. I would like to get Zelda Link to the Past, but the going rate around here is $50--which isn't too bad, but I have it on my Wii, Wii U, and New 3DS.

22. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

A lot of times, "Earthbound" is one that is priced ridiculously high, like 250 bucks or so.

"A Link To The Past" is my favorite Zelda game. In fact, I've been playing it on my old SNES the last couple of weeks!

The Hud likes this.
  23. latedep31

latedep31 Forum Resident

This is why I've been importing the Japanese versions of some games, like Mega Man 7. $25 compared to $200 for that one.

24. The Hud

I downloaded Earthbound on my Wii U, and it is pretty good, but I wouldn't pay what the physical game goes for, I am not that big a fan.

Grunge Master likes this.
  25. The Hud

I bought the Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the PS2 for $20 and got Mega Man 1-7 on it. It is a little weird playing on a PS2, though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.