do you listen to music when you fall asleep?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by the pope ondine, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident Thread Starter

its a tradition for me. I have to listen to something to ease me into golden slumber. I usually click the off button as I dose off. To really zone out I pick instrumental jazz (CTI jazz is great for this letting the mind drift) Sometimes ill play foreign music (French, Brazilian, etc.) so I cant focus on the lyrics too much What say you fellow SHM people?

johnaltman likes this.
  2. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

I usually put on field recordings of melodic, progressive rain storms, light winds through conifers, surf breaking on odd-shaped jetty, w/distant boat horn, or the warm buzz of gently malfunctioning power lines to calm the mind and relax the muscles before bed.

3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I used to put on a cassette when I went to sleep in high school. Amazing how I know the first two songs on so many different sides of albums so well.....and then we get to tracks 3 & 4 and I swear I have never heard them!!!

4. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

all the time. there was a long period where I put on In a Silent Way every night to go to sleep

davesmoked and Wordnat like this.
  5. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

My record player is manual and it's in the living room, so no....

audiomixer likes this.
  6. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Every night for years. I find if I go to bed in silence I have a difficult time falling asleep as thoughts from the day or things I need to tend to the following day infiltrate my mind. If I put music on of any kind and focus on that, I'm down for the count by the second or third song.

porpoise mouth likes this.
  7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Rarely. Mostly if I sit in a chair and doze off.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Nope, can't do it...I stay awake listening you see.

I need absolute silence in order to fall asleep, always have.

9. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

In younger years gone by when I was in a "mellow" mood Miles Davis' Kind of Blue would always hit the spot. A cassette tape, as the turntable did not have auto-return. Can't do that now with Mrs.Querty in my life. She has woken to the sound of me untying a shoelace in slow motion (super-sensitive hearing at night).

SixtiesGuy and L.P. like this.
  10. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

Almost every night except when I'm away from home - with headphones. I also typically don't get past the 3rd track due to falling asleep. So if it's an album that I am really liking, I'll start in where I left off on the next night until I get through the album.

11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Going off-topic here, hope you don't mind:

Exile, try having a pen+paper by your bed, and write down things that come into your mind that need attending to the next day (don't turn on a bright light to do this). This way, you won't have to try to put effort into remembering (which can keep you awake). After you write it down say to yourself "What I needed to remember is now written down so I won't forget it. Now I can go to sleep".

chef0069 likes this.
  12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Sometimes I'll listen to a Classical music radio (love WQXR!) station but more often than not I listen to a podcast or talk radio of some kind to help me get to sleep.

Calling All Stations likes this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I really like Pink Floyd's 'The Endless River' as great music to fall asleep to, as very relaxing, although a lot of times I let the entire album finish before I go to sleep, so keeps me up later than I should be.

PhoffiFozz and davesmoked like this.
  14. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

What I listen to as I fall asleep is called Tinnitus.

15. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Same here

crp207, PhoffiFozz and Kim Olesen like this.
  16. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

When I was little I had a ghetto blaster with some home made tapes, some with flamenco and acoustic guitar, another with Rickie Lee Jones and plenty of cassettes borrowed from the local library. Got my old man's CD player when I was about 10 and started falling asleep to The Beatles' 1, a 2CD Rod Stewart best-of and various VA stuff.

In later years I began to listen to music just before I went to sleep, occasionally I would wake up with music still playing. The thing where you're drifting in and out of sleep while listening to music, either music you've never heard before or music you love to bits is always wonderful. I find I get into a lot of music that way.

Yesterday I got an old Sony boombox that's been in my family for a long while. It still plays perfectly and even has a tape deck. I now have it next to my bed and expect to use it for falling asleep.

17. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Every single night.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Most music distracts me too much for it to help me fall asleep. If I put an album on I'll find myself listening to the music attentively which prevents me from getting to sleep. :) It has to be very soft music and on some kind of Sleep Timer so it goes off in about 20 minutes.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Yes. Can't fall asleep without. And my wife isn't bothered by it.
    Often it's my 1200 or so big Beatles collection on random play. If not, it's my entire iPod on shuffle. Only thing is i can't fall asleep to music i don't know reasonably well. I am a musician so if it's something i don't know then my brain starts working the chords out etc....

20. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I did at home in my 20's - on my discman by my bed - but now I have screaming babies/children to listen out for... I do ALL my listening on my commute these days but I do regularly still fall asleep to it :)

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I did in the '80s when I had a Walkman, but not anymore.

22. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Local FM Classical station, 20 minute sleep timer...and I rarely hear it go off...

bluejeanbaby and djost like this.
  23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I sleep with something on all night. It used to be music a lot more, but now usually the TV or sports talk radio.

If music, usually Brian Eno's Music for Airports.

chef0069 likes this.
  24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I can fall asleep to almost any music as it relaxes me. The last time it was the Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray"!

25. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I usually read w/cans on every night and find myself falling to sleep. I don't listen to it very loud or with loud music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.