Do you prefer Red Rose Speedway as a single or double-album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

The deluxe-edition features both the original single-album and an intended double-album of Red Rose Speedway
    Iv always liked this album but also found it somehow patchy and with a strange sequencing
    The double-album that goes with the deluxe-edition solve those problems for me. All the aditionsl songs(none new for me) adds both colour and some edge to the album and the sequencing is spot on. All of a sudden a very dear but flawed Macca/Wings album-at least for me transforms into a masterwork of great melodies, inventive arrangements and wondruous vocals. In fact it has fast become one of my true McCartney favorites up there with his best.
    Am I the only one?

2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I've been listening to RRS exclusively in its 2-LP configuration ever since the UAC in 2015, and I found it to be a far more satisfying experience as a whole. Plus, I feel that Night Out + Little Lamb Dragonfly were far better bookends to the album than Big Barn Bed + the Hold Me Tight medley. I enjoyed the Denny + Linda tracks far more in the context of the double album (unlike on Wings At The Speed Of Sound, where one LP really isn't enough real estate to afford to non-Paul vocals as much). It seems more like a natural link between Wild Life and Band On The Run than the single-LP version, if that makes any sense. I am very glad that Paul decided to give the double album an official release (unlike McCartney II, where we've been given all the songs, but still have to "roll our own", so to speak).

3. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

On balance single album the correct choice, but with different selections to the ones Paul went with. No Loup for a kick-off, No Big Barn Bed and no Get On the Right Thing.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What’s the track listening for the RRS double album ?

Paulwalrus and MitchLT like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Could not agree more about Nights out as a perfect opening track and the gorgeous Little lamb Dragonfly as a closing track. I really like the meddle but it s a bit to lightweight to anchor the album. Also think that great songs like Mommas little girl and I lie around deserves there place on the album.

FJFP, Choba b CCCP and daveidmarx like this.
  6. Bemagnus

1. Night Out
    2. Get On The Right Thing
    3. Country Dreamer
    4. Big Barn Bed
    5. My Love
    6. Single Pigeon
    7. When The Night
    8. Seaside Woman
    9. I Lie Around
    10. The Mess [Live At The Hague]
    11. Best Friend [Live In Antwerp]
    12. Loup (1st Indian On The Moon)
    13. Medley:
    a) Hold Me Tight
    b) Lazy Dynamite
    c) Hands Of Love
    d) Power Cut
    14. Mama’s Little Girl
    15. I Would Only Smile
    16. One More Kiss
    17. Tragedy
    18. Little Lamb Dragonfly

7. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Comparing the two we have, its better as a double album. Side 4 in particular is excellent. OTOH side three is the opposite of excellent. I'd say it probably would have worked best as a differently configured single album, as he made some weird inclusions/omissions on the single album he compiled from the originally intended double back in 73. A better selection of the best half of all the tracks contained on the double could have been a brilliant, nearly Ram level single album.

Brian Mc, Ludger, Gila and 1 other person like this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I prefer it as a double album, even though as a commercial matter it was the right decision to release it as a single LP. One LP or two, it still isn’t a good McCartney album - there aren’t enough fully realized songs for that. But, over two albums, it’s a swirl of wonderful melodies, and McCartney’s great vocals. It’s a pleasant listening experience.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  9. alexpop

1 Night Out ...excellent opener
    2. Get On The Right Thing ..excellent
    3. Country Dreamer. Ok
    4. Big Barn Bed. ..excellent
    5. My Love...classic fed up with the woah woahs
    6. Single Pigeon...I do like it.
    7. When The Night...excellent
    8. Seaside Woman...meh
    9. I Lie Around....good
    10. The Mess [Live At The Hague] live
    11. Best Friend [Live In Antwerp] live
    12. Loup (1st Indian On The Moon) son of kree kora

13. Medley:
    a) Hold Me Tight
    b) Lazy Dynamite
    c) Hands Of Love
    d) Power Cut
    Medley ...best bit.

14. Mama’s Little Girl ...Ok
    15. I Would Only Smile ..ok‘ish
    16. One More Kiss....excellent
    17. Tragedy...ok
    18. Little Lamb Dragonfly.. excellent

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Cachiva and Ludger like this.
  10. Bemagnus

I agree that it probably was a better commercial desicion to release it as a single album. But perhaps with a slightly different tracklist. But anyway now we finally have the double-album out.
    As opposed to you I always found RRS a good but flawed album. It has stood the test of time and the newly released double-album imo fixes the flaws of the original and now we have an album that I rank as top-tier McCartney

Choba b CCCP and alexpop like this.
  11. alexpop

Single album ?

