Do you regard Green Day as a real punk band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleJay, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Giving my honest opinion of Green Day would probably be considered a thread crap, so I'll just leave it at that.

Dr. Funk, nosliw, kevin5brown and 2 others like this.
  2. El Rich-o

El Rich-o Forum Resident

Punk rock bands don't do acoustic ballads. (do they?)

danielbravo and Grand_Ennui like this.
  3. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

America punk, yes

4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Natural for them to end up on Broadway then, I guess.

[​IMG]

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

In a hot topic kind of way.

6. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Yes, a plastic punk band.

nosliw and juno6000 like this.
  7. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

8. Good band, but no I don't consider them to be punk. There music is too commercial for punk.

juno6000 likes this.
  9. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

They are as punk as Blink 182

nosliw likes this.
  10. Mountain Cowboy

Mountain Cowboy Forum Resident

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Aside from the Who’s Tommy, have there been any other rock operas written by the artists that were successful on Broadway? I guess U2 wrote music specifically for the Spider Man musical, but I can’t think of any others.

12. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Yep. They are a real punk band.

As time went on, they tried new stuff, new styles. I'm okay with that.

Lots of bands have done so - The Beatles, Stones, even Lydon himself.

But the Gilman days were their true roots, when they emerged with Rancid.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I watched a few clips of their recent shows at the Rose Bowl and Wrigley Field. I think that to call them a punk band or a “pop punk” band, if anything, is selling them short. They don’t play much from their first five albums. Their shows seem to focus primarily on recent material, which more tends towards more rock-oriented tracks, and crowd-pleasing ballads like “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” and “Time of Your Life.” People wave their cell phone lights, and sing along ala “Hey Jude”. It’s great, for sure, and you admire a band that can fill the Rose Bowl without relying on material from their youth, but it’s not punk.

14. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I always think Punk is not just the music, it's the whole attitude, a way of life for a time anyway but it never truly lasts. It can't. People slowly compromise, get older and that initial 'mojo' becomes sanitised and stable within its own context.
    'Till the next punks bust into the room!
    Are Green Day a day real punk band? They may have been once...

wwright likes this.
  15. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

No. They are a pop band that has punk influences.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but they're "punk" the same way the Bay City Rollers are "Rock 'n' Roll"

16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

No.

nosliw likes this.
  17. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

It's a tough one because they sounds just as punk as most of their influences, but on that same token, as time progressed it seems like the artists that were called punk like Ramones, Clash, and Sex Pistols were more on the poppier side than the punk that shortly followed.

Punk's one of those genres that while there's a sound associated with it, it's more easy to label based on the culture/lifestyle/actions of those with the label (e.g. sticking a safety pin through your nose, smashing guitars, middle fingers, all that fun stuff). That said, I think Green Day is punk in that regard. As evidenced by Billie Joe screaming at festival promoters and still smashing their instruments, that's some customary punk stuff.

You know what's also pretty punk? Abandoning lyrics about whacking off as a teenager and writing a political rock opera that ultimately ends up on Broadway. If punk is all about going against the norms and taking an unexpected route, then they're definitely punk.

Yes, Green Day is a real punk band.

keefer1970 and wwright like this.
  18. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

n0. pop-punk if that's a thing.

19. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

This needs to go in a Comment Hall of Fame.

20. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Yes.

21. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Exactly. Compare the Beatles’ evolution - I’m sure the purists who grew up with “Love Me Do” were wringing their hands when they heard “Across The Universe” less than ten years later.

“Damn hippie sellouts!”

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  22. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

The major issue with the "punks" is that they are very unforgiving and jealous of success...when a band like Green Day who may have started as a "punk band" with releases on Lookout Records went to Reprise the fans that they had from their Gilman Street days abandoned them in droves...their music didn't change as much (but actually evolved) as their audience never forgave them for signing with a "major"...same thing happened with Offspring and many many other bands throughout history...the price of success is to have to give up the early fans...their loss...

Dodoz and wwright like this.
  23. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I grew up in the East Bay, and was constantly baffled by the attitude flicked their way when they found success.

They were electrifying. And punk.

24. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

They're a band I certainly like, even though I feel American Idiot is exceedingly overrated. I have quite a lot of their studio material. Personally, I don't think of them as a punk-rock (well, not anything they released after 1994 at any rate). I prefer to call them pop-punk or punk-influenced alternative rock. But not punk rock, compare them to Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Jam (early), and you won't hear much in common. John Lydon of the Sex Pistols has dismissed the band as fake punk before.

There is such a thing as 1990s punk, but I wouldn't really put Green Day into that category.

25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Even bands that never had the success of Green Day or Offspring. Jawbreaker was feathered and tarred for signing to a major label (Geffen) after an indie career.
    The thing is, does it rock me, does it rock me not? For me, the album they put out on Geffen, "Dear You", is miles ahead from anything they had done prior. It's a stellar album.
    Whoever is into this kind of values past, say, 25 years old is a bit pathetic.

Green Day is a punk band, it's definitely part of their roots and style even if they became a different beast sometime in the 2000s (that duet with U2! :eek:), there's still punk in there.

wwright likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.