Do You Love The Beach Boys?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veronica James, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"No copyright infringement intended; I do not own up to any opinion in this video." :D

3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Of course. They're one of my all time favorites.

Nothing reminds me more of home than the sweet and harmonious sounds of the Beach Boys. :love:

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wished they do a RSD different cover Pet Sounds.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I can hear music, indeed..indeed.

Veronica James and JohnnyQuest like this.
  6. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Oddly enough I bought Pet Sounds as a new release. What's odd about that?
    It was the first Beach Boys album I owned. I had paid attention to all the hits. But that was it.
    The first time I listened to PS, I was hooked. I thought it was amazing and wondered what I'd been missing.
    I knew I had to start looking back. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the earlier albums didn't sound like Pet Sounds.
    I've hung in ever since.

Veronica James and Silken like this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

They were brilliant but I don't like them apart from a handful of toons.

8. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Nah, used to enjoy Pet Sounds, and even longer back a Greatest Hits package, lotsa of fun fun fun, and clearly genius pop songsmithery, but insubstantial for me.

9. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Indisputably. Brian has a way with melody that triggers my brain in all the right ways.

10. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Yes, have all of their albums, saw them twice with Brian back in the 70s and have seen Brian 3 times.

Veronica James likes this.
  11. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

They are my favorite group. Liked them all through the late 60's and early 70's. Then my dad decided to get some of the early albums (Surfin' USA to Little Deuce Coup) and a Pickwick compliation with Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains on it. At that point I was hooked. I even bought the Dutch LP Beach Boys 40 Bests 2-LP set that had all the big Capitol Hits. I do have a couple of CDs missing (MIU and Keeping The Summer Alive and later live CDs) but other than the Beatles I probably have a greater percentage of their releases than any other group (and the Beach Boys have released more albums since they had a lot more time to do that!).

Veronica James and erikdavid5000 like this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Hell yeah.

Pretty.Odd. and Veronica James like this.
  13. Silken

Silken Forum Resident

I do love them.

Veronica James likes this.
  14. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Obsessively so. Particularly Brian.

I'm fairly certain the first real concert I ever attended was The Beach Boys concert at Mud Island (in Memphis, 1986), I would have been 10. When I was probably 20 or so, the documentary "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" came out. It featured numerous artists singing Brian's praises but of particular attention to me was Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth). Just making that association caused to me to re-evaluate them and when I did it started a 20+ year love affair. I'm not the biggest Beach Boy fan in the world but I would classify myself as a B+ fan. :)

I saw "Love & Mercy" fourteen times in the theaters when it was released 2 summers ago. A very nice person who shall remain nameless provided me with a copy of the screenplay for the film in late 2014. I was beyond obsessive about that film and it's portrayal of Brian. The music has been a healing salve on my psyche a number of times. And for that, I'm eternally grateful.

15. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Casual fan at best. As a very young child, their presence was only in 80s soundtrack songs or the occasional surf tune in pop culture. It wasn't until much later that I heard Pet Sounds. While I enjoy it, it's not something that really resonates with me on a personal/emotional level.

16. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Undoubtedly. The Beach Boys are truly the "American band." I heard them first in July, 1965. As I recall, they played "California Girls," which would have just been released. Since then I've been to 9 or 10 concerts by some grouping of the band, including a fantastic November, 1971 concert at Georgetown University at which they played several songs from their recently-released "Surf's Up" album. We saw the 50th Reunion tour at Chastain Park in Atlanta, and have tickets to see the Brian Wilson/Al Jardine/Blondie Chaplin "Pet Sounds" tour here in Chattanooga next weekend. Their concerts are always "Fun, Fun, Fun."

17. I love their early stuff, but my interest stops after Holland.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I should also mention that I'm probably in the minority that loves THE BEACH BOYS LOVE YOU. It's my second favorite behind PET SOUNDS, I love everything about LOVE YOU. I love that it's Brian completely and fully back at the helm of the songwriting and production of a full length. I love it's quirks. I love it's schmaltz and the bare nerve earnestness.

19. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

20. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Been attached to the hip with them since they began. Have met them all several times and can't remember how many times I've seen them. What a long, strange, life enhancing trip it's been. Whew!

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm fan of them but I prefer their works during the 1960s only.

22. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

Absolutely. They've been my favorite band for many years--and for too many reasons to list. I will note one thing: Until the time I discovered them as a teenager, I tended to stick with music that I could project myself into. I always imagined myself as the singer, lead guitarist, introspective wordsmith . . . whatever. With the Beach Boys, I didn't do that. Didn't want to be Brian Wilson, didn't want to sing falsetto, didn't want responsibility for the often clunky lyrics--just wanted to absorb the music. And this was sort of a gateway drug. Before long, I had amassed a pretty good collection of classical (heavy on Bach), jazz (Davis/Coltrane/Baker), and other types of music that I'd paid no attention to in the past. Again, I just wanted to hear great music. No projection or peer approval required. So I credit the Beach Boys with substantially broadening my musical horizons and thereby enhancing my life. Thanks fellas.

23. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Yep. The Beach Boys Love You so it seems rude not to return the favour...

Liked the cars, surf and girls stuff but dismissed it as 'early pop fluff' until I heard/saw Brian and band at the Party at the Palace on TV in 2002. Road to Damascus moment for me. Finally clicked just how complex and detailed this music was, how I'd completely underestimated it and what I was hearing and seeing was like Revolver or Sgt Pepper being constructed before my very ears.

Several dozen CDs and box sets later, not to mention several of Brian's concerts and yes, I love them. None more so for their post Pet Sounds music - its a crying shame that Friends, Sunflower, Love You and the likes of Breakaway are not as widely known and celebrated as Fun, Fun, Fun et al.

24. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

blondie is a neighbor of mine. He's still out with brian & al on the road. This is from last week.

[​IMG]

25. Jack

Jack Senior Member

only the Holland album. all else leaves me cold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.