Do you still listen to Dan Fogelberg

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dynamic73, Sep 3, 2017.

1. dynamic73

dynamic73 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is this true? There has been No vinyl releases of this great rock legend for over 25 years. This is some kind of tragedy. How can a singer of his caliber. Not have any of his great music not reissued in this modern vinyl comeback. Maybe I hold him in higher esteem than the public or the record companies but I don't think so. This guy was awesome. On A lot of his albums you never knew what genre was coming up next. He could do it all and do it well. Rock, ballads, stories, classical, jazz, folk, bluegrass, and more.

How does someone as great he was, get overlooked? Does he deserve to be left out or is there some reason his catalog is not being released? What's going on here? I'd really like to know. Thankfully I have all of his LP's already but I find it strange that it's been so long since any reissues on vinyl.

2. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

I am a big Dan Fogelberg fan...but probably the reason that he hasn't been reissued on vinyl (at least not extensively - Friday Music released a new issues of Souvenirs and Twin Sons of Different Mothers - colored vinyl! - in 2016)is the fact that you can find his records pretty much anywhere, and they still sound good. I love Nether Lands....great album.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    siebrand, Grootna, WMTC and 7 others like this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes. Seems like he had fans who took care of their LPs.

4. Two I would listen to more than these original albums is the Portrait box set and this year's Carnegie Hall release.
    The 3 I ticked turned out to be the most popular choices which may be the first time this has happened to me in the history of these polls.

carlwm likes this.
  5. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Grist hits, only when getting some.
    Otherwise never listen, rarely.

rxcory, Juggsnelson and JoeF. like this.
  6. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I like his songs. The credits on the records read like a "who's who" of '70's musicians - Joe Walsh is all over "Souvenirs", Russ Kunkel and Kenny Passarelli play on many albums too

I see a lot of his records on the used bins.

I have Souvenirs, Captured Angel and Innocent age.

bluerondo, ispace, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
  7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Jeez, no love for Home Free? The first time I heard To The Morning in a record store, it stopped me in my tracks.

stufeg, Billchi_11, Rocco1 and 10 others like this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'll confess that I have to be in the mood to listen to Dan and his albums and more often than not, I'll simply grab his really well sequenced original "Greatest Hits" on LP or CD. Each and every one of Dan's albums has something worthy to offer, in my opinion. I personally find that his later albums starting around "Windows And Walls" (and naturally not including "High Country Snows"), seemed like he was starting to run out of "great" songs and that his muse was starting to fade. I never much cared for his later songs that attempted to rock, as they always seemed forced to me. I will add that one of my all-time favorite tracks by Dan is the title song of "Windows And Walls", which I call one of his last truly great songs. The two albums with Tim were interesting, but these days they don't satisfy like they used to and really seem a bit dated.

Crossfire#3 and Mooserfan like this.
  9. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Haven't listened since dorm days in college. I do see the records in dollar bins, often.

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Always loved Neatherlands, my wife is a huge fan of his, she has every LP, me, well I'm more stuck on Netherlands than anything, but I can appreciate her love for his other stuff.

I won't argue if she wants to spin one of his, that's for sure. :agree::cool::agree:

Edit, looks like the voting agrees on Netherlands so far.

stufeg, Regginold31 and laf848 like this.
  11. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I over heard some guys in a record store joking about the most seen used records at GW and other thrifts,flea mkts.,yard sales, etc. and the usual suspects came up like Herb Alpert,Welk,Montovani,Gleason,Readers Digest box sets,Glen Campbell,etc.. So, the buyer guy at the shop says....don't forget Dan Fogelberg,if I never see another DF record I'll be relieved. Sure enough, I was standing near Dan's section and it was overflowing with nr. mint copies of his entire catalogue.

Joti Cover and Northwind like this.
  12. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I love Dan. His music played an important part of my high school/college years. I had a couple buddies that did acoustic stuff and his music played a huge role. I was fortunate enough to see him in the 80's.

