Do you need bass and treble? Or are you a purist that goes flat.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by analog4011, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Me too :agree:.

If I need any other sound adjustment, I just pour another beer.:D

Rock on.

2. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

No tone controls on my pre (Threshold)
    I think a lot (dare I say most?) of the better high end pre amps DO NOT have any tone controls, many designers consider them un-needed additional circuitry that dregrade the overall sound quality. Rightly so IMHO.
    The "straight wire with gain" philosophy in action.

3. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

That's what I do as well.

Dale

4. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Since I went on a serious quest for the clearest, cleanest sound some time ago I only use the 'Direct' mode.

I don't see myself as a 'purist', but I do see my previous 'normal' listening customs (using EQ and/or the bass and treble buttons as well as the odd effect) as adding muddiness to the sound and taking away part of the fun.

5. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Well stated. I find lately that I use volume adjustments, often turning something down a smidge will bring it better focus, less often it's up in volume.

Anyone else find this?

6. live evil

live evil Senior Member

i have an eq that i use all the time.
    i'm sure i'll get some negative reaction to this - but i don't care what was intended - i only care what sounds good to me in my family room.

the creators of any record have no idea on the condition of my ears, my system, and my listening room, so i adjust until i like what i hear.

7. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

To anyone who'd complain, I'd say the same thing I say to so-called purists who don't season their food or sweeten or cream their coffee. Have it your way, but don't take away my freedom to have it mine.

While I admitted to using tubes to sweeten my sound, I know I sure have a good time knob-twirling any time I've had the chance.

8. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Like some others here, I have no tone controls on my Levinsion preamp. Just selector, master volume, and 1db stepped attenuators, which are great for matching levels of different sources.

9. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Depends on the preamp. My small system has a MAC 2200 and the bass and treble really come in handy when using headphones....

10. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

You have a C220 (unless you upgraded?). The C2200 is a different preamp.

11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I always bypass the tone controls to make the sound purer and natural.

12. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Home system: My integrated has no tone controls, so I listen flat, which is fine as I can generally listen as loud as I want.

Work system: Marantz 2270 has tone controls, as well as the dreaded loudness button, which come in handy as I can't listen very loud.

13. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Mostly flat with the treble at about 2:00

14. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

15. ChrisG

ChrisG New Member

Whatever works for you.
    It's all about the music.
    Rock on.

16. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

My Naim Nait 5i is sans tone knobs. Changing speakers is my slow and very expensive way of controlling tone.:D

J.M. Reynaud Twin Sigs finally tamed my room, sound great, rock, and make all but the most awfully shrill or otherwise tainted CDs work for me. Many 'philes claim purism about tone controls, but what was all that speaker auditioning, cable/i.c. changeouts, and room treatment about then?

Yoiks,
    Bruce

17. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

My system has a knob that controls the volume. I use that.

On truly horrifying recordings I might dust off the midfi fisher whatever-many band EQ I have and hook it in. No question it degrades the sound, but at that point on the quality scale, a careful touch on the EQ does more good than it does harm. I think I've only done it a dozen or so times... 99% of recordings I just turn it down if it's too harsh, boomy, etc.

18. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Haven't had a tone control in years.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have all sorts of tone controls (McIntosh MX110) but the only ones I ocassionally use these days are the high and low filters. And that's only if the mastering is exceptionally bass or trebble heavy. :)

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

flat!!!

21. spudco

spudco Well-Known Member

Last time I had tone controls was on early adcom preamp about 25 years ago. I'm definitely a flat guy... I'm just lucky that my main room is a good match for my speakers.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

I normally use my systems with tone controls/EQ flat. If the recording needs it, I use tone controls/EQ as needed!

23. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I don't even have a balance control on my preamp. I suppose I could use different interconnects or power cords to alter the sound, but, generally, I just accept recordings as they are, warts and all. I've spent the last 11 years finetuning and altering my main rig and am quite happy presently; it's reasonably neutral and transparent.

24. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

No tone controls in my system.

25. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I have neither tone controls or EQ settings on either of my listening systems. But even if I did, my answer would be 'flat'. I've yet to hear any form of eq that doesn't do some other damage to the signal. I also like to hear what is really on the cd. If it is a bit bright, well....that's the way that it is.

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.