Do you regard "Real Love" and "Free as a Bird" as real Beatles songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yep.

Yes, I,do consider them Beatles songs but they don't belong in the core discography IMHO bexause of the circumstances. Still, I enjoy the songs even if they aren't some of John's best demos. If he had lived who knows how he would have developed them with McCartney?

The problem really is that John was developing these songs for himself not The Beatles. In fact, we don't know that he might have worked with them again if he had lived. Possibly he would have considered it but Lennon also didn't like the pressure of being a Beatle.

Zeki likes this.
  2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

they appear on a beatles album and is credited to the beatles so that makes them beatles songs

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Did "Yesterday" involve the interaction of the 4 Beatles at the same time? Or "The Ballad Of John And Yoko"?

By your own definition, very many tracks recorded during the band's heyday aren't truly Beatles songs.

Mumbojunk likes this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Not really. The cover even says "Jim Morrison".
    [​IMG]
    The fact that it includes "Music by The Doors" does not make it a Doors album, nor was it intended to be seen that way, from what I can tell.

FAAB and RL were intended to be Beatles releases.

saborlord123, Gumboo and Kwai Chang like this.
  5. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I like them, but I don't consider them Beatles songs.

6. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

7. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The group lineup looks remarkably familiar. John, Paul, George & Ringo.

What a bizarre question. Of course they are The Beatles.

8. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Yes, completely.

Reading people saying "No!" reminds me of when I was at school in the 60s. When my schoolmates - disappointed that the new Beatles record didn't sound like their preconceived vision of how The Beatles should sound, (a 'Help' or an 'I Feel Fine', or whatever) - would say "That ain't The Beatles to me!!" when songs such as "Strawberry Fields", "Yellow Submarine" and "Eleanor Rigby" first came over the airwaves.

Both FAAB and RL feature all four Beatles and were released as The Beatles, it's just that they're '90's Beatles records, not 60's records.

saborlord123 and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Yes, of course, and along with Anthology on TV, they reignighted my love for all things Beatles.

I always get a thrill at the end of Bootleg Beatles shows, when they play Free As A Bird, as the audience are leaving.

And what a fantastic video, that song has!

10. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

No they are not proper Beatles tracks, but more of an advertising gimmick to raise interest for the Anthology Project. Still interesting, though.

11. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

At first I didn`t feel that these songs belonged in the Beatles legacy. However over time they have gotten into my `psyche` and I now play those songs as `full` Beatles songs.

SuntoryTime and Lewisboogie like this.
  12. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Here's a thing - I recently burned a 2 CD set of the original British Singles ( A's & B's) from Love Me Do - Let It Be & had a bit of Disc Space left over & decided to Add FAAB & RL at the end.
    Rather surprisingly it worked - yes they're not Real Beatles songs in the sense that John was no longer with us & they have that "Jeff Lynne" sound, but it presented "closure" - especially as George is now also no longer with us.
    I'm glad they did them.

13. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

They exist, were written by one or more Beatles(s), were released by The Beatles and all 4 Beatles play on them. That kinda makes them more of a Beatles song than for example "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?" or "Revolution 9". And I count those as Beatles songs too.

14. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Yes They Are Beatles

So will the 3rd one when that gets released

15. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

They are Beatle performances by virtue of containing their playing but I certainly don't see them as core catalogue not just because of what lead to their release but that Jeff Lynne sound as much as I love the guy is so removed from any part of what we can call the sound of the sixties.

Zeki likes this.
  16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I dunno.....to me, The Beatles = anything is possible. For these two songs, "anything is possible" as long as it adheres to the restrictions of the demo. I think that the four of them could have done something very, very special with both songs, Real Love, especially. As it turned out, I still liked the results, but the performances feel somewhat restrained by being boxed in by the demo recording. Reduced esprit de corps and reduced sense of freedom.

17. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

They're no more different from anything else than Strawberry Fields Forever is from Long Tall Sally or Love You To from I Saw Her Standing There!

18. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

The recordings were considered nearly miraculous in 1995, just being able to make a new Beatles record. With a 4th generation mono cassette & pre DAWS protools technology.

saborlord123 and Lonecat like this.
  19. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

People get hung up on the 'Jeff Lynne' sound ,but these were 90's records - you can't expect them to sound like 60's records. Also John was once asked what The Beatles would sound like in the late 70's. His answer? ELO

20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I think of them as delayed appendices to the main body of work.

21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That's the impression I get from the two "Reunion" tracks as well. The label may say "Beatles" but as far as I'm concerned, they're John Lennon demos Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr overdubbed on. Not quite the same thing. Too much water had gone underneath the bridge between 1970 and 1994 for it to be the Beatles with any real conviction. I might be more convinced of Beatles authenticity on those two songs if Harrison had really wanted to be involved in the project, but if not for the whole Denis O' Brien/Handmade Films bad craziness depleting George's coffers there probably wouldn't have been a Beatles Anthology project at all. No documentary, no book, no archival compilations and certainly no "new" music.

Besides, I still think -and have ever since I heard it when they premiered the Anthology documentary in 1995- that "Free As A Bird" sounds a helluva lot more like the Wilburys than it does The Beatles...

no.nine and Zeki like this.
  22. No

Gumboo and Kwai Chang like this.
  23. vernon

vernon Well-Known Member

No, nothing recorded beyond 1970 is a Beatles song. The dream is over.

saborlord123, Gumboo and Kwai Chang like this.
  24. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Not to mention that if John had lived, they probably would have written a new song for the project and the production might have sounded exactly the same. Same goes for a hypothetical reunion album. Had all 4 of them made an album in the 90s, it sure wouldn't have a 60s sound. Why would it?

Lewisboogie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.