Do You Love Receivers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Well, do you? :-popcorn:

And for bonus points, post pics of either...

a) The ugliest receiver of all-time.
    b) The most beautifulest receiver of all time.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Nah, not at all. First, from a practical standpoint, the radio doesn't get so much use. For example, even after going to separates years ago, I sold my tuner quite a few years ago. Then there is a quality perspective. I moved from receivers to integrated amps for quality reasons, sonics mostly. Then on to separates for better sonics and build, and flexibility.

Further, receivers are a PITA for servicing and they limit the system by combining too many functions in one package. It restricts what quality level each of its sections can have due to compromises made in design and mfg, and it limits the users ability to upgrade as it is all tied together and requires a major shift in investment or you have redundancy.

I still have a soft spot for some of my favorite old pieces but it's purely nostalgic and I wouldn't wish them on anyone who eventually wanted to reach the best sound possible for them.
    -Bill

3. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Receivers were never much of a thing over here, like the manufacturers did offer them modified for UK/Europe but most people bought a separate tuner and amplifier for a variety of reasons such as limitations on absolute power available, radio types wanting more than a standard stock of tuner features such as long as well as medium wave plus modes to help with distant fm stereo reception.
    [​IMG]
    I always like the aesthetics of this the B&O Beomaster 3000 receiver made in Denmark that does have presets.

Agitater, head_unit and hifisoup like this.
  4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The receivers of the 60's thru 70's era were the most mainstream of hi audio products, and among the most visually appealing. The late 70's early 80's inflation problem forced the companies to keep prices competitive, so they cut back on the cosmetics, more plastic, less glass and metal.

abescan, apesfan and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  5. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I had a forty year love affair with them until the quality of radio made me look at them as partially crippled.I don't listen to FM anymore for years now.But receivers are still useful as pre amp, phono stage and aux.

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Nostalgic love for me. Here's a pic of the receiver I owned, and loved.
    [​IMG]

Bought it when I was on my own back in mid 70s.

7. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I have one that I use, pretty much exclusively, with a Bluesound Node. The radio is for the pretty lights. And for, you know, after the apocalypse when the Internet will be down. It was a bear to get it serviced properly, and I would opt for an integrated amp from Fisher or Scott if I had to to it all over. Oh, and I'd get one of those hand-cranked portable radios for, you know....

[​IMG]

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Purely nostalgia here. Radio used to be better in terms of music, but since I really only listen to radio with any regularity for talk and sports anymore, and most of that can just be streamed, I don’t have much use for the tuner. I used to think I needed surround for video sound, and therefore an AVR, but because our current space is not conducive to the speaker placement required and because I decided to focus on 2-channel, I don’t need a receiver for that purpose, either. I think you get better amplifier quality for your money, as well as more focused design, with an integrated amp or separates, so I don’t see myself choosing a receiver in the future.

However, I grew up with the look and feel of receivers, and it did take a minor amount of internal struggle to give up the radio, despite what I just said.

9. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I still use a receiver for my turntable and listening to FM radio. My current one is a Kenwood KR 3600, works fine for my small apartment listening space. I've also got an 80s JVC receiver in the living room that I use for background noise, usually just FM radio or sometimes I connect my iPhone to it and play spotify on it.

[​IMG]
    My absolute favorite receiver ever, the Harman/Kardon 730! Dual mono block, with two separate power transformers and power amplifier boards, not to mention one of the classiest, sleekest designs of the 70s

10. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Ugh! No. Separates for me every time.

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

Love my restored, mint, 500c. Would never sell it. Ever. In fact I even am going to be moving it to a dining room sideboard where I’m going to pair it with some small stand mounts and a Bluesound Node 2

12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I never wanted one, but always loved the classic looks, though I do think the old integrated looked even better. I succumbed awhile back and bought a Bogen RP230 and a Marantz 2220b just to see, and didn't enjoy either. Far more trouble than they were worth.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I have an affection for them and I have three that are in regular use;

Pioneer SX-880;

[​IMG]

Kenwood KW-60;

[​IMG]

Sansui 2000X;

[​IMG]

Bobsblkwax, Ezd, The FRiNgE and 2 others like this.
  14. mbrewer566

mbrewer566 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing a lot of alternative to combine multi-channel video and SACD without going totally separate. Top end receivers (I have Yamaha RX-A3070) have very good specs and power. What would be the alternative to have a top system and still get multi-channel benefit? Note, I find myself even playing stereo from the TT on 9 channel stereo for a full room filling sound (my front, surround, and rear speakers are all full size floor standing speakers).

15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, that’s a fantastic use for a good-looking old receiver like that!

russk likes this.
  16. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Never owned one. The closest I came was an integrated Kenwood back in the '70's. But boy I think the receivers from the '70's are sexy looking with their lighting and signal strength meters. And if they had a wooden cabinet wow! Always liked the looks. A lot of my friends back then had Pioneers, Marantz's and H.K's.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  17. Anton D

Anton D Forum Resident

I love vintage receivers. I think the old Yamahas look sublime.

[​IMG]

18. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Spinal fusion surgery?

ScottRiqui likes this.
  19. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas Forum Resident

20. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Honestly, I like them but I really have no desire to listen to a radio anymore so a receiver makes no sense to me. Beyond that, integrated or separates fill the bill perfectly. I really do like the looks of the 70's Pioneer and Marantz receivers though.

21. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

I prefer separates. Receivers just aren't my cup of tea.

22. dsf

dsf Well-Known Member

I still listen to FM so I'm happy with my HK3490. Plenty of power to drive my Infinity 363s and a decent phono amp for my REGA Planar 3 and carbon cartridge. I owned NAD separates in the 80s and 90s but this rig sounds pretty close without taking up the space and power plugs. If anything I miss my DCM Time Windows more than any of my separate electronics.

23. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Bruno Primas likes this.
  24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They were some of the best sounding too. I gave my dad a nice Yamaha like that, a CR-1020 which was an 80w beast. It wasn't used much after I gave it to him and I bet it has sat untouched now for over 10 years.

I had a 30w Pioneer SX-680 when I was much younger, which I loved.
    -Bill

Wally Swift likes this.
  25. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Just curious. Are there any new receivers out there that rival decent pre/amp combos?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.