do you think it's worth keeping records you don't really listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by veloso2, Nov 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

i have more than 5000 cds and i think i'm really listening frequently to only 10% of it. do you think it's worth keeping them, i'm in a mood, it's like to sell a great part of it? what would you do?

Crimson Witch and Timos like this.
  2. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

I would consider going SACD on the albums that are available in that format. Pay it with the stuff you want to get rid of.

veloso2 likes this.
  3. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

If you don’t need the space or the money, keep them.

I ripped 4,000 to a hard drive, then got rid of them.

now I’ve bought about half back again (at bargain prices, since nobody pays much for secondhand CDs these days).

I find a physical product is a nicer listening experience than a file on my computer.

and I have gone back to stuff I hadn’t played for a long time and reminded myself how good some of them are.

4. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I’ve had a similar experience with CDs- ended up buying back much of what I once got rid of. I’ve recently however gotten rid of a number of LPs I’ve had for years that I never listen to. I think it has a lot to do with why you picked up a recording in the first place.

If it’s something that was picked up because it was cheap, was an unsolicited gift, was bought in a lot, etc, you never listen to it, and wouldn’t otherwise have sought it out, send it on to someone who will appreciate it.

6. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I think once you start getting into the thousands you probably do need to ask yourself if you can weed a bit. It’s good to have a collection, but it’s also good to have a collection of stuff that you at least might want to play or otherwise have some attachment to. It’s a tough call, especially with CDs that you *can* just rip to a hard drive and arguably have a better experience with than a physical copy (i.e. if I use something like musicbee I can create playlists, record when I last listened to it, the number of listens etc). I think one should see weeding as part of interacting with the collection … you can make a day of going through old stuff, playing it, asking yourself if you like/want it etc. It’s sortof nice, like the being in the record store flicking through records part is part of the process of collecting.

Taxman, Eric_Generic and rcsrich like this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I often make myself this question too.

I have lots of music because it's "interesting" or a "classic" and I never want to play it.

Neu!, My bloody valentine, Captain Beefheart, The Pop Group, Galaxie 500, free jazz... it's always there in the shelf.

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I keep everything. I like having them on a shelf and being able to look though and pick items I haven't heard for a while

Edit: I also like the constant visual reminder that I have too many CD's and therefore it discourages me from unnecessarily pressing the "order" button quite frequently.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  9. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Definitely keep ‘em. You might go back to them in a few months/years and they’ll be there for ya. If you don’t have the space, make the space!

I’ve regretted getting rid of every single CD I’ve ever offloaded. Most of them I bought again!

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm in this quandary. But I look at most items and think that I might want to pull it out and play someday.

Tullman, Who'sTommy, TonyACT and 3 others like this.
  11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Maybe it goes back to my childhood when I couldn’t afford many records and they were all something special. I like owning records as much as playing them. I like seeing them neatly arranged on shelves and would find it hard to decide what to sell.

Time is often short and my listening is heavily biased toward newer acquisitions. I still enjoy throwing on something random from the shelves though and I never really know when or which one it’ll be. There’s a fine line between collecting and hoarding I guess.

12. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

You can't play them all, but you can bet that you will suddenly develop a need to play some of those you decided to part with. I think it's comforting just having them, really. They're like old friends.

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

You need everything. Half my collection is in storage at the moment and I'm really feeling it.

14. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Most of my physical music is stuff that I will play. If it sits there long enough it will eventually be
    culled out of my collection. Did this recently, and it feels good. I know everything there now is a "keeper"...

Taxman likes this.
  16. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Forum Resident

I am sort of amazed by how much of my collection I listen to. But purging has never been an issue for me. If it burdens you, let it go.

17. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I don't keep anything I won't play. I can see keeping something if you think you can flip it, but just to have "in case?" No.

RhodyDave125, sathvyre and Taxman like this.
  18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

You just never know when you'll decide you really need to hear a particular album. I cleared out a whole bunch about 20 years ago, and have spent the last decade tracking copies down and buying them all again. Stuff that 20 years ago I'd thought I wouldn't ever be bothered about hearing again, suddenly becomes the music/act you get back into.

EG.

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Keep it all

Armjim and Northernlight like this.
  20. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Forum Resident

Keep the files. If there CDs you can rip them and get rid of the physical discs. Also means you've got room to hone the 5000 you do want on disc. A smaller curated collection is far more interesting than a mass of stuff you don't listen too.

Mike McMann likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I can't pick from one day to the next what I am likely to want to listen to.
    One can guarantee, that if I get rid of something, I will likely want to listen to it at some point, and it won't be there....
    Been there, done that, actually twice.... unlikely to do it again

22. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I do now but I didn't in the past. I own around 4000 records and probably sold half of that again in the last decade. Often I think oh I will play such and such tonight and find that I sold it.

I have ended up buying some of them back. So if you have the space keep them as the world turns and you find yourself wanting to play them again.

23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’ve hit the point where, if I’m not planning to ever listen to it again, it’s gone.

Maltman and Dale A B like this.
  24. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Maybe not today, or even next year, but when you want to listen to it, it's there.

25. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

I only get rid of music I really don't like anymore. The rest stays, because you never know when you want to listen to it again.

JKCanuck, bever70, rmath84 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.