Do you prefer Brian Wilson or Carl Wilson as a vocalist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robbie Fowler is God, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. felipe

felipe Forum Resident

Why you guys think Brian didn't sing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" in Lei'd In Hawaii? Has him ever talked about not liking his performance at the record or was him already having concentration issues?

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Hmmm, I don't think Brian was shot at the time. That was recorded in 1969. That is when Brian still sounds amazing to me. All his vocal work on Sunflower is superb to me, especially, like I mentioned in a previous post, my favorite Brian vocal of all time: his vocals at the end of "Forever." Also, I love his vocal on "This Whole World," which was removed in the final mix. Check this video out at 0:32 for the "when girls get mad at boys" section. His voice is starting to show a little abuse, but it's still fantastic. Pure heaven to me.

Edit: And here is the demo of "Break Away." I don't hear a shot voice here:

https://youtu.be/hqNzHnB72sg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Drifter likes this.
  3. felipe

felipe Forum Resident

He could hit the same notes until the early 70s, but I think by 66/67 his voice became too nasal. "Surfer Girl" in Lei'd In Hawaii sounds like another person than the record. Yes I know he changed his style but the clean voice that sang "Barbie" was gone

Edit: when I said shot I meant mentally

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I agree with that. I just happen to like the "nasal" Brian who could hit the notes as well as the "clean" Brian. ;)

I enjoyed discussing this with you.

felipe likes this.
  5. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Agreed!

Brian all the way. Carl is only second because it was Brian who established that Beach Boys falsetto/emotive voice as a foil to Mike, which Carl stepped up and ran with when Brian pulled back.

For me: as amazing as The Beach Boys got from 66 onward, I think they really lost something when that Brian/Mike dynamic changed..... Still my fave band ever though.

MaccaBeatles and Drifter like this.
  6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

1000% agreed

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It has to be Brian. His background vocals were critical on every early Beach Boys track, and his lead vocals on all those ballads from the early years are gorgeous. More importantly, they couldn't be mimicked because his voice had a natural quality that expressed sadness and longing that another person singing falsetto just doesn't have.

Farmer's Daughter
    Lonely Sea
    Surfer Girl
    In My Room
    Don't Worry Baby
    The Warmth of the Sun
    The Girls on the Beach
    Hushabye
    Please Let Me Wonder
    Kiss Me, Baby

erikdavid5000 and supermd like this.
  8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Even a broke-down Brian takes the cake, imo.

9. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I don't think Brian could have outdone Carl on 'Good Vibrations', tho.

(I've just noticed that Mike McDonald from the Doobies kind of lifted Carl's vocal style).

10. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

It depends. I love Brian's angelic falsettos but man, the outro of "This Whole World" gives me goosebumps. Carl delivered!

(@1:46-1:53)

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Brian.
    His sixties vocals are perfect.
    Creeping up behind him on a surf board is bro Carl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.