Do you prefer original Black Sabbath with Ozzy or Black Sabbath with Dio?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Cruel, but fair, as well as funny.
    Well played, DK....

GodShifter and dkmonroe like this.
  2. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Maybe not. :p

Actually, no wait, it is a shame for you... if Ozzy did write lyrics and they sucked ass (EVEN WORSE THAN DIO'S :bigeek:) that would work out great for your Narrative.

GodShifter and dkmonroe like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

And.... there's the chorus! :laugh:

Sandinista likes this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ozzy's written plenty of lyrics. The Writ for example...all Ozzy. One of Black Sabbaths greatest compositions.

ShawnX, Synthfreek and dkmonroe like this.
  5. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

If you are going to pollute the thread with facts, I might as well go back to work.

6. Frippwire

Frippwire Well-Known Member

To me Black Sabbath consists of only the original four members. As much as I love the lineup with Dio, they probably should've taken on a new name from the get-go like they did years later when they took to calling themselves Heaven & Hell. Either way the music is still awesome.

ShawnX, GodShifter and jon9091 like this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

First I'm hearing about Ozzy writing a lyric...they always say "well, Ozzy came up with the melody"

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I guess I can see that.

I like Iommi's guitar tone much better than Blackmore's, though. Heaven and Hell and especially Mob Rules really rock. With Blackmore, there isn't any album that has the kind of balls heavy production that the Black Rainbow (my new name for them -- I've always jokingly called them that) had. Maybe it's Blackmore's Stratocaster and his amp set up? It's not Martin Birch as he produced Rainbow, too, so I think it just boils down to Iommi vs Blackmore. Blackmore always favored using a keyboard player (Sabbath did too with Geoff Nicholls but his stuff is more background/mood setting stuff) as an additional melodic instrument, so there's maybe that, too. But, yeah the two bands are not that dissimilar with Dio at the helm.

I totally agree with our comments on Bonnet as I said almost the same thing about him the hard rock/heavy metal thread I created awhile back. Turner is a smooth vocalist ala guys like Gramm, but onstage he was a total priss.

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

"The Writ" is the most used example of Ozzy writing lyrics. It's his Mount Olympus or whatever. It's a great piece of work, but from what I know, it's one of his few contributions in terms of writing. He is responsible for a lot of vocal melodies and came up with the melody itself of "Who Are You" from SBS, but, by and large, Butler, Daisley, or other outside writers have done the lion share of lyric writing for him whether it be BS or his solo stuff. He's said that writing lyrics doesn't come easy to him. I'm not sure how much he did for 13 but I'd wager most of that is Butler, too.

Curveboy and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  10. jon9091

I think things like Looking For Today are Ozzy as well. I have some old mags with interviews with him at the time SBS came out where he's talking about where his lyrics came from....and that he was blown away with Geezer's lyrics for Spiral.

Sandinista and GodShifter like this.
  11. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Spiral Architect is a top 3 Sabbath song for me. Unreal. Ozzy's delivery is amazing. THIS is a unique band of four players. SBS and Sabotage are a band really peaking, taking all the lessons learned and still pushing the envelope while just getting ready to fall off from a height they'll never reach again!

12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

As long as Tony Iommi is playing guitar, who freakin' cares who is holding the microphone? I mean really.

ifihadafish, Curveboy and Sandinista like this.
  13. jon9091

Agreed completely.

14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I thought this was interesting...here is a breakdown by vocalist of my Sabbath playlist:

Ozzy - 13
    Dio - 28
    Gillan - 3
    Hughes - 8*
    Gillen - 3
    Martin - 19

*includes 3 songs from Fused

15. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

early Black Sabbath with Ozzy were innovators, from technical ecstacy onwards with or without him they were parodying themselves

16. BluesOvertookMe

reinventing themselves, evolving, is what I would say

davers, warewolf95 and Curveboy like this.
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Certainly Tony's playing just got better and better...

18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Although I of course get the massive importance and significance of the Ozzy-era Sabbath albums, I just personally can't stand Ozzy's voice. It took forever for it to grow on me.

I initially thought I'd never be able to get into Sabbath - then I learned there were more albums made without Ozzy than with him!!!

I got into Sabbath thanks completely to the Dio, Gillan and Martin era albums and then backtracked.

19. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, I guess Transformers is better than Casablanca then as well!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Pretty much my story too...

21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Both are great in their own way...

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. warewolf95

It's actually kinda funny, because Sabbath was one of the very first bands I ever actively tried getting into when I was 9 or 10. My friend's dad had a copy of "We Sold Out Soul For Rock and Roll" that we'd play whenever I was over.

I literally had no idea there were albums after Never Say Die until a few years ago when I matured to the age of 15, haha.

Heaven and Hell and The Mob Rules and Born Again just blew my mind and from there I "grew into" the earlier stuff. I now love it all equally, but yea, I just do not care for Ozzy's voice, lol.

:)

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. BluesOvertookMe

Three really great albums!

Curveboy and warewolf95 like this.
  24. warewolf95

People complain about the mix of Born Again.

I honestly do not hear any problems with the mix.

The problem is the production, as far as my ears can tell, but everyone says it's the mix.

25. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Born Again - sh1t heavy rhythm and bass with ear piercing singing and lead playing.

Perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.