Do you keep shrinkwrap on your vinyl purchases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richbdd01, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I leave it on until I've played the record and know it's not a noisy, warped, scratched, pocked, etc. POS that needs to be returned. As soon as Side 2 is safely done, off goes the shrinkwrap.

2. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Same here

Skydogg likes this.
  3. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

If it's got a cool sticker on it I might leave it on. I don't like the way records look with shrink wrap or plastic protectors on them.

4. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

If it comes in a loose wrap I will, but otherwise I toss it and slip it into a protective sleeve.

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Me too, never had a problem.

dalem5467, Devon, ted321 and 3 others like this.
  6. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

It's Vinyl not Vinyls.

Devon, I333I, Skydogg and 6 others like this.
  7. phish

phish Jack Your Body

thanksnothanks.

dalem5467 and BeardedSteven like this.
  8. I always keep the wrap on unless its really dirty or about to fall off.

Devon likes this.
  9. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I may have bought records from you before :laugh:

MKHopkins and KevinP like this.
  10. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

When we were teenagers, we used to make fun of people who did that. It was something our parents did.

Yeah, I do it now.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  11. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

BTW, wouldn't warping only be an issue if the LP was still sealed? Once you've cut a slit to remove the LP, the pressure's been released and I don't see how the shrinkwrap would cause warping.

I333I, ted321 and richbdd01 like this.
  12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This is fascinating stuff.

[​IMG]

Devon, AJK74, SquaRoots and 5 others like this.
  13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...and then I still leave it on.;)

Devon, Larry Loves LPs and richbdd01 like this.
  14. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

But a lot of people buy records to play,not to worry about how much it's worth in the market.
    And my experience differs in that shrink wrap has warped the cover of albums I own. Usually because they are tightly wrapped.
    I now discard any shrink wrap of albums purchased.
    A freshly added new outer will protect the record just fine.

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's the first i ever heard that aswell :eek:

16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

This.

funknik and rstamberg like this.
  17. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

It's part of the packaging for me, so yes I've always tried to keep the album in the shrinkwrap.

Gatefolds, of course, are a different matter. Sometimes I can keep it on and just take it off when enjoying the artwork and then put it back, but sometimes that just doesn't work out. But that's what two copies are for! :)

forthlin likes this.
  18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For me its worth is secondary to keeping the cover nice whether you keep it in shrink or buy a protector...although it's an added bonus!

19. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Not treating all purchases as investments is bad money management. We all buy to keep and love our music, but there are thrift stores, garage sales, and used music stores filled with used LPs and CDs that were presumably purchased with the same philosophy in mind. Its naive to think that its not important to treat your music as an investment. Do you look after your music and store it safely? if so, why? Because its an investment and you don't want it damaged, and you don't want to have to buy it again. You are protecting your investment because on some level it has value and you are trying to preserve it. So, I'm not buying what your saying, but it does have that higher purpose ring to it. Not sure what you are doing, but I've been at this for 40 years with no issues of cover warpage.

Revolver and MKHopkins like this.
  20. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Well I'm just guessing here, but I really don't see how slitted shrinkwrap could cause warpage.

That said, I don't really see how sealed shrinkwrap cause cause warping by itself. I can see it as a contributing factor, but the LP would still have to be stored improperly.

Devon and richbdd01 like this.
  21. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Likewise.

hi_watt likes this.
  22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

If it's not a gatefold, I do keep it in the shrink.

23. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I refuse to coddle my vinyls. Shrinkwrap is off and in the trash after purchase - along with hype sticker, obi, or any other related nonsense. Album jackets are expected to do their job, which is to protect its contents. Outer liners are not allowed in my house.

24. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

It depends. If the shrink is tight I take it off and save any stickers. Otherwise I try to keep it. It's a pain to keep the shrink on double LPs and some gatefold covers so I'm probably going to remove the shrink and keep any stickers.

25. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

As much as I like leaving it on because of hype stickers and possible increased value, I've had shrinkwrap take a little of the paint off of an LP cover if it's been pressed against the cover strongly and has been exposed to humidity. With newer LPs that have paper thin covers, such as Beck's Morning Phase, I've also had it warp the LP cover pretty badly--in such cases, I take the shrinkwrap off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.