Do you regard "Real Love" and "Free as a Bird" as real Beatles songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident Thread Starter

Technically, they are, since they are both credited to the Beatles, and there was a Beatles reunion in 1994-95, albeit without John Lennon. But I wonder how many people consider these songs as part of the Beatles canon or discography, and whether you include these songs in any Beatles playlists.

This raises an issue I have thought about from time to time. Other bands have reunited without an original member, or they continue after an original member has left. We don't ask questions like this as to those bands, but we do hold the Beatles to a different standard. I wonder if fans even consider the events of 1994-95 to constitute an actual reunion.

2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Yes I do. And hasn't this been done umpteen times before?

3. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

It's not like Lennon was hanging out in the Dakota refusing to take part in the project. The songs include all 4 Beatles, through one way or another, directly contributing to the final project. For me, they go at the end, in the catalog, as Beatles material.

It's also a bit different than one original member of a long-dormant or middling band putting a replacement group together and hitting the state fair circuit to play the hits under a big name. It was a one-off with very particular reasons for occurring (and never happening again).

So I'm not really sure what precisely you're going for here.

4. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I do. It has all four members on the recording - though one didn't know he was going to be - his estate allowed it to happen (after death) and the remaining three were ok with doing it - so it was a Beatles recording when it was all sung and done.

5. Seltarb

Seltarb Forum Resident

More than other 60's tracks with just one or two of them. On these all least of them are present.

6. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Not really. I think of them as peripheral contributions to the band's body of work...but I liked the spirit behind them.

saborlord123, BPMC, Graham and 21 others like this.
  7. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Personally,they are,indeed,Beatles songs,since John intended them to be just that,Plain & Simple,Case Closed! NEXT....

8. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

My answer it's on the label
    [​IMG]

9. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

In the context of the anthologies.

10. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes and no. Yes because they have the Beatles name attached. "No" in the sense that they will always be partitioned off from their main body of work, as far as I'm concerned. I certainly don't have any kind of attachment to those songs.

12. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Definitely Beatles songs. And two of the best, IMO. They're at the top of my playlists.

13. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident Thread Starter

I looked and could not find the thread, though these songs have been discussed many times.

14. helter

helter Forum Resident

Their real Beatles songs in a weird way.
    I hold them in a special category from the rest

15. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Two of the best? That's pushing it. If I did regard them as Beatles singles then out of the original UK 22 maybe 1 or 2 are inferior.

CaptainFeedback1 and john morris like this.
  16. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I do, as others have said all 4 members are on the songs. "The Ballad Of John And Yoko" only featured John and Paul, and I consider that a Beatles song.

17. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

yes sure do !

18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm with George H on this. It's a crappy demo at its core. It's fun watching the video to FAAB though.

My fav of the Lennon demo productions is Grow Old With Me. I wonder if new demixing tech could remove the click beat he was playing to. That would be cool.

19. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Without John Lennon alive how can we call it a real song? For all we know if he had been alive he would have hated it and refused to have it released.. we just don't know.. the real beatles are four living people: john , ringo, paul and george....without any of them it cannot be the beatles.... what next, they find a song and add in some ringo drums to some old tape of george strumming and john singing and paul plays bass and we call it a real beatles song?

20. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Nope, I think of them, especially "Real Love," as John Lennon solo songs since that was the original way I heard them (Lost Lennon Tapes).

21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Legally it's a Beatles recording

22. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I consider them Beatles songs. When I burned all of their songs A-Z on CD many years ago, I definitely included them.

Lewisboogie and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. Uncle John

Uncle John Member

Good songs and certainly not their worse but even Revolution #9 was more of a Beatle track than these two.

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

25. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I consider them Beatles songs. Maybe with a tiny little asterisk next to the title. But if "I Me Mine" counts as a Beatles song even though John had quit by that point, then a recording by the I Me Mine lineup playing a John Lennon composition should count too, even without John's voice and piano in the recording. The Beatles would sometimes set a recording aside and come back to it, or a member who wasn't at the original session would add something later. The two reunion tracks are simply the most extreme examples of established Beatles practice. Even going as far as the death of a participant in the recording - Brian Jones was a guest on the initial "You Know My Name" session; it was finished years later; and he died before the record was issued.

The tiny little asterisk is because John didn't consider himself a Beatle when he wrote the songs, and didn't write them for the group; and when the other three convened to finish the recordings, they didn't re-form the Beatles. They came together on a very short-term and intentionally temporary basis just to finish those songs. (Then again, the same can be said of "I Me Mine." The Beatles were not a viable group in January 1970.)

I would, of course, have preferred a full, long-term reunion of four fully reconciled and enthusiastic musicians. But that couldn't happen, and the two songs, as they are, were a beautiful farewell gift to the fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.