Do You Love The Beach Boys?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veronica James, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I had trouble getting into Pet Sounds in mono even though everyone said that's how it was meant to be heard because Brian had only one good ear etc. etc. I only 'get it' now that I can hear the whole thing in decent stereo from the deluxe multi-disc set.

It's still not in my all-time favorite albums list but it definitely communicates a lot. I'm curious though, are people who cite this album as the great masterwork of the Beach Boys into albums by The Three Suns or other relatively square/sophisticated lounge or vocal acts of the '50s and very early '60s? That's what Pet Sounds most always makes me think of as opposed to the earlier Chuck Berry-based rock (on which Carl and David did shred dudes)?

Veronica James likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes and triple yes.

3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Yes!

The Beach Boys are my all time favorite.

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

i love hearing the 'love' for this group in this thread. hope it doesn't get railroaded by ignorant negativity.
    It's ok not to like a group for whatever reasons, but hope it doesn't become abusive or a new 'hate Mike Love' thread.

5. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

6. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field

This book in particular changed my life. I wanted to be Brian Wilson. Began writing songs.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like quite a few of their songs, some of them a lot. That's as far as I will go, for any musical act.

8. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

I can honestly say that, ever since I was a kid, The Beach Boys have made my life better.
    Yeah, love 'em.

"Good or bad, glad or sad ...it's all gonna pass.
    So it's ok, let's go play and enjoy while it lasts."

Jayne and Sammy Banderas like this.
  9. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I saw the Beach Boys Mike and Bruce lineup a few years ago and it was such a fantastic night. At the end of the final encore after the applause had died down and people were turning to leave I could see a figure at the back of the stage lingering ... it was Mike. I shouted out "That was so good" and he pumped his fist. I shouted again a sincere "Thank you Mike" and he pumped again. For some reason that meant a hell of a lot to me (weirdly even more than having my hand shook and getting a "how are ya doin'" by a remarkably exuberant Brian during a signing.) My Beach Boys journey unfolded slowly, from loving them in the 70s when I first discovered their earlier hits on Endless Summer. Finding Pet Sounds for a dollar in the early 80s and being blown away and in love with them again. Hearing the Smile outtakes on the disc from the Good Vibrations set I found that was being sold out of box separately and being swept in all over again. And then in the 2000s realizing that the brilliance of the BB's (and for that matter the genius of Brian Wilson) did not disappear after Smile and then just diving in hardcore all the way on all the wonderful two-fers, the comps and then all bootlegs I could get my hands on.
    And to answer original post ...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  10. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

Yes. They're my favorite band. :love:

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I shudder to think what my life would be like if there were no Brian Wilson on the earth.

saborlord123, Jayne, sharedon and 3 others like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Absolutely. The funnest group around.

There isnt more a beautifully infectious harmonically arranged pop music than what the Beach Boys put to record. Always, always makes me smile. Some of my best memories of the last 3 years are singing Beach Boys songs in the truck with my nieces and nephews. Some of my best life memories in fact.

For a guy who spent a good portion of his life depressed and confused, this guy who suffers from chronic depression gives a big thanks. Thanks Brian Wilson, your work makes me and a lot of other people get through some rough times and smile.

13. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

I love most of their output from the 60's and some from the early 70's. Albums like Today! and Pet Sounds are masterpieces of early pop. The other stuff is quite uneven. The 80's BB and onward is not my cup of tea. Songs like Kokomo and Summer of Love are pure torture IMO.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

My favorite...

Ladies and Gentlemen... The Beach Boys!...

Jayne likes this.
  15. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Pet Sounds to Holland era mostly, but yes I love the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson. Mike Love I can barely tolerate on a good day, especially his lead vocals.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I was managing a bookstore years and years ago and I bought this book on a closeout for 99 cents. I thought it was great and packed with information and quotes from "the Boys". It really filled in a lot of gaps in my Beach Boys knowledge long before there were a zillion books about the band.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to get it out and read it again.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Madlove likes this.
  17. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

No. No I do not.

But I do like a few of their songs, appreciate (but don't exactly love) Pet Sounds, mostly like Smile Sessions from 2012 (?), and think Surf's Up is probably their best record.

Like them? Sure, kind of. But far from love.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I love these fly on the wall videos. They are well made and have the feel of the times.

beccabear67 likes this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I love The Beach Boys 1964-80.

:love::agree::love:

20. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Well, I'm a fan of Pet Sounds. I think that's a really good album and I enjoy it wholeheartedly, from start to finish.

That said, don't ask me about anything else they've done.

21. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

Love the Beach Boys. Love Brian Wilson and AL Jardine. Loved Dennis and Carl. Don't like Mike Love.

Dennis was so underrated.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Love them yes!
    fan since the mid '90s

Veronica James likes this.
  23. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Yes. 100%. Still surfin'!

Scope J and Veronica James like this.
  24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member