Do you still buy music or do you only stream?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I only buy physical.....and when the days comes it's no longer available to buy.....I stop.

There are a few artists who already have stopped releasing albums on CD and subsequently I have stopped buying their albums.

dalem5467, YardByrd and bherbert like this.
  2. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

This. I've never paid for any streaming service. Occasionally I will sample an album on YouTube, but I buy if I like, and I listen from my own CD/vinyl/mp3 collection.

detroit muscle and bherbert like this.
  3. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Literally about 22 minutes ago I paid $1.29 to download Green Day's "Holiday" single from Amazon, so I guess I am still a buyer. :)

bherbert likes this.
  4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

This forum is mostly full of baby boomers, so streaming wouldn’t be the top answer.

The_Windmill, Umbari and bherbert like this.
  5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I'm happy to admit I've downloaded a lot of music from, let's say, unofficial sources in order to give bands a try - but by doing that I've discovered dozens of bands I wouldn't have heard otherwise, whose albums I've then gone on to buy. Those artists have had money from me that they wouldn't have got if I hadn't been able to try their music first. I very rarely buy music by a band I don't know just based on a review.

Also, I've heard a few shocking stories of people buying (buying, not renting) albums or movies via streaming services, to later find they've disappeared from their library because of some rights issue. If a band changes label or something, I can't imagine someone turning up at my door demanding the CD back.

6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I have Spotify Premium, which I use daily.

I buy physical copies of albums and artists that mean a lot to me (my favorites) but I just stream the rest.

7. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I do both. I use Spotify to preview an album. If I love the whole album, I'll buy a CD or FLAC. If I'm just a casual fan of the artist or only like one song, I stick to streaming.

brownie61, angelees and bherbert like this.
  8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I ticked option 1, but I do occasionally stream. I mostly use streaming to pre-listen, in the manner in which I used to hear music on the radio before deciding to buy. If I find something I really like I might stream it several times, but if I find myself wanting to listen repeatedly I will seek out a physical copy - or, if that's not available, a paid digital download.

bherbert and John Porcellino like this.
  9. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

Perhaps. It's a little unclear.

I think we should include YouTube and Bandcamp for the conversation, though.

Me - I do a lot of listening online despite letting go of my premium Spotify account. I still buy records but supplement with a lot of PAID digital downloads.

Aren't artist revenues heavily dependent on tours? I go to as many shows as I can.

bherbert likes this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I only buy. I have nothing against streaming really, but it's just not for me. I already have too much music, plus I'm a musician, and a podcast fan...so most of my listening time is already accounted for.

bherbert likes this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I stream to buy these days. I stream to discover new music. If I like, I buy the CD if there is one to be had.

audiomixer and bherbert like this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

That's what I told her!

Phil Tate and bherbert like this.
  13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I voted streaming only, which has one caveat.
    Since my kids got Amazon echoes as gifts, I pay for an Amazon family plan. That is my primary source for music I don't already own (which has all been ripped to iTunes).
    My only purchases now are things that cannot be streamed (box sets, Dave's Picks, etc.)

bherbert likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sorry i thought stream was to download music to a disc, phone or hard drive.
    Yes i sometimes use Youtube.
    Interesting you said "Impressive"

bherbert likes this.
  15. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Exactly how I feel. And with how much I travel, I don’t miss my fave albums, I now can take them with me.

bherbert likes this.
  16. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

I don't do physical media. Most stuff is available streaming so I stick with that. I will buy the album download if it is a lesser known (not rich) artist. I think the last one I bought was Amanda Shires, for example.

bherbert likes this.
  17. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

I use streaming to check out music I'm considering buying in physical form, or to conveniently listen to music I already own in physical form. I only download things that are hard to find/expensive to buy in physical form. I'm old enough that if I really like some album, I want it on my shelf, in my collection. That said, since I work on a computer most of the day, I would say I actually stream more music than I listen to on CD nowadays.

bherbert likes this.
  18. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I may watch a video on YouTube a couple times a month, but an internet connection is not something that is required for me to enjoy music. I have a physical collection of 2,000 albums, and, believe it or not, that is enough for me to choose from when I want to relax and put something on.

bherbert likes this.
  19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Rarely buy. Always stream.

bherbert likes this.
  20. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

I only stream in my car. At home I listen to physical media.

bherbert likes this.
  21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Both for me. We have a family account on Apple Music. I also have a premium Spotify account, as I much prefer the interface. And I buy tons of vinyl.

bherbert likes this.
  22. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Physical only although I watch performances on YouTube.

lesterbangs, dalem5467 and bherbert like this.
  23. Bonzoghost

Bonzoghost Forum Resident

I buy music, always. Today's haul from HMV was The Doors debut (Rhino) and Pulp Fiction soundtrack on vinyl.... Janes Addiction Nothing Shocking CD, Pink Floyd's Endless River CD and the movie Stand By Me on DVD. All for under £50. So that's this evenings entertainment sorted :)

Grand_Ennui and bherbert like this.
  24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I do both. I buy music I really like and stream what I like a little or am just curious about. Lately I have found myself streaming albums I own just for the convenience.

bherbert likes this.
  25. talkradio

talkradio Faded Primadonna

I still buy used vinyl (no overpriced new records), and I sometimes buy a CD if it has more to offer than just the plain music. Those flimsy cardboard sleeves or 4 page "booklets" have no value for me. There has to be some special, good looking packaging.

Other than that, it's Spotify Premium.

bherbert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.