Do you still use a VCR and VHS tapes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i do, but only to tape shows for my classes at school. if there was another way to do it i would, but i have not yet found that way.

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

All in the dumpster :cheers:

3. paste

paste Forum Resident

I just moved a few months ago and I got rid of hundreds of old tapes filled with movies, concerts, tv shows, etc... that I was no longer interested in or had upgraded versions on DVD/digital files. I still have several boxes worth of commercial releases that haven't been released on DVD, as well as stuff I taped myself (off air tv recordings, old home movies, and footage of some of my old bands) or things acquired through trades.

I'm slowly converting stuff using a Panasonic combo dvd/vhs/hard drive that I use to transfer vhs to the hard drive to edit, add chapter stops, etc... then burn to dvd. I've also got a couple of regular vhs and super vhs players in storage in case the combo player ever dies on me.

4. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I occasionally use my VCR for one purpose; my kids love to watch a complete set of Little Rascals tapes that I have. I never got the DVDs.

5. Yes, I still have a vcr and use it almost dailey. I don't see any point in rebuying a bunch of movies that I already own.

beat_truck likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, not in use...was used for copying our home movies to HD.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

I wish I could for the nostalgia factor but my VCR literally exploded two years ago when I tried to make it work.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

VHS was a fine format for it's day. I voted Yes, but only to copy rare music footage from VHS to DVD. VHS was good for it's time but there's no reason to go back to it now. The biggest shame about VHS dying out is that loads of tapes with rare TV footage on that won't be repeated will be getting thrown out.

Grant likes this.
  9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I had/have no nostalgia for the VHS tapes I had. Someone else mentioned a dumpster and whether that was a figure of speech I'm not sure, but I literally threw mine in a dumpster and never looked back. At that time I had a few DVDs and the picture quality was so superior I had zero problems re-buying movies on the new format. Not to mention the superior features like no more rewinding, bonus features, commentarys, etc.

10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

The Abyss special edition VHS did come with a making of documentary.
    I suppose there could be more?
    Maybe that's something for another thread.....

11. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

I use VCRs extensively. When quality isn't critical it's an extremely reliable, mature technology for timeshifting. At this point I'm far more concerned about whether the video source I'm trying to record will crap out instead of the VCR. That said, I don't bother with prerecorded VHS tapes.

12. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Yep, and I sell on ebay out of print VHS Tapes. You'd be stunned how many movies are not out on DVD or the version that is has been severely altered due to music publishing rights or because prints that they are using for DVD are not original prints of the movies.

John B Good and clhboa like this.
  13. Personally many of the first generation dvds had grainy picture, and overall i'm not too interested in the special features.

14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Not for nothing. Before there was VHS, there was NOTHING!

Because of VCR's, VHS tapes and PVT's from Blockbuster and other stores, I have had the opportunity to view thousands of movies that I would have never had a chance to see.

We would get together at my house and have movie nights, since the early eighties.

By the time, I decided to dismantle and sell off the collection, I had amassed 3,700 prerecorded VHS tapes.

I continue to have movie nights, where we all get together. I also play music and show YouTube movies.

I sold off the collection. I still have several boxes (legal file boxes) of tapes I collected, about 200 in all.

I do have a CD/VHS player recorder, but I don't use it. Just bought a couple of years ago. VHS looks sort of OK on a 21" set or smaller. At 60" not so much though.

Here is the deal. I need to make more room for my stereo boxes and such. The tapes have been stored in a closet off of my office for years.

If anyone wants them, they are yours for FREE, a donation for shipping is welcome (after they have been shipped).

There are about 26 tapes in each file box (from memory) and are foreign and relatively unusual movies for the most part. A long time ago, most of these were not available yet on DVD's.

Anyone Interested, please send me a PM.

The VHS/ CD player is available too for someone who takes the tapes.

15. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Voted yes.
    I still have 3 or 4 working VCRs in storage and about a 100 tapes of stuff I've recorded over the years, music clips, documentaries and movies that may never be available on disc.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

how 'bout a VTR?

What is a Video Tape Recorder?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

incorrect
    see post #62

Grant likes this.
  18. SandAndGlass

I like the top unit! It has that kind of "take me home with you" quality :p

Yes, there have been R2R video tape machines. I have used them in college.

Just limited on the off the shelf software solutions. :laugh:

19. SandAndGlass

You may want to get that valuable stuff, transferred to another format. I would not count on having those working VHS machines working indefinitely.

I have old programs that I authored, on floppy disks and those removable hard drives, the size of floppy disks. I need to get this stuff off and to another format, until it disappears also. Used to have 8" floppy disks, but they got thrown out when I was away.

Linus, Grant and Vidiot like this.
  20. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

yes
    not really consumer friendly

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

Yea, but I still have eyes for the top one.

22. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

yep!
    cool machine and amazing technology for the time.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Correction: we had Betamax for 18 months before VHS.

I think this is very wise advice.

24. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

My last VHS recording was 2002.
    I bought a Philips DVD recorder 15 years ago and used that until I got a Hard drive PVR. I still archive some important shows from the PVR to the DVD recorder.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have a Panasonic dual VHS/DVD recorder that I bought from Target right before they discontinued them. I can probably count the times i've used the VCR half on both hands in the last seven years. I use it mainly to copy old tapes without copyguard on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.