Do you need bass and treble? Or are you a purist that goes flat.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by analog4011, Sep 17, 2006.

1. analog4011

analog4011 Member

Chicago, Ill. USA
    Eq or no eq? That is the question. Do you rely on flat with room acoustics......or just EQ as necessary? :)
  2. rpd

rpd Well-Known Member

no adjustments available on my pre...and I like it that way...
  3. Pug

Pug Elitist Snob

Before I started hanging out here, I had the bass and treble pumped up. After a year or so here, I cut back on them until now they are both set at the zero position.

I still use a sub. I like house shaking bass. :agree:
  4. ChrisG

ChrisG New Member

New York City

I generally keep mine on bypass. If a recording sounds deficient, I may tweak something, but that's extremely rare.

5. analog4011

analog4011 Member

Chicago, Ill. USA
    What pre-amp do you have? :)
  6. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Chicago, IL USA
    Like most "purists" I buy my EQ by using Tubes and even analog sources to impose tone and phase shifts - all in the name of musicality. I'm actually self-parodying, but I think others may do this on occassion.

Still, I like what I hear and that's all that counts. My sons should have a nice estate sale someday.
  7. rpd

rpd Well-Known Member

NAD 116
  8. analog4011

analog4011 Member

Chicago, Ill. USA
    I think this separates the two camps of stereo people. The ones that need EQ and the ones that do not. :)
  9. Cornholio

Cornholio Active Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Same here. Parasound PLD 2000
  10. 93curr

93curr Forum Resident

Deeply in the "purist that goes flat" category.
  11. analog4011

analog4011 Member

Chicago, Ill. USA
    This is growing up to what is more musical and what is more processed. :)
  12. OcdMan

OcdMan Well-Known Member

I usually bypass the tone controls. But, in some cases, they're needed. Now if I had a world-class, mega bucks, mastering quality parametric equalizer, I'd use EQ a lot more.
  13. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

México City
    My pre doesn't have any extra controls. It only has a volume knob and a selector one. :)
  14. Onward

Onward New Member

Oslo, Norway
    I've always bypassed all tone controls when i've had equipment that had them. I have a friend that refers to the loudness button as the "good sound button" though :rolleyes:
  15. wildchild

wildchild Well-Known Member

Mark Levinson ML-12a. No tone control's :D:
  16. gregvet

gregvet Member

AR LS3B No tone controls but there is a direct to bypass balance and mono/stereo switch.
  17. Grant

Grant A Musical Free-Spirit

United States
    FLAT all the way, DIRECT mode! The music sounds most transparent that way.
  18. Keim

Keim Well-Known Member

19. Another Side

Another Side Active Member

San Francisco
    I listen to everything flat. Occassionally, I'll dial down the treble. But If I had a Sontec or Massenberg parametric EQ, then I would use to fix some wonkiness on otherwise good sounding CD's.
  20. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢

I have my tone controls on by pass. I have an ADCOM 5300 amp and my pre is the ADCOM GFP-555II.
  21. Drifter

Drifter Auto-Tune: ruining songs for 16 years!

Vancouver, BC, CA
    I almost never boost high frequencies, but very often have to cut them. The Lennon remasters, for instance, are just horrible - extreme high end. [​IMG]

Sometimes I have to cut certain midrange frequencies (particularly in the 2-5 kHz range) to make a recording less painful to listen to as well. I like my bass, so I sometimes boost the bottom a bit.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

I play a lot of records that don't conform to RIAA equalization--indeed, many that predate the use of microphones--so frequently I'll send the signal through a flat preamp (no equalization curve) and then adjust tone quality with the bass/treble controls if I'm listening casually or else with my third-octave graphic eq. I do switch the tone controls out when the material doesn't need them, however.
  23. Adam9

Adam9 Formerly jbohdan

Toronto, Canada
    Almost always flat.
  24. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

Of course I use EQ controls when I want to, though I never boost the high end. They're like salt and pepper for music tonality.
  25. My tubes are my tone controls when needed.