Do you regard Green Day as a real punk band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleJay, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Nup. They're a joke

nosliw and husafreak like this.
  2. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

May I ask what this album is? (If I know, it's certainly slipping my mind right now)!
    Cheers,

3. Posted by the OP in the OP.
    Which i "quoted".

4. "Absolutely" already mentioned in quoted OP's post.

5. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Yes, they've always sounded like a punk band for Disney Radio to me.

Like I posted earlier,
    No.

DHamilton, nosliw and DTK like this.
  6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I think punk is a genre that can be described as different things to different people.

For me, punk rock is The Ramones - catchy three chord pop songs played with energy and electric guitars. :)

That means that Green Day qualify as punk, imo. Unfortunately I'm usually embarassed to admit I'm a fan beccause they've kinda become idiots since American...well, Idiot. :p

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

[​IMG]

nosliw and blind_melon1 like this.
  8. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Is Metallica a Thrash band? In my mind it's the same situation. These are bands that thrive and produce, I think it is acceptable to continue to label them by the style they begat. Not every band earns that respect but these examples do. Green Day didn't become pop, punk became pop.

andybeau likes this.
  9. TeleCaster

TeleCaster Forum Resident

No to me they are not punk. If anything 2nd gen post-punk, but really more of a rock and roll band. Having lived through the late 70s as a teen Green Day are not punk.

Mickey2 likes this.
  10. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

As far as I'm concerned they are a punk band, but then again I never really feel the need to nit pick over what category a band's music is placed in.

pablorkcz likes this.
  11. What do you mean by "mainstream"?!?!

You recognize great successful "Punk" bands from the Eighties. There were great successful "Punk" banks in the Seventies. So, what's so special bout '94???

Your not the only one that thinks that. Just when did "Punk" stop being "mainstream"?

"London Calling - The Clash" charted in seven countries & was named "Best Album of the Decade" by "Rolling Stone" magazine. You can't get anymore "mainstream" then that!!
    :laugh:

Here, in the Bay Area, "Dookie" was disowned by "Punks" & labeled a "Sell Out". In their own hometown, "Green Day" was not "Punk" in '94.

What's the HUGE thingy bout Japan?? Like tons of other non-Japanese bands weren't popular to this day there before or after "Green Day"????

World Tours, #1 Albums, #1 Singles, Movies, Charting In Multiple Countries, & Print Media were all done by "Punk" bands before '94.

If you have brought into the '94 "Punk Revival" hype, guess that's a special date. Forpeople that followed "Punk" since it's inception...
    not so much.

Always very happy for any admiration and/or recognition* that comes "Green Day" way by-the-way.

* except for the '94 revisionist history.
    :D

12. You just did!
    :winkgrin:

eric777 likes this.
  13. sami

sami Mono still rules

Maybe in their dreams could they touch Rocket To Russia.

14. MJD

MJD Forum Resident

Weird feeling reading this thread. It seems that if the poster likes them, they are punk, if the poster doesn't like them, they are not punk but pop.

Since when a music style is an evidence of quality? There is ****ty punk records as well as amazing pop tunes.

15. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Is 'Punk' only about the music?

Or is it attitude? Both?

I'd posted this in another punk thread some time ago. Anyways, Vancouver Punk Scene. No Exit, DOA, Subhumans etc etc - this is what I grew up associating with 'punk'

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    nosliw and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  16. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

So any love for Against Me who I understand are opening for Green Day on this tour?
    I saw Mary Jane Grace live solo a month ago and I really like her. Never knew her band in the early days when she was a Tom. But I'm curious if this new version of her band hold up live and are a fit for Green Day. This is on topic in that both of these artists challenge the expectations of Punk - which may be considered rather Punk.

17. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Green Day was punk enough. Now they're power pop. I don't have a problem with either. Another punk band I like is Bouncing Souls - one of the great documentaries is their story.
    IMO, most punk fans are the epitome of poseurs - I don't say that to start a fight, just my observation. (Could be the town I live in...)
    I'm willing to be educated here.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  18. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

This question is completely irrelevant. Green Day obviously counts punk among their influences, but they have developed their very own style that transcends genres. They have great songs, and that is more important than "street cred."

19. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

They're just three guys having the time of their life.

20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I notice a lot of the most vehement 'no's come from people who never post anything about punk. So who knows why they care so much about what is and isn't punk.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I mention Japan because that's where I live.

By mainstream, I mean purchased by the general public, accessible on radio and television, popular with wider groups that didn't collect obscure punk on cassette. There was definitely a second wave of popularity for punk rock that started in 1994. It's a fairly uncontroversial view - the headline on Green Day's page on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame reads "Green Day Yanked Punk Rock Out from the Underground and into the Mainstream."

22. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I've always felt punk was more of an attitude than a musical style or sound. Green Day are still a bunch of punks!

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

They released two albums as a punk band, and then became pop-punk. Which, honestly, I like better, anyway. While they could be considered part of the alternative "revolution", they had nothing to do with grunge as their sound has no metal influence.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Rocket to Russia is the perfect album. I was in high school when it came out, and since that time in my travels around the world, I've always had one copy in the office and one at home. Their cover of the Trashmen's immortal "Surfin Bird" represents everything that is good about rock and roll and may, in fact, be better than anything that Green Day (or the Beatles for that matter) ever did.

DTK likes this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

They were a punk band during the Lookout era.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    All of their output after Kerplunk was way too commercial.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.