Do you prefer headphones or speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you are using your main system in the comfort of your home, or studio, or where you happen to listen to music, do you prefer your fancy speakers or your fancy headphones? Why?

2. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

3. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Classical music through headphones; Beatles and the rest through speakers.

4. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Loudspeakers are preferred even given all the room interactions physically and sonically, not to mention the feng-shui. :)
    But I still find utility and love for headphone listening.
    Not just when I'm on the go and employing a iPod, but with deep listening. Would really like to invest in an Eddie Current Zana Deux in this next year.

krisbee likes this.
  5. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Speakers... but its purely a physical thing, I've found no design or type that doesn't become unbearable after 20 minutes.

6. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Speakers.
    I don't like images in my head. They should be in front of me.

7. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

speakers, headphones mean I'm at work!

8. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

I have never liked headphones.

EasterEverywhere, samn and DaveC113 like this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Both.

ls35a likes this.
  10. timind

timind phorum rezident

This response really needs some elaboration. It leaves me with a huge question mark.

11. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

Speakers, unless I'm trying not to bother somebody with the sound.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

I prefer speakers as the question is asked. Headphones, which I love, are for late night or purely private listening.

13. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I've never been comfortable with "ear bugs" and over ear, either open or closed back, caused me a burning sensation of the backs of my ears... and the sweating, I won't go there!

So as I stated it is a personal physical issue I have.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I listen to headphones while commuting, but the problem is I need closed-back ones for this, which seems to eliminate the best options. I've been kind of headphone-curious of late as prices on the electrostats are dropping, but it would seem weird to buy headphones I basically couldn't take out of the house without bothering folks.

15. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

Headphones for stereo, speakers for surround.

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Thanks for the clarification. I read your original post to mean you couldn't listen to speakers or phones for more than 20 minutes. I get it now.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I prefer headphones. I don't have a living arrangement where I can properly enjoy speakers. So headphones it is. And make the best of it. And it's good.

18. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Speakers, no question about it. I only resort to headphones when it's strictly necessary (eg. late in the evening).

19. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Rarely used headphones in my life.

20. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Speakers by a long shot for me, but I do have several sets of headphones for varying purposes for when I need to be respectful of people sleeping in the house. BTW, I have a vintage set of JVC quadraphonic headphones, that sound pretty decent though you get very little, if any, 4-channel effect. The drivers are just too close together, and those headphones weigh a ton, about an hour tops is all you can wear them. I much prefer my Sennheiser headphones for private listening.

21. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Easily prefer speakers. Headphones are a necessary evil sometimes, but I vastly prefer speakers even with poor room interactions.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Speakers. The music was recorded, mixed, and mastered on speakers, so that's the way to listen to it. Before someone throws up Stax headphones like someone always does in these types of threads, most people do not have, nor cannot afford Stax, and they are impractical for most situations.

23. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I said headphones because lately playing my speakers at a decent level can be more stressful to me than its worth. With 2 of the units above me currently being retired people- they are NEVER gone...I get banged on. Since almost no one these days seems to have a nice stereo proper for their music listening- I'm like the trouble maker. Been doing headphones more- like it more than I thought I would. The phones seem to bring out more detail and are stress free. I'm finding that some recordings I prefer on the phones, and others with speakers.

Halloween_Jack and johnnypaddock like this.
  24. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Headphones - amazing resolution and zero room interaction.

richie60 likes this.
  25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Speakers. Headphones as a utility/convenience mostly for portable listening, and as a tool for work only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.