Do you regard Green Day as a real punk band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleJay, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

I wanna know as well.

Young and Restless likes this.
  2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I don't expect anyone who was not around in the 70's to really understand what the punk scene was. It was happening, and genuine. Everything after was a copy or cop out.
    I was in San Francisco for the last Sex Pistols show. The end of era.

Dave Decadent and Groggy like this.
  3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Nope

Grand_Ennui and nosliw like this.
  5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I do not consider them punk and more like pop rock music than anything, even when Dookie came out and became popular back in grade school. And that was when my music tastes was extremely limited compared to now. Also, I never liked the band.

6. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Ok, I googled it...You had been worried for a moment. So a Green Day is smoking a bit of pot, no problem then. Judging by the smell that sometimes drifts from his room he's getting better pot than me...

Ninja Bomber likes this.
  7. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

One of the greatest poser bands in the history of rock. It's a testament to how pathetic the music scene is that these guys even are in such a discussion.

Ranting about the president on stage, someone wrote? You mean like Madonna, Snoop Dogg, and, oh, everyone in the Billboard top 20? Revolution, baby.

Sorry, Green Day is a fair-quality derivitive product. 20 years from now, no one will ever listen to them anymore.

DHamilton and nosliw like this.
  8. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I regard them as a band I don't care for.

DHamilton likes this.
  9. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out what is "real" punk is the epitome of a fools' errand. They're a pop rock band. They were once a pop punk band, which was a wholly separate scene than the Seattle bands. It existed within a continuum not only separately but before and long after (Descendents -> Blink 182).

10. tremspeed

I'll take that bet. It's been over 20 years since their mainstream breakout album, and their popularity has only increased.

11. tremspeed

quit it, they're talking about REAL PUNK

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Isn't that what they were saying 20 years ago? You have be careful with good songwriters. They tend to survive. My daughter graduated from high school last year. At the graduation dinner, the oldie but goodie they played was Green Day.

13. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

(((NO)))

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Pop rock with colored hair and chain wallets. Hot Topic fodder.

"I listened to The Ramones. I knew Johnny Ramone. Johnny Ramone was a friend of mine. Billy Jo, you're no Johnny Ramone."

DHamilton, nosliw and Grand_Ennui like this.
  15. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I'm not sure. They can't touch the older "punk" bands that have been mentioned, but not many could imo. I don't care how authentic you are or how many albums you sold(or didn't), as long as the music's great that's what I'm in for. They don't do it for me, but if they do for you, the label is irrelevant or at least it should be.

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

17. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Any metrics on how that increase is measured?

18. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

LOL...no.

19. BPMC

BPMC Forum Resident

No. They're Power Pop at best. "Punk" is all about attitude. Green Day hasn't done anything the the Buzzcocks did better 40 years ago.

nosliw and Lemon Curry like this.
  20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Heh, still haven't made any of my playlists.

DHamilton likes this.
  21. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I'm not even sure that punk was "real" punk. I mean the whole movement was kind of a joke, a put on, an irreverent send up and FU to "serious music" in the '70s.

Pop-punk? Wasn't that essentially the formula of the Ramones? They loved old '60 surf music, very catchy, melodic, funny, friggin' fast and friggin' loud.

Were the Ramones to be taken serious with their matching leather jackets, ripped jeans and choreographed spread-legged poses?

Were the Sex Pistols to be taken seriously, essentially manufactured and marketed by Malcom McLaren, boutique owner, hyping them up as the next fashion craze? Sid Vicious may have taken it (dead) seriously. But that is beside the point.

Well, unlike other music genres, I think punk is locked in the era of its birth because it very much was in response to what was happening at the time. So it is a little ridiculous for a band like Green Day to show up 20 years 'after the revolution' and announce "we're here to do our part."

Are they inspired and modeled after punk bands like the Ramones? Absolutely. But they are almost like a punk tribute band rather than the real thing, whatever that is.

22. BeatleJay

BeatleJay Active Member Thread Starter

If you can't define what the 'real thing' is, how can you say something isn't the real thing?

Dave Decadent likes this.
  23. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Hmmmm hated on by the majority of the folks here and continuing to do what they do? Sounds pretty rebellious to me.

24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I liked that Walking Contradiction song a lot, especially with the video. That was a lot of fun! I don't care what it's labelled as. 'Punk' became some kind of merchandizing gimmick as soon as McLaren glommed onto the word. Many bondage trousers were sold. :rolleyes:

Ha ha, 'fake punks'... that's the absolute limit really! :laugh:

25. tremspeed

I could talk about pure sales data, and that their 2004 album outsold their 1994 breakout album in a lot of places, including the UK (it's also been turned into a Broadway Musical, which you may agree is an example of mainstream popularity). But as you may be aware, comparing record sales from 94 to 04 isn't exactly a fair comparison, industry wide.

I don't have the raw data in front of me but there's no way their tour receipts aren't bigger than they were in the 90s.

It's just pretty absurd to say they'll be forgotten in 20 years when it's already 25+ and they're still a mainstream phenomenon.

BeatleJay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.