Night Out
    Single Pigeon
    When The Night
    I lie Around
    Big Barn
    Country Dreamer

Get On The Right thing
    Little Dragonfly
    The Mess
    Only One More KISS
    Hold me Tight
    Lazy Dynamite
    Hands of Love
    Power Cut

jricc likes this.
  12. alexpop

Its good to have for fans end of the day.

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The double album version. But, to be honest, I didn't listen to the 1-LP version over years until the Archive edition was announced.^^
    Eventually I checked out the double album version @soniclovenoize posted on his blogspot before and this was my go-to until I got the box set.
    Btw, sometimes live recordings disturb the 'flow' of a studio album but the live tracks on this 2-LP don't bother me at all. Great stuff!

soniclovenoize likes this.
  14. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

I’m with you @Bemagnus - I’ve listened to the double vinyl a ton since it came out in December and it’s turned a least-favourite album into one of his best. Like The White Album, the expanse of the double allows room for some of the off-beat tracks (and the single RRS shows why The White Album should never have been a single record). Each side of the double RRS brings something a little different, its like four killer EPs.

I’m still not a big fan of My Love, but I always thought it was a strange song to have as the second track on the album. Ruins the pace. It’s better as a side closer. The Double RRS is a better example of the Wings-as-a-band notion with the Denny and Linda tracks than V&M or WATSOS. When Seaside Woman pops up on side two, it just reminds me of Tom Tom Club.

Artistically I think if he’d released it as a double, Paul would’ve been better off. It would’ve been more of an event and would’ve contrasted better against Wild Life. Then again, RAM wasn’t a critical favourite at the time, no matter how good it was, so maybe a double RRS would’ve generated bad reviews in 72-73.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Also, I love 'Tragedy' and 'I Would Only Smile'. Shame that those weren't on the original release.

16. Bemagnus

The strange thing is that some of the weirder choices-like Loup-from the original album works far better in the context of the double-album. Also Nights out that I never thought much of works splendid as an album opener.

SRC, supermd, Paul Gase and 1 other person like this.
  17. alexpop

Who prefered it as a single album? I voted for double ( even though I haven't heard it in continuity ), bought RRS when it came out in Canada in 1973. Great production ! A jazz cigarette followed with a pizza album at the time.

ChrisChopping and andrewskyDE like this.
  18. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Double - no question.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  19. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Double for sure. The sad thing to me is no matter what he put out back then he would have caught flak for it. He was Paul Mccartney. He was supposed to put out albums with 5 Yesterdays on side one, and 5 Hey Jude’s on side two.

20. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I've always heard Wild Life and RRS as albums by a new band still searching for their sound, but the double RRS (I have it on vinyl) seems to have a better flow, and some of the best songs, IMO, were left off the single album. I especially like the inclusion of the idyllic country-flavored songs like "Country Dreamer" contrasting with the rockers, and the cover of the Fleetwoods' "Tragedy" is very nice. They would make better albums later in their career, finding their groove magnificently on Band On the Run, but I like RRS more than I did before, largely because of the double version (although I still think "Lazy Dynamite" is pretty dumb).

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  21. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Country Dreamer is a great example. I was vaguely familiar with it before, but since picking up the double lp I’ve been singing it almost nonstop here around the house. Shows what a strong songwriter he is that he could leave it off of an album.

andrewskyDE, Choba b CCCP and Folknik like this.
  22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I would say he came pretty close to that with Band On the Run.

EddieMann likes this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Single album. Less is more. Double is watered down.

SteveM and btomarra like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Now that would be a pretty boring album.

And Side 2 would total almost 36 minutes alone!

;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Dr. Pepper, EddieMann and Ivan like this.
  25. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

I prefer it as just a 45 with My Love/The Mess

Chuckee and Arnold Grove like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.