That being said, my favorite was always Captured Angel. Old Tennessee is probably my favorite here. A perfect album to me. Second was the Innocent Age. Such a beautifully done album and who doesn't get a bit misty for Some Old Lang Syne? The third interestingly enough is High Country Snows. Just a superb album that he stretched out on a bit with some great country artists. Sutter's Mill is such a great tune. Dan got me through some tough solemn times in my life. I miss him. Like the OP, I also have his LP's.

ispace, Joti Cover and bluerondo like this.
  13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Souvenirs is the only album of his I ever bonded with and really enjoyed. I hate to say it but he always seemed like a "B grade" artist, much like Poco, because of the competition. CSNY,Eagles,Jackson Browne,Joni,JT,Steve Miller,etc. from the same era were all better IMO. I always respected him as a musician and his choice of Martin guitars probably helped sell a bunch. Leader Of The Band was a great piece of writing and recording.

frightwigwam likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'captured angel' is all fogelberg (other than some drums)...it is, in a word, a masterpiece, it is a rare perfect album.

the harmonies, all fogelberg, are magnificent.

arcamsono, steveray, Rocco1 and 6 others like this.
  15. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I have boxes of records that I sell from time to time. Just excess stuff picked up over the years. I think every Dan Fogelberg record is in there. Maybe I'll listen to the winner of this poll next time I'm going through them.

16. dynamic73

dynamic73 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have never collected any of Dan Fogelberg's albums until about 10 years ago. Even though I had heard most of his stuff thru friends and on the radio. I now have just about every one of his albums. And now after hearing most everything he's done. I have to say, I've come to respect his work more. His "Portrait Box" set is outstanding. It gives you a little of all his different music types. I really love the song "The Mintrels" off the "Portrait Box". I think the "Portrait Box" would be great to have reissued on vinyl. Would it sell? I don't know but we can dream can't we.

Fischman, ispace and carlwm like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

For me, one of the holy trinity of male singer/songwriters (the other two being Al Stewart & Gordon Lightfoot).

I think every album from Home Free to The Wild Places (with the exception of Exiles - his "difficult divorce" record) is essential listening. All of the others have many fine songs & are worth owning. Few performers have been quite so consistently excellent over a long period of time.

Regretfully, I didn't get the chance to see Dan live - did he ever play the U.K.? - but his live records, including the recent & really rather wonderful Carnegie set are worthy consolations.

Anyone know if the long talked about tribute album is up for a release?

Fischman, ispace, keyXVII and 3 others like this.
  18. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I think Dan was the first artist where I owned all the artist's records. This would have been 1980. I was lucky enough to see him 3 times from '81 to '95.
    Home Free is my favorite, but they are all great in my opinion. I do still listen and just bought an original Souvenirs LP for $6.50.

19. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I'd say that Souvenirs is by far his best. Have the original.

Myke likes this.
  20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've taken care of my vinyl since 1972.

Rocco1 and The Lew like this.
  21. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

MYKE. I have the first 6. Phoenix on CD and the other 5 on original vinyl in top notch condition. Love em vinyls.

22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Fan of Souvenirs and
    The Innocent Age, can't go wrong with the old 2 disc or US Sterling GF.
    Still need to pick up Captured Angel.

23. John54

John54 Senior Member

All I have is Nether Lands but it is excellent, not a bad track anywhere to be found on it. One of the best LPs of the year, indeed the decade.

stufeg, Fischman, Regginold31 and 5 others like this.
  24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Souvenirs
    Phoenix
    Windows And Walls

I love Dan. He was a great talent. I remember this video when it came out. Good times.

Dan Fogelberg - The Language of Love.

oboogie, souldeep69, ispace and 4 others like this.
  25. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I have Home Free, Souvenirs, Captured Angel, Netherlands and Innocent Age on original vinyl, so it never occurred to me there had been no vinyl reissues of late. 25 years?!

Still listen often, and we in Maine, of course, LOVE "The Reach" .

I think of Dan every time we drive DownEast on Rte, 1, (which is Maine-speak for traveling up the coast in a northeasterly direction--it is "DownEast" because the Gulf Stream flows south to north in a northeasterly direction...so one is actually traveling "down stream" when sailing or driving up the coast). Anyway, Dan's home was as we all know, in Maine, was in DownEast Maine on Deer Isle. Beautiful spot.

oboogie, ispace, carlwm and 2 others like